13 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » Strategy

Subject: My favourite combo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So far I have probably played this excellent game about 20 times with 2, 3 and 4 players.

The past six games I have played with the same force and have won everytime. My strategy is to weaken the opposition to the point that they cannot secure omphalos to win.

God: Athena (her three art of war cards plus her ability to look for cards cannot be beaten)

Monster: Hydra - THIS BEAST IS AWESOME - for one art of war card you can deliver area attacks all around the creature. In its first move (post deployment) force march it to the area of greatest concentration of Omphalos (use Athena's ability to search for its cards when you need to attack)- do not underestimate its regen properties as it will recover 4 point per round (every activation)

Get Athena into the area with the Hydra

Hero: Echo - perhaps the best value two pointer in the game - stick her in the same zone as the hydra. It soon cuts down on the number of inbound attacks. Her howling is a great way to get rid of enemy units almost dead and weaken gods

Troops: Select Infernal Warriors and Spartans - make sure these guys are there to protect Echo (always protect Echo)

By getting this lot into the same area (4/5 zone) you have a powerbase from which to operate....

I say all this because my opposition are now working on strategies to overcome this force

PS: The points above come to 14 - if you can have more select the Griffin - it is deadly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, have your friends started range striking you to death, then? Wouldn't Apollo, Heracles or Zeus be a bit of a problem for your powerbase? Or a charging Minotaur even, to keep it cheap and simple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hydra only recovers 1 vitality point per activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmb
The easiest way to "beat" it would be to draft parts it for yourself

(Also agree that Zeus and other area attacks should work really well against this)

Nussknackerz wrote:

I think the poster meant 4 vitality total on its four activation cards (but I would not call a way through your deck a "round", and this would not be true for the first "round" since it wouldn't be damaged while deploying of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wenzel
Austria
Graz
Österreich
flag msg tools
pan and cerberus would work for sure as a counter. you do not need to expose yourself with pan, but you have a huge area attack, if your units are that concentrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgoga wrote:

Nussknackerz wrote:

I think the poster meant 4 vitality total on its four activation cards (but I would not call a way through your deck a "round", and this would not be true for the first "round" since it wouldn't be damaged while deploying of course).

I'm guessing/afraid the OP thinks that it activates on every player's turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
No you are right this set up is susceptible to area attacks....

The Hydra only recovers when it activates (ie four cards per deck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Ranged area attacks seem to be the clear weakness.

Toxotai would be a nice cheap troop that would work well against it, Minotaur or any other charger that deals an area attack and has mighty throw would be an easy way to scatter them all to different areas.
Medusa would work well too.
Penthesilea would be great to go with the Toxotai too since she boosts the attack of troops by 2 due to bolster and her charisma ability. She also boosts their movement and defense by 1 if they activate in her area or around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or Polyphemus. with his "auto-Mighty-Throw" and just kick them all out from 3 spaces away (by throwing a tree or a ruin). No guard will help, as you can easily throw/weaken them first. It doesn't seem to be a particularly strong combo if you ask me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recruit Eurytion, charge him up adjacent to the group and let him sit there taunting. It prevents any enemy units from using their powers or talents and forces them to make an attack on Eurytion.

Of course, if that unit has range 0 only attack they cannot unless they move into range 0 with him, separating his forces.

While the group are dealing with Eurytion, employ Eurytos and another ranged troop or Atalanta (ideally on a rock) to rain death from above.

Marsyas for 1RP would also be useful at pulling Athena away from the group with his Challenge power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hephaistos as well. He can slam and lock that area down, not only doing a nice area attack but also using Flame of the Forge to lock it down so no one in there can be activated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great counter for something like this is the Colchidian Dragon. Enemy units in its area cannot use talents or powers meaning the opposing Divinity cannot take advantage of any potential guard/initiative.

I did this very tactic over the weekend. The dragon invaded Helios' area who was intended to be guarded by the Spartans (plus Leonidas to buff them) but none of that mattered. 8 dice attack on an already weakened Helios finished him off. Job done and I've found a new favourite unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Piantoni
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Eric the Shed wrote:
So far I have probably played this excellent game about 20 times with 2, 3 and 4 players.

The past six games I have played with the same force and have won everytime. My strategy is to weaken the opposition to the point that they cannot secure omphalos to win.

God: Athena (her three art of war cards plus her ability to look for cards cannot be beaten)

Monster: Hydra - THIS BEAST IS AWESOME - for one art of war card you can deliver area attacks all around the creature. In its first move (post deployment) force march it to the area of greatest concentration of Omphalos (use Athena's ability to search for its cards when you need to attack)- do not underestimate its regen properties as it will recover 4 point per round (every activation)

Get Athena into the area with the Hydra

Hero: Echo - perhaps the best value two pointer in the game - stick her in the same zone as the hydra. It soon cuts down on the number of inbound attacks. Her howling is a great way to get rid of enemy units almost dead and weaken gods

Troops: Select Infernal Warriors and Spartans - make sure these guys are there to protect Echo (always protect Echo)

By getting this lot into the same area (4/5 zone) you have a powerbase from which to operate....

I say all this because my opposition are now working on strategies to overcome this force

PS: The points above come to 14 - if you can have more select the Griffin - it is deadly

I played last night Artemis, Eurotyus, Hercules, Dragon of Thebes, infernal warriors vs. Persephone, Achilles, Minotaur, Tityos, and Centaurs.

I put Artemis on a rock near the deployment zone, she could hit Persephone in her deployment zone. I did a one shot on his guard he never recalled, and I got her on my last turn when Persephone had the 4th omphalos claimed and next turn was gonna activate. You fill up a zone outside of Tartarus, my herc is throwing stuff at you and she is raining arrows on your god.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.