Normandy: The Beginning of the End» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reaction question *for designers and players* :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
Question with Reaction

So lets say I have a unit (UNIT A) in Reaction and a opposing unit moves (UNIT B), thus I activate reaction on UNIT A marking it FINISHED.

Now another unit (UNIT C) moves into UNIT A range UNIT A cannot fire since it is has FINISHED, correct?

Howabout this...

When UNIT A fires Reaction it is marked finished but if UNIT B is still advancing it can still fire upon the unit with FF halved.

If UNIT B moves closer UNIT A can fire again and but with its FF halved again.

Wouldn't this mitigate the tactic of moving a unit close to UNIT A so it uses up its Reaction and can't fire on UNIT C.

Any thoughts on this edit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Romero
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mb
imo.. I think is fine as it is.

Unit A must save reaction fire to use only one time in a turn.

Perhaps dont shoot to Unit B was a mistake, due Unit C wont move later, as an example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Managing op fire in games like this is um, er..ah..half the battle . There are quite a few other games that present the same tough choice..."do I fire now, or wait for a better target that might pose more of a threat, OR never show up".

Changing that would significantly impact how the game plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes I agree, having 1 Reaction fire is fine after those the platoon gets a penalty... because imagine if UNIT B gets shot at and is missed, he can advance freely to UNIT A after the failed Reaction attempt. Basically it still gives UNIT A a small chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
Managing op fire in games like this is um, er..ah..half the battle . There are quite a few other games that present the same tough choice..."do I fire now, or wait for a better target that might pose more of a threat, OR never show up".

Changing that would significantly impact how the game plays.

Hopefully an Advanced rule option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drawing reaction fire with a single platoon is a valid strategy at tactical scale like this. On a related note, the defensive fire also poses similar problem. Is it a single-shot defensive fire against enemy unit(s) attempting to assault? Or every time an enemy assault is subject to defensive fire? Can enemy units attempt assault individually? All are questions in a current game I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Is it a single-shot defensive fire against enemy unit(s) attempting to assault?

When checking between LBF1940, PtH and NTBE, rules seem to evolve (AKA be different) atr each rules incarnation.
Unless mistaken, any unit, even finished, may fire in its hex vs assaulting enemies.
The problem is, if two enemy platoons move separately and enter the target hex in the same activation, do they enter the target hex separately (suffering def fire each in its turn) or do they enter simultaneously?
According to 4.3.2 ('In close assaults all platoon that will participate in the assault can move adjacent to the target hex and wait for the others, and assault is as per the rules on assaults'), this is no more the case.

Marc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.