Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings gamers.
I'm considering getting the play mat, it is one of the few things I didn't get during the pledge manager.
That said, I know I like game mats for the tactile effect, and making picking up cards easier. But, is the mat an improvement for actual game play?
Do you like having the expansion boards included on the mat?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let you know in a few days. Mine is in the mail!

I don't know if it will actually make much a difference, but I like this game so much I had to have it (I just discovered this game about a month ago). The extra expansion boards make the whole thing a little messy, I think the mat will really give the whole thing a nice, clean look.

At least, that was my rational for buying it. I don't normally buy add-ons for games that aren't an actual expansion and $30 is a little much, but I think it will get enough use to justify the purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 10
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell us how you really feel, Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blumhardt
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
YES!!!

Indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WarpedLord wrote:
andrewkapish wrote:
YES!!!

Indeed.

Logical argument about game play value.
I really only need a nudge to go ahead and get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you have the expansions then as other have said then YES I think it's a must. If you don't ever plan to get any expansions then maybe, but you would have to ignore the whole top part of the mat. Either way, I would never go back to the board, the mat is fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did get both expansions with the KS, so, I can see some advantage to having all the boards collected - if you'd say it helps in game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TimMW
United States
morrisville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mat is so much better than the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the mat.

It's one of a few I have now that has me considering (well, not really, because it would be a very expensive endeavor) of scanning in more of my game boards and having them printed on custom mats.

Just keep in mind that you'll need a big table... The sucker is long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the mat is really cool.

Gameplay-wise, em, not sure. it does organize the board much better, and the art flows from what would have been 1 board to the next.

I do wish the mat would fit in the box, but was told to never fold them, so it is rolled up. Definitely makes travelling with the game easier.

it is big, but no bigger than the expansions require (probably less so), i really really like it.

I really wish more games had mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I really like play-mats for games that involve a lot of cards sat on them (think most of the Legendary games). However, I did not go for the mat for a couple of reasons.

1. This 'board' still has lots of space on it visible. Boards simply have a nicer fidelity print than any mat.

2. The mat needs an exact surface size and shape. With the normal boards, you can re-arrange the placement of the expansion boards based of table shape, also, these boards could even overhang if you have a smaller table. The mat is committed to one shape and needs firm support.

3. I have the Jarl box. So all of the expansion content and base game fit beautifully in that single box. The play-mat would not fit, even if I took out the boards, due to it's shape and size. Even if I removed that great insert, I would then have to fold the mat, not roll it to fit and that's NOT a good idea for most play-mats.

These are all minor issues. But since the play-mat is so much extra, there was no justification for me getting it. I'm the same with
Firefly: The Game – The Whole Damn 'Verse game mat. I've fit the whole game + expansions into the core (European, so a little bigger) box. This mat simply doesn't add enough for the inconvenience. But of course, if my quibbles don't matter to you, you definitely should get the mat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Melzer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I wholeheartedly recommend the playmat. It looks great, feels great, ties everything together so you don't have lots of small boards shifting during play, but as it's $35 (including shipping) you should only get it if you really like the game and play it often.

One thing I haven't seen others comment on (sorry if I missed it) is that it updated the iconography and other changes that were added with the expansions. The new "any warrior die" icon replaces the old "red/black/white" one, and new market spaces for five players. When playing with the boards, you have to remember "this was changed" for a few things, so it's nice that the playmat has all this updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michail tridimas
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the mat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mat is sweet, especially if you usually play with the expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nostradunwhich wrote:
The mat is sweet, especially if you usually play with the expansions

i wonder if ill ever play without them again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play the game with some regularity, yes. If it's an occasional game you break out when the mood hits you, spend the $30 on another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben de Kemp
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raszthir wrote:

One thing I haven't seen others comment on (sorry if I missed it) is that it updated the iconography and other changes that were added with the expansions. The new "any warrior die" icon replaces the old "red/black/white" one, and new market spaces for five players. When playing with the boards, you have to remember "this was changed" for a few things, so it's nice that the playmat has all this updated.

Also, if you had an earlier version of the CoM base game, you may have had your "near" and "far" Monster journey locations flipped (i.e. the journeys that require 1 food per warrior vs 1 food per two warriors). They corrected this for thematic purposes on the playmat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking about getting the game mat for a few reasons

1. It looks great and I do love playmats after recently picking up Cube Quest in a math trade.

2. I found the standard board a bit sub par with a little bit of paper creasing and its doesnt lie that well. that said it may settle better after a few more plays.

3. Its the worst board ever for picking up cards especially the journey cards.

I appeciatte Trevors number 1. quibble and and would be interested to know how sharp the image is on the game mat compared to the regular board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The graphics are not quite as sharp on the mat, that is definitely true, but you really don't notice it when you are playing.

I will also say this about the mat, the first time I played with it I spilled a beer on it (during the final combat of a game I was winning, BTW). A few of the cards were ruined, but the mat is still in perfect shape. Something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Łukaszewicz
Poland
Wrocław
dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Is it possibile to read small fonts on your's playmat? Like those in turn summary at the top?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive got player mats for champions of midgard and rising sun. They are absolutely worth getting if you love the particular game your getting a mat for. I never play without them and i keep them in something like this www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071ZBFG33/ref=oh_aui_detailpage...
The champions of midgard one is particularly useful as it saves on having to use 3 separate boards. Also feels really good to play on them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Toudi wrote:
Hi,

Is it possibile to read small fonts on your's playmat? Like those in turn summary at the top?

Just got mine in the mail Saturday. Yes, readable. Probably not from across the table but someone sitting next to it can read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still up in the air about getting this mainly because I don't intend getting the expansions (well not yet anyway) and that's purely because I like the game as is and don't want to increase set up time, make it too Euroey or mitigate the luck factor which I actually like!

I do get the expansions are awesome for those looking for the opposite of what I just said.

But I really do want the playmat but whats putting me off is that there will be those expansion spots doing nothing, which might start to annoy me.

Anyone think that would be the case?

At one point I even thought about getting the mat and trimming the top bit off but that just seems crazy!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Reissmann
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazmondo123 wrote:

At one point I even thought about getting the mat and trimming the top bit off but that just seems crazy!!

If you did that you'd be cutting off a large portion of the score track as well. I've played just the base game on the mat. We just used the extra space to store the extra dice and resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.