Popular Tags: [View All]
Nuno Gonzalez
Portugal
Estoril
PORTUGAL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game arrive today.

One thing that surprise me is that the Japanese faction had No cavalry (?!)

Im curious to know What is the reason behind the decision to put the Tokugawa faction 100% on foot?

Historicity or game balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, that's sure surprising, and seems odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought it was for historical reasons; the factions are deliberately unbalanced, so the lack of cavalry definitely isn't for balance reasons. If the Tokugawa didn't often use cavalry, though, it'd be a bit silly to include cavalry for them.

If anything, I think this is evidence of the thought that went into Distant Lands and the uniqueness of each faction (and the playstyle each requires).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it’s very cool that they lack cavalry. It makes them more different than the others since they also have good strenght on their units.

Don’t forget their ”Banzai-card” where you can move two units two spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several of the Japanese unit cards have Pursuit values on them. When Japan is your opponent you have to think a bit different because any unit you face could have pursuit. Unlike the other nationalities that have cavalry units, which you can anticipate their use of pursuit, with the Japanese that threat is always there for every unit.

The "hidden" threat of pursuit rolls from anywhere, the Banzai Charge and Death with Honor makes facing the Japanese a "new and different" experience to say the least.

Welcome to Distant Lands, hope you enjoy the game as much as I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Japanese army is a 'cellular' force. So each unit has a line unit, an elite unit, a cavalry unit and a teppo 'volley' unit. So every unit has cavalry but it is dispersed among each house's cell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Gonzalez
Portugal
Estoril
PORTUGAL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

That was the clarification needed !

Thanks Jeff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.