Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two minis class ability card "one adjacent ally" question (SPOILER) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how the bottom half of the "Maul" ability card (Card 484) works. Let me explain my question by starting off with the ruling on the comparable card "Flamethrower" of the Tinkerer:

Flamethrower - bottom half wrote:
Shield 1, affect self and all adjacent allies

FAQ wrote:
Enhancement Field (Card 040):
The bottom effect applies to allies only while they are adjacent to you (like an aura), not allies adjacent to you at the time this action was performed.

So, a character doesn't have to be next to the Tinkerer when this action is played to benefit from the adjacency bonus later in that round. It is like an aura around the Tinkerer that "moves" along with the Tinkerer.

Now how does that work with Maul, since it specifically affects one adjacent ally?

Maul - bottom half wrote:
Move 3, Shield 1, Affect one adjacent ally

Say I play the card, do I decide what ally gets the +1 shield right then and there or is undecided? What if this ally moves during the round? Do they lose the +1 shield? If so, can the effect hop over to another adjacent ally?

What happens to the effect if I move in the same round after I have used the bottom half of Maul?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bernaar wrote:
I wonder how the bottom half of the "Maul" ability card (Card 484) works. Let me explain my question by starting off with the ruling on the comparable card "Flamethrower" of the Tinkerer:

Flamethrower - bottom half wrote:
Shield 1, affect self and all adjacent allies

FAQ wrote:
Enhancement Field (Card 040):
The bottom effect applies to allies only while they are adjacent to you (like an aura), not allies adjacent to you at the time this action was performed.

So, a character doesn't have to be next to the Tinkerer when this action is played to benefit from the adjacency bonus later in that round. It is like an aura around the Tinkerer that "moves" along with the Tinkerer.

Now how does that work with Maul, since it specifically affects one adjacent ally?

Maul - bottom half wrote:
Move 3, Shield 1, Affect one adjacent ally

Say I play the card, do I decide what ally gets the +1 shield right then and there or is undecided? What if this ally moves during the round? Do they lose the +1 shield? If so, can the effect hop over to another adjacent ally?

What happens to the effect if I move in the same round after I have used the bottom half of Maul?

You use any or all of the move first, then get to choose which adjacent ally gets the Shield 1. Just like the Tinkerer, if the ally moves away, or if the Tyrant moves away, the effect is lost. Unlike the Tinkerer, you cannot then choose a new ally to gain Shield 1.

The intent of the card is to help the Tyrant keep up with the Bear, while providing the bear with a shield. Since the Tyrant does not have top move actions and the bear goes before him every round, it's incredibly unlikely the Bear or Tyrant will be moving again after the bottom half of Maul is used. This obviously can happen by enemy Push or Pull, but one of the only ways YOU can make it happen is to pair Maul with the top half of Spirit Swap, which I can only see doing if the Tyrant and Bear are way out of the action, in which case something went wrong with how the Bear was played: it should be keeping up or just use the move 5 instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry to revive the thread, but is there any official source for this answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alecm88 wrote:
Sorry to revive the thread, but is there any official source for this answer?

No, there is no official source as far as I know. Would be nice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Springer
Germany
flag msg tools
Oh... If that's the case I played it wrong all time (although I didn't use the bottom of Maul very often).

I thought that when you use the bottom of Maul (or similiar cards) the ally gets a shield 1 during this round, regardless what he is doing afterwards. The text "Affect one adjecent ally" just means to me that the shield 1 cannot affect allies that are further away so it is not a completely free choice who gets the shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've interpreted as Ken has but I will ping Isaac for confirmation.

Edit: Mostly interpreted like Ken, I've assumed the shield stays with the ally even if they move away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
With some cards for another class, it says to put it in your ally's active area, and treat it as if they own the card (for permanent buffs), or to put it in your discard at the end of the round (for one round buffs).
Spoiler for which class:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Saw

Edit: and this wording prevents these buffs from being given to a summoned ally.

This card does not say that. It stays in the active area of the BT. By doing this, it allows the bonus to affect a summoned ally that does not have an active area (which is very important for the BT). But it also leads me to believe that because the card is in the active area of the BT, that the recipient must stay next to the BT to keep the bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heard back from Isaac.

Maul is NOT an aura. The target of the shield must be chosen at the end of the Move. The shield remains with that ally for the remainder of the round even if they move away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.