Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: fan [+] gloomhaven [+] [View All]
Curt Evans
United States
Dayton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wanted to play a 4 player solo and was going to mix and match the pairing and focus on a two or three player team with other characters in the party but on the bench. It hasn't happened. I ranked my original 6 starting classes by the amount of intrigue I had in playing them and the order was:

Mindthief
Scoundrel
Brute
Tinkerer
Spellweaver
Cragheart

Spellweaver and Cragheart are not active for me, but will be up soon enough after retirements. After playing the game for a couple weeks, my order is easily:

Brute
Scoundrel
Tinkerer
Mindthief

I saw Isaac's YouTube on the classes and he mentioned that the Brute wasn't the most well received class. I love it. It is a great tank and I seem to never run out of attacks or health. It is definately the strongest player in my party.

I find the Scoundrel a lot of fun and her mobility is fantastic but I lose cards just about every game because of damage. I couldn't play her without a Tinkerer to heal.

Tinkerer is very poor for attack but he keeps my party alive, especially with his heals and card restorations. His reclaim all discard pile is the most powerful card in the game for me. I would like just a few more melee options but I may get there soon enough. My Tinkerer is just L3.

Mindthief has been a little tougher to play than I originally thought. She does very light melee and is typically the recipient of my Tinkerer actions which reclaim cards. I augment her attacks with +2 normally, but that costs me the availability of the wound action on the bottom. I typically have this character snatching up coins at the end of scenarios. She is single-handedly keeping the Sanctuary of the Golden Oak in business.

These are just my thoughts, what are yours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the Cragheart even though it didn't sound very cool to me at first (my first choice was Spellweaver).

I absolutely love the Cragheart now. It's so rad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Brimfield
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a real fan of Cragheart. He is such a versatile beast of a character. He is my rock to get through the darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gardner
msg tools
mb
I have tried 4 of the starter classes solo (3 char parties), and just love the Mind Thief. My favorite by far. It helps that I found an early random item design that REALLY synergizes well with this class.

I know Cragheart is popular, but he was my first ever retirement and I was ready to replace him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Snyder
United States
North Vernon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've retired two characters, and have played six different characters (two unlocked). My absolute favorite is the spellweaver, but a very close second is my current character the triangle (triforce) character. So much fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the starting classes, my fun rating would be:

Craghart > Mindthief > Brute > Scoundrel > Spellweaver > Tinkerer.

My favourite of them all is either the Lightning Bolt or the Angry Guy. My wife absolutely loves the Moon class which I haven't played myself yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first was the Cragheart and man was he really fun, loved moving obstacles and manipulating the board.

Brute was also a favorite of mine.

Having watched my wife use the Scoundrel and Mindthief I think those two classes could be fun, she does some amazing stuff with them.

But my current favorite is the Sun class....just...love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the brute a lot (it was my first class), but right now I love the scoundrel. They seem to have very few weaknesses and can run around and really dish out the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Schofield
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I took the Cragheart even though it didn't sound very cool to me at first (my first choice was Spellweaver).

I absolutely love the Cragheart now. It's so rad.

Lol I did exactly that as well.. My buddy who plays the SW is having lots of fun with her.. but I'm really enjoying more playing the CH that I probably would have with the SW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rossi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My favorite class so far is the Triple Arrow class. It has multiple viable playstyles due to the way the class is designed. In my current campaign I've played it twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the Brute in our campaign, and really liked him at first, but now I'm ready for him to retire and start a new character.

I almost took the Scoundrel or Mindthief, but with a Tinkerer and a Spellweaver in our party, I thought we would need someone to tank. Our 4th is a Cragheart, but the Brute is just better at keeping damage away from the Tink&Spell. None of us have hit our first retirement yet, but I think 1 or 2 of us are pretty close.

I can see why Isaac said the Brute wasn't as well received, possibly because it seems to be the easiest and most straight-forward class to play. Probably is the best class for someone new to Gloomhaven, especially someone new to this genre of games. But for a lot of us strategists and long time board gamers, I think we tend to crave something a little deeper on the strategy side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohde8781 wrote:

I can see why Isaac said the Brute wasn't as well received, possibly because it seems to be the easiest and most straight-forward class to play. Probably is the best class for someone new to Gloomhaven, especially someone new to this genre of games.

"I hit it with my axe"
- Brute Strategy.

I've only played the Cragheart, but I love him. He racks up more kills and damage than our Brute, and his ability to heal himself and others is just perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m playing a 2-character solo with the Cragheart and the Tinkerer. Both are such toolboxes (a good thing) that I’m loving the combination — but I love having a lot of options at any given time. The Cragheart probably edges out the Tinkerer just a little in my estimation, but I could see either one being an MVP in different situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the Spellweaver that was my first character. However, I've been amazed at the variety that's come from all of the classes we've unlocked. Trying to figure out how many playthroughs it'll take for me to play all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I’ve only played 9 classes so far, but Sun is my favorite, followed by the Scoundrel. I’m addicted to Poisoning in this game and the Scoundrel gets good at it, but the Sun Class has really grown into my favorite for reasons I won’t spoil.

Wonderful thing about the game is that I really like each class a lot, but need to give Concentric Circles class another shot - was tough for me to manage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Starter classes, definitely the Cragheart, followed by the Mind Thief.

Unlocked classes, Chthulu Face. Just so, so great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j ribs
msg tools
mb
2 mini-class is my #1
Concentric circles is my #2

Both very fun and powerful classes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
ribsies wrote:
2 mini-class is my #1
Concentric circles is my #2

Both very fun and powerful classes

I'm glad to hear that about concentric circles. I only played her for a while before she retired, but I wondered how she would do long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baker
msg tools
So far I’ve only played Cragheart (16 scenarios, all successful) and angry-face (3, one failed).

The Cragheart is so much fun; area damage, sneaky ways to bypass shield, and screwing with non-flying monsters by building a maze for them? What’s not to like?

Angry-face I don’t feel like I’ve really gotten the hang of yet, but a couple things started to click after the last scenario and I suspect that once I get a better feel for his rhythm, this guy’s going to be highly entertaining.

Of those I’ve seen in action but not played, I think Mindthief and triforce look the most interesting, though there aren’t any I’ve seen that I don’t think would be at least somewhat fun (even the ones that aren’t really my normal style).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mb
DukePhoenix wrote:
Sun is my favorite ... for reasons I won’t spoil.

Wow! I haven't played it, but my girlfriend hated that class. Can you explain what are the best aspects and why you loved it so much? (maybe spoler-tag it?) I am very curious to know what we did wrong.

To contribute to this topic, among the starting characters, my favorite is the cragheart.

I played the music note in a 2p party and at the beginning I was very doubtful, but it grew on my, especially because of
Spoiler (click to reveal)

THE PERKS! Oh god, aren't those perks good? The best I have seen so far by a whole lot. By the time I retired her, the worst modifiers in my deck where the Miss and the 2x, because you are better off adding +4 than doubling that Attack 1!

Also, I purchased a lot of summoning items to use my modifier deck to its full potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my current ranking would be

Cthulhu Face > Music Note > Brute > Triforce > Mindthief > Spellweaver > Moon > Tinkerer > Scoundrel > Cragheart.

My first two characters were Brute and Cragheart, and it was a very passionate love/hate relationship. As sad as I was to retire my Brute, that's how happy I was when ol' Craggy retired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mindthief is my personal number one because of how ridiculously powerful she can be.
After that is angry face, probably because he...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
...feels like a ranged version of Mindthief, but more balanced.

My third place is a tie between Brute and five circles. Brute because once he hits six, he's just a ton of facestomping fun. Whatever he does, even when losing a scenario, is still impressive.

Five circles because she's... really challenging to master, and you can make all the "greed plays" you want with her without the others getting mad at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagi Springfield
msg tools
Spellweaver plain and simple

"Ok you three go that way and deal with that room, I'll go deal with this one."

"But that's a big room..."

*Large explosion of fire and ice*

"Sorry what was that? I just hit lvl 7!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Allen
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cragheart rocks! laugh

Seriously, I didn't think I'd like him, but now I love him. He makes boulders, throws them at monsters, and even does splash damage. He can leap over everyone and immobilize them. He heals, he fights, he does everything. High HP and high hand limit. He's tons of fun, give him a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DZM2 wrote:
Cragheart rocks!

I see what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.