Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Going into my first plays of the Voracious Goddess, I imagined the 7th continent as some kind of monstrous landmass, 20+ tiles by 20+ tiles in size.

Now that I've played through Voracious Goddess twice (winning on my second play), and started the KS swamp adventure, I'm having my doubts.

Not to go into too many specifics, but in some incorrect wanderings in Voracious Goddess I found what seemed to be the furthest north and east point of the island. I imagined there must be a ton of content to the west and south that I hadn't seen.

But now, right off the bat in the swamp adventure I'm starting on what feels like a western boundary of the island (barring maybe a bit more content beyond an obstacle), and I quickly connected to locations I had already seen multiple times in Voracious Goddess.

If I had to guess at this point, I'd say the island is maybe 15 tiles by 15 tiles or thereabouts, a good deal smaller than my first impressions.

To be fair, there are caves and things that expand this, but am I way off base? Is the island (the real island, not the little starter location in VG) actually somewhat smaller than people might assume?

I'm loving the game, by the way, despite this. I just feel like I'll learn where everything is in the island much faster than I suspected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just you Michael, the Continent is more of a small island with weird geography.
That was one disappointment for me indeed. Makes subsequent playthroughs that much less interesting.
That said it still takes quite a while, going from point A to point B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
It's not just you Michael, the Continent is more of a small island with weird geography.
That was one disappointment for me indeed. Makes subsequent playthroughs that much less interesting.
That said it still takes quite a while, going from point A to point B.

Sorry to hear that

I guess it's to be expected, somewhat. The card numbers, without expansions, only go up into the 600s. If the continent was 20 by 20, that'd be 400 card numbers taken right there, leaving little design space for the actual encounters, events, and all.

I'm still thoroughly enjoying my second curse. I'm seeing some of the same places, but in a completely new light, so that's exciting at least. Can't say the same excitement will still exist on curse 6 or 7, but considering that beating VG took me about 12 hours total, I'll have gotten a good amount of enjoyment until then.

And then I can sell it to someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Not to go into too many specifics, but in some incorrect wanderings in Voracious Goddess I found what seemed to be the furthest north and east point of the island.

If you want to confirm that for certain, there's a map of the whole continent in the Files area: 7th continent map numbers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupklass Jupklass2
Spain
Pamplona
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also this "gps guide" https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/159152/gps-guide-huge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Not to go into too many specifics, but in some incorrect wanderings in Voracious Goddess I found what seemed to be the furthest north and east point of the island.

If you want to confirm that for certain, there's a map of the whole continent in the Files area: 7th continent map numbers

I gave it a quick look, to avoid spoilers... and yeah, it’s about what I suspected.

I’m really confused how people are playing the first curse for 50-100 hours. There isn’t that much to see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You quite spoilt it to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:

I gave it a quick look, to avoid spoilers... and yeah, it’s about what I suspected.

I’m really confused how people are playing the first curse for 50-100 hours. There isn’t that much to see!

As one of those with a long time to finish VG, it was a combination of exploring farther and wider than necessary and dying 3 times before finally succeeding. The final run through probably only took 15-20 hrs, but I had to learn a few things the hard way, circle back to find things I missed the first time through, etc. If you follow the path correctly and get everything on the first time through, it needn't take took long, but if you get to the end and realize you are missing something, it can take a while to go find it... and if you die when you are 90% finished, you've got another 10+ hrs just to get back to that same point.

All of that said, I love this game even with some painful restarts. The one thing I would change is how grindy hunting can be sometimes. If you have a few bad results hunting, it can cost you hours trying to regroup and get your deck back under control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if someone is kind enough to create a web-app that displays the continent based on what areas you explored...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:

Well I've played about 50 hours on 8 different playthroughs and still haven't finished the Goddess. I sort of cheated my way to the end due to a lack of subtlety on the part of the designer, but I actually haven't completed it. I struggle with hunts (to the point where I gave up on my last playthrough. I wasn't dead, but I loathed it so much I just stopped.) so
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I can never afford staying in the temple too long, and still haven't located the second gem

So that would explain.

That said, even though the island is small, I still haven't seen everything it has to offer. So it's more of a matter of smooth navigating through it and managing to check in on this and that and noticing this too. But the sense of discovery is gone for the most part and the flaws are what put me off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jozan
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is somewhat disappointing. Still, I remember reading somewhere that the full discovered map would need a table tennis to fit in. This still didn't seem too much for me but it's definitely more than a 20x20 map.

I wonder, if the map is "so small" the cartographer's notebook doesn't need more than 5,6 pages (?)

Luckily for us the expansion comes with 2 more tiers or terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's big enough for me. I've had lots of adventuring on that big rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
It's big enough for me. I've had lots of adventuring on that big rock.

I wish it was bigger though.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I cannot stand the pine-tree forest and the jungle and I spend 90% of my time there going in circles trying to stock food.
I cannot start a game again because I know I'll do nothing else than waste 10 hours in the jungle hunting and hunting and hunting again.
Sigh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.