Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, so I have the following in my collection for the First Edition Power Grid at the moment:

BGG Promo Card Set
New Power Plant Cards
Northern Europe (UK&Ireland)
Benelux/Central Europe
France/Italy

There seems to be so many maps and items available but Im not sure what I would get next, or even if I should get anything next.

1. Based on my collection so far, what do you think Im missing sorely out on? Which maps do you really enjoy that I should get next?

2. Do any of the new expansion from the new edition cross over to the original first edition and if so, do you believe there are any that really improve the game play? Which would you get if so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebathius wrote:
1. Based on my collection so far, what do you think Im missing sorely out on? Which maps do you really enjoy that I should get next?

There are plenty of people here far more knowledgeable than me, but the main one that occurred to me was the China/Korea expansion. Specifically the Korea map, which has 2 resource markets, and each turn you can only choose one of them to buy from! (China is very different too, with the power plants coming out in numerical order for most of the game, rather than randomly.)

Quote:
2. Do any of the new expansion from the new edition cross over to the original first edition and if so, do you believe there are any that really improve the game play? Which would you get if so?

I assume by the new edition you mean Power Grid Deluxe: Europe/North America? There are only two expansions for it at present, and both of them are useable with the original Power Grid too. I don't have either, but I think Power Grid: Fabled Expansion looks very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own most of the Power Grid expansions. I have found the ones I use most are New Power Plant Cards and Benelux/Central Europe (because Benelux play time is about 30 min shorter than other maps). Unless you play Power Grid a lot, your current collection is probably adequate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
As Eric says, I wouldn't add anything to your collection. I did the mistake a few years ago, but really a couple of double sided-maps are enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say China/Korea and Russia/Japan would be the next two sets worth getting, if you're going to play a lot of PG. Each adds something very unique and challenging.

Maybe Quebec/Baden, but I'd put that one on the bubble. Or just Power Grid Deluxe.

I find Spain/Portugal and India to be thoroughly lousy to play, so I can't recommend those sets. Australia is fun but extra fiddly, and Brazil is just meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebathius wrote:
There seems to be so many maps and items available but Im not sure what I would get next, or even if I should get anything next.

If your logged plays are accurate (only 1 play of Power Grid) then I would be in no rush to buy more expansions. The base game itself is already good, the Benelux map is handy if you want a shorter game, the Central Europe and France and Italy maps are all cool. Enjoy what you already have for a while.

The only exception would be if you want to play some 2-player games; then you might consider Power Grid: The Robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a recent pole that asked people to rank the maps. I believe it was posted about 6 weeks ago. Has all the maps listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clovis chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
+1 to China/Korea. You get 2 very interesting maps in one buy! Both have interesting twists to the basic Power Grid rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Sebathius wrote:

If your logged plays are accurate (only 1 play of Power Grid) then I would be in no rush to buy more expansions. The base game itself is already good, the Benelux map is handy if you want a shorter game, the Central Europe and France and Italy maps are all cool. Enjoy what you already have for a while. :)

The only exception would be if you want to play some 2-player games; then you might consider Power Grid: The Robots.

I wish I could say that my plays on BGG were accurate; but unfortunately while I like to post my plays into the system, I used to forget to post them until I got the app, "BG Stats" for my phone. Im hoping to alleviate this issue lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do appreciate the comments, Its good to know that the expansions for the current new edition that came out will cross over. Ill have to look at those more closely too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
strong +1 for China/Korea. Especially the Korea map - it's a game changer. Your maps are probably the easier, IMHO... and PG gives its best in tight games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
As it says on the box for the Power Grid: Brazil/Spain & Portugal box "buy them all!"

If you are going to play it regularly and will have more than two players then why not get all the original maps? Other stuff is more to your choice, I have everything but usually just play the maps, rarely robots or promo cards.

Note I am a bit of a Power Grid completist, so don't necessarily believe everything I say meeple

+1 for China/Korea

Australia/Indian Subcontinent is the most tricky of the expansion maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing about getting all the maps I was a little concerned bout was storage. I noticed that one of the expansions (Stock Market) is basically an almost empty box for this purpose, but Im not sure if Im willing to pay the $20+ just for that yet.

So China/Korea first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebathius wrote:
One thing about getting all the maps I was a little concerned bout was storage. I noticed that one of the expansions (Stock Market) is basically an almost empty box for this purpose, but Im not sure if Im willing to pay the $20+ just for that yet.

That one is the SECOND Collector's Box. The first one was provided with Power Grid: Brazil/Spain & Portugal. And you'd need both to accomodate all the maps (barely). If you ever decide to collect all the maps, I'd strongly suggest an alternate storage solutions (there are some good examples here on BGG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.