Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Help with a name rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jenny Griffiths

Aberdeen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,
My girlfriend and I are thinking of starting up a stream & youtube channel based on gaming, specifically board games although we might later play other modes.

I was wondering I could get some feedback on the name that we've come up with so far: Girls & Games

Is that too generic, would it perk your interest? What do you picture?

Many thanks all!

Jenny.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It gets right to the point, but I think it would be beneficial to use a name that has a little more "pop" to it. "Sell the sizzle, not the steak." That being said, I have exactly ZERO ideas that are better than Girls & Games. So, I have added nothing to yet another forum discussion. soblue
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in the streaming world you'll be accused of having all success stemming from "because girl", regardless of the quality of your content. It'll probably also draw some additional trolls, though board game streams fly mostly under the radar anyway (unlike League of Legends where trolls seem to specifically seek out female streamers to harass) so this MIGHT be less of a concern.

It's a sad reality but it's there and I think putting Girls right in the name will only exacerbate that problem.

On the other hand, since when should we let potential trolls direct our actions? I guess it depends on how it plays out in reality, and what your threshold for ignoring idiots is soblue
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a bunch of “girl” titled boardgame related video series on YouTube. If I’m honest, it’s a very passive name and might make it difficult to set yourselves apart. That said, I don’t have a solution.

The Women and Gaming forum might have much more to say on the topic.

Good luck!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cekkie wrote:
Hi all,
My girlfriend and I are thinking of starting up a stream & youtube channel based on gaming, specifically board games although we might later play other modes.

I was wondering I could get some feedback on the name that we've come up with so far: Girls & Games

Is that too generic, would it perk your interest? What do you picture?

Many thanks all!

Jenny.


Are you planning to do all kind of games, or a specific theme/interest/mechanism? What sets you apart from other channels? Why you want to do this? Maybe these questions can help in finding a name?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think the name has to be one of the things to set the tone for your channel. So while Girls & Games gets to the point, we don't really know anything about what new things you two would bring to the video/streaming environment. So what do you plan to do different or better than everyone else? Once you figure out or just verbalize that, then that may be a good basis for inspiration of a name.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruesailmana wrote:
Cekkie wrote:
Hi all,
My girlfriend and I are thinking of starting up a stream & youtube channel based on gaming, specifically board games although we might later play other modes.

I was wondering I could get some feedback on the name that we've come up with so far: Girls & Games

Is that too generic, would it perk your interest? What do you picture?

Many thanks all!

Jenny.


Are you planning to do all kind of games, or a specific theme/interest/mechanism? What sets you apart from other channels? Why you want to do this? Maybe these questions can help in finding a name?


I've been ninja'd!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
Avatar
mbmbmb
If you are going to stick with the generic, then Girls With Games would be better. Girls & Games sounds like two separate items in a list.

Personally, I think you should go with something that has a little more flavour, even if it is really just meaningless words, examples: Mushroomhead Games, Cheeseflakers, Flattopping. It might not tell you anything about the channel, but it won't get lost in a million vague video descriptions that will rank well above you videos until you get some success.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bradlee
United States
Bolton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If all else fails, go with a name that doesn't mean anything whatsoever. After all, "Stealing Your Dad As If It Was Easy" is a fast food review podcast.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FlamezOfGamez wrote:
If all else fails, go with a name that doesn't mean anything whatsoever. After all, "Stealing Your Dad As If It Was Easy" is a fast food review podcast.


That’s a great title. While it doesn’t give you a clue about content, it does make me want to listen. It doesn’t instantly make me yawn
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan sisbarro
United States
las cruces
NM
flag msg tools
mb

your title sounds great! Here's a couple others:

1. Girls2Games

2. It's Her Turn Games or Her Turn Games

3. Game On Girls

4. GeekGirlGames

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GG Gaming just so you can keep your original idea but it can be read as Good Game, Genuine Geek, Grumpy & Grey (sry that's me) or even hold a competition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Babes on Board
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Boardgame Mistresses
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that to the Youtube audience, "Games" means video games, so you should probably add "board" or "table" to your title.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
I think that to the Youtube audience, "Games" means video games, so you should probably add "board" or "table" to your title.

Exactly. On BGG it is clear what is meant with "Games", not so much anywhere else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadly Games
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kainu
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How's Dames & Games? Game Dames? Board Dames?
That's all I have lol.

Edit: scratch the first one, it's already a gentleman's club whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hoffman

Van Wert
Ohio
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Girls Playing Games...?

Kind of has that double entendre to it too!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Glasgow
United States
Wadsworth
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Broads on Board(Games)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Girls 1 Game

cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Griffiths

Aberdeen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, general consensus seems to be something with a little more oomph

bordgamesdotexe wrote:
I think in the streaming world you'll be accused of having all success stemming from "because girl", regardless of the quality of your content. It'll probably also draw some additional trolls, though board game streams fly mostly under the radar anyway (unlike League of Legends where trolls seem to specifically seek out female streamers to harass) so this MIGHT be less of a concern.

It's a sad reality but it's there and I think putting Girls right in the name will only exacerbate that problem.

On the other hand, since when should we let potential trolls direct our actions? I guess it depends on how it plays out in reality, and what your threshold for ignoring idiots is


I think trolls will always be a problem, regardless of what the name is. Sadly that's just the world we live in

Ruesailmana wrote:

Are you planning to do all kind of games, or a specific theme/interest/mechanism? What sets you apart from other channels? Why you want to do this? Maybe these questions can help in finding a name?


Okay, I think this is the crux of it.
It would probably be all games, as we have a variety of tastes.
We want to do this mainly for a fun passtime, more than a full-fledged career out of it.
Now what will set us apart? We're a little bit whacky, and we were hoping to both stream live games, and then on the youtube edit these with how the players could have utilised the game better*, as well as just general reviews and the such.

* So have the game in the background, and a voice over at parts discussing mistakes, fatal or otherwise, which may have lead to the game's outcomes.


Robotsandpuppets wrote:

Edit: scratch the first one, it's already a gentleman's club whistle


Well hot-diggity-dog! That's perfect
It never ceases to amaze me what gentlemen clubs will call themselves -.-

It's clear that I'm going to have to have a big think on this. I'll have a brainstorm today and I'll come back with our vision. Thanks everyone for your input so far, and I'll ask for some more help in a little bit

Jenny xx
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Meeple Girls
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.