Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: POLL : What percentage (estimate) of your games may never be played? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I think every gamer who buys a game for himself or herself expects to play it. There are a lot who buy and have them on the shelf unplayed forever as their collection or dare I say it, "mania" grows.

Except for collectors items, what percentage (estimate) of your games may never be played?
Poll
What percentage (estimate) of your games may never be played?
0 - I play them all
Less than 5 percent
5-10
11-15
16-20
21-25
Over 25 - Oh My!
      237 answers
Poll created by Oiler1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I qualify my answer as I am an older gentleman. I will try to play all my games but realistically and sadly I know I won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I play all my games (although, some of them get played once or twice when they are new and then sit around for years before I pull them off the shelf again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you mean never play... again. I.e. include games that you have played? Or did you mean have not played, and will not play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt P
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops, initially misread your question.

I expect 0, I don't buy any game expecting to never play it. Always have the intent to play them all at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again might be 50%! soblue

But there's always hope, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Depends when I die.
Which could mean anywhere between 65% - 0%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
I assume you mean never play... again. I.e. include games that you have played? Or did you mean have not played, and will not play?

They are on the shelf so I guess they can be played at any time.

The point is I want to know besides me how many games may be never unopened or unplayed games as an estimate during your lifetime.

Of course, you may have played them with others who own the games but these are your own purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
curtc wrote:

The point is I want to know besides me how many games may be never unopened or unplayed games as an estimate during your lifetime.

Your answer is unclear, but what I think I hear you saying is you're looking for games that neither have been played, nor will be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
BackIssueBacklog wrote:

I expect 0, I don't buy any game expecting to never play it. Always have the intent to play them all at least once.

Some people go bananas and buy more than they can realistically play in their lifetime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:
curtc wrote:

Your answer is unclear, but what I think I hear you saying is you're looking for games that neither have been played, nor will be played.

I am saying realistically when you look at your collection of unplayed games, how many do you think will or may never hit the table during your lifetime.

It's just an estimate. I am guessing some people who have games on the shelf for years unopened may forget about them and never be played.

From the replies I realize my question may be vague so I hope this clears it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you vote if you spend a casual summer afternoon painstakingly sleeving a game and then a year++ goes by without you ever playing it? cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
Cloud break over Centennial Hall, Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, after a severe thunderstorm
mbmbmbmbmb
AS mentioned above, if I do live for another 35 years or so, I hope to have played each of them at least once...including solo or online. I've gone through about half...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please ask Jason from the Dice Tower this question.

I am sure many of you have seen the video of his game collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I am saying realistically when you look at your collection of unplayed games, how many do you think will or may never hit the table during your lifetime.

Ok, "unplayed" games is the key that was missing. Maybe change the thread title and intro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way over 75% right now and likely to go up, I buy 5-6 games per month or two but I rarely have time for more than a play session every other month. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
60-75%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bradlee
United States
Bolton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At the moment, the only games in "my" collection that I haven't played are ones that my parents owned from before I was born.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Wow, I didn't realize there are some of us who have a way higher percent of unplayed games over 25% of their collection and up to as high at 75%.

All the power to you who can afford it and have the room! I wonder why you buy so many? Certainly not all the games can be that good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 18 games that I've never played at all.

They fall into a few categories:

4x games I've had for a really long time, or that Lisa had from before we combined our collections together. Probably never play these:
221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game, The Beastlord, Dragon Hunt, Dinosaur Chess.

3x games from con door prizes of gifts from well intention-ed family that I have little or not interest in. Probably never play these:
Hit the Deck, Money!, Noir: BGG Edition.

2x games that I bought because they looked interesting at the time, then decided they didn't look interesting and will probably never play:
Quest For Power, Diceland: Cyburg.

3x games that I might like to play, but that seem like too much effort to figure out or play. Might get played eventually, but uncertain:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases, Destiny Aurora: Renegades, Hollywood Lives.

3x games that were KS games with minis that looked attractive, but take a lot of effort to play. Uncertain, maybe even odds:
Arcadia Quest: Inferno, Rising Sun, Widower's Wood: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game.

3x games that are just new and I definitely will get around to playing:
Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor, Arkham Horror: The Card Game, Yamataï.

EDIT: Oops! Corrected Blood Rage to Rising Sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of your dang business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
BackIssueBacklog wrote:

Some people go bananas and buy more than they can realistically play in their lifetime.

I suspect most people who answered the poll are lying to themselves. Likely everyone other than the people who answered the largest percentage. There's a reason that most of the friendless users Friendless rating is far far below zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in one acronym, FOMO (Fear of Missing Out). In this hobby in particular, where good games can go out of print for a long time, hearing about a game being excellent will pull me in all the time.

I played and enjoyed very much Lords of Waterdeep so, when I heard and read about Champions of Midgard being a LoW killer, I just had to buy it right away because if I waited until I was ready to play, it would might no longer be available.

But, I understand I have to curb my impulses, how many skirmish, deck builders, resource gathering and/or engine building games do I have to have?

I have the disposable income, I'm starting to run out of space though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:
BackIssueBacklog wrote:

I suspect most people who answered the poll are lying to themselves. Likely everyone other than the people who answered the largest percentage. There's a reason that most of the friendless users Friendless rating is far far below zero.
I was all like, "Only 25%???"

Pete (found that an easy click)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I've got 18 games that I've never played at all.

They fall into a few categories:

4x games I've had for a really long time, or that Lisa had from before we combined our collections together. Probably never play these:
221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game, The Beastlord, Dragon Hunt, Dinosaur Chess.

3x games from con door prizes of gifts from well intention-ed family that I have little or not interest in. Probably never play these:
Hit the Deck, Money!, Noir: BGG Edition.

2x games that I bought because they looked interesting at the time, then decided they didn't look interesting and will probably never play:
Quest For Power, Diceland: Cyburg.

3x games that I might like to play, but that seem like too much effort to figure out or play. Might get played eventually, but uncertain:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases, Destiny Aurora: Renegades, Hollywood Lives.

3x games that were KS games with minis that looked attractive, but take a lot of effort to play. Uncertain, maybe even odds:
Arcadia Quest: Inferno, Blood Rage, Widower's Wood: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game.

3x games that are just new and I definitely will get around to playing:
Escape the Room: Mystery at the Stargazer's Manor, Arkham Horror: The Card Game, Yamataï.

DUDE!!! BLOOD RAGE!!! It's one of the only games I made sure to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.