Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oran Barraclough
Australia
Windang
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have 2 girls aged 5 & 8. I got Mice & Mystics for them (and me) and they enjoyed the premis, but would get bored around the 45min mark. Tried really hard to keep them interested (we even painted the minis) but to no avail, so M&M is now gathering dust. I want to know if SF will also fall flat due to 60-90 min campaigns (as the page suggests) or can it be played in shorter missions that will better suit my kid’s attention spans.

I saw this question raised a while ago but couldn’t see a difinitive answer.

Maybe now some people have played it they could advise?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
We play through a page or two a night, it takes about 30-60 minutes, then leave it set-up on the card table. It, has very natural stopping points as you turn the page. It is a lot longer to play through a story then advertised in my opinion. Our first game took us about three hours. we are also playing with a 4 and 9 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:
We play through a page or two a night, it takes about 30-60 minutes, then leave it set-up on the card table. It, has very natural stopping points as you turn the page. It is a lot longer to play through a story then advertised in my opinion. Our first game took us about three hours. we are also playing with a 4 and 9 year old.

...Was your 4 year old able to enjoy it so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael Prewett
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm playing with nothing but 3 and 4 year olds. They love it and ask we play 'the game' all day. They're even incorporating it into their play with friends on the playground, and into their art.

We simplify things a little - I didn't tell them the individual abilities on each character. Instead, they can spend hearts to trade their dice or re-roll their dice. I'm also not using the 'condition cards.' (Courageous, Soggy, etc). We can only get through a page or two at a time before we need to move onto the next part of our day. We save our dice, stuffing, hearts and buttons in labeled plastic bags, with envelopes for equipment cards, pack everything up, and set up when we're ready to play the next day. I think 45 mins or and hour is the longest we've been able to play - not because of the attention of the kids. It's because the nappers start waking up and we have to set up snack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall
United States
Midwest City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
BOOMER!
badge
SOONER!
mbmbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:

Exactly this. Played with my 5 year old boy for about 45 min last night and it is still set up waiting for the page to be turned when we play again tonight. He was getting a little antsy toward the end but seemed very eager to see what is on the next page when we begin our play tonight.

I will say, it would have been nice for them to have included a way to save progress if you didn't want to leave it set up on the table. Maybe somebody in the community will make something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
Antares Rangers wrote:
thatach wrote:

...Was your 4 year old able to enjoy it so far?

Yes, he loves the story, we have to help him make some decisions but he get to roll dice and move his guy. We also tell him what number he needs to roll so he understands the roll results.

The main thing is if you were to ask either of my kids about it they would talk your ears off. My nine year old wrote about it in school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 60 - 90 minutes is time it takes to play the full story beginning to end. I've only played the first story, which took close to 2 hours, and it contains I believe 5 different maps. But you don't have to play the full story in 1 sitting.

If all you do is play 1 map/battle at a time, it would maybe only take 30 minutes at a time. you can then just bag up each players characters/items separately and then it will be ready to reset quickly for the next play session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marshalls_acct wrote:
thatach wrote:

Exactly this. Played with my 5 year old boy for about 45 min last night and it is still set up waiting for the page to be turned when we play again tonight. He was getting a little antsy toward the end but seemed very eager to see what is on the next page when we begin our play tonight.

I will say, it would have been nice for them to have included a way to save progress if you didn't want to leave it set up on the table. Maybe somebody in the community will make something.
Hindsight is 20/20. I honestly never thought to include something like this since A- It’s something that is so easy to do yourself with a few sandwich bags, and B- I didn’t really have any indication that this would be a desired addition that would get enough use to warrant the additional components and any resulting increase in price. There is a fan made save setup in the files section. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oran Barraclough
Australia
Windang
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone (and Jerry) for the quick replies! I think i’ll Have to get it now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.