Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coal Baron the Great Card. Got a great story for how this one made it to the shelf. Hope you enjoy. First let me say, train theme is total mediocrity for me. But trains moving coal aka lowry is a different story. Nah, I’m kind of joking but I do like the theme better than just trains. Anyways, here’s how Coal Baron tGC came to be…

I went to my first convention March 2017. It was a small one, which is actually what I want. All I want is a couple hundred gamers, a few hundred games, and a few vendors so I can buy a souvenir or two. Now I’m doing Dice Tower Con this Summer which is about as big as I want to get but I am super excited. Back to my story. Coast Con is the name of the convention. So they had a thing where you play games to enter a drawing. Now I got a little sidetracked because I’m one of those psychos that reviews the library before the con and makes a list of all the games I want to play. Well, that didn’t happen because then my being cheap and trying to win some free stuff self kicked in so I spent more of the convention than I wanted to playing some games I could have done without. I did much better this last convention though. My last convention I did a nice mix of learning a couple of games I wanted to and a good group of games I already knew how to play. I said forget all the free stuff, just game. But back to Coast Con. So my wife and I both were able to put our name in for each game we played. I ended up winning Coal Baron tGC and Fuji Flush and she won Imhotep. And then some people gave me Deadwood Studios USA, Neuroshima Convoy, and Grifters. I already had Neuroshima Convoy. I didn’t even try Deadwood or Grifters. I just flipped the latter three games in later trades. That being said Imhotep and Coal Baron tGC are good games that I’m so happy I won.

Now when I played a half a game of Coal Baron at the con with someone showing me, they didn’t know the rules hardly at all. And I did not like Coal Baron to start with. When I won it, I was like we will try this one again but we are probably going to flip it. The guy that showed us the game did tell me later that day that he played it again with the right rules and he liked it a lot more. Had he not, I might have not even gave it a second chance. But I am so glad I did. This game is very solid.
First off, at two players you can finish a game in 45 minutes, and this one has some really quick turns and great decisions. A couple of unique items about the game that I really like. The first one is that it has kind of that complete an order aspect that Viticulture does, but it is even more defined. Once you get what you need to complete an order, you ship it and then you take all those cards, stack them up in a nice pile and forget all about them for the rest of the game, except for when thinking about endgame objective cards. I like that sense of completion about Viticulture and this one. Not that I want it all the time. But it’s nice to have that compartmentalized aspect of completing a job, now let me work on the next one.

The next piece that is awesome is your cards are basically workers and these workers have values between 1-5 (1-3 in a two player game). To go to an action space you have to play a number exactly one number higher to the number there. So if you or your opponent(s) had played a 1 there previously you would either have to play a 2 or two 1s to go to the same place. This mechanic is beautiful. You could have a 3 left at the end of a round but if no place had a value of 2 there then it could not be used.

For me this one is a hidden gem. On a side note the coal is called lowery and I constantly say “Mike Lowry” Like Martin did on Bad Boys the movie as I’m getting more Lowry for my carts. It’s the simple things in life that add to your enjoyment for games sometimes. I like the theme, and the mechanics are all but flawless for a very smooth and exciting game in 45 minutes. Best free game I’ve ever gotten, even though I’ve only got a few. This one is not endangered of leaving my shelf and could stay for good if only for the reason that it reminds me of my first convention and the free loot I got.

Definitely recommend this one to Eurogamers who are looking for more 45 minute solid games. So tell me what you think of Coal Baron. I haven’t heard a whole lot of buzz about this one. Does anyone else out there appreciate this one like I do?

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rubin
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your recommendation definitely encouraged me to get this one. My wife and I are euro gamers and often play just two player games and sometimes we are in need of a shorter but intense game. This one hits the mark thank you so much for the recommendation!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrubin1 wrote:
Your recommendation definitely encouraged me to get this one. My wife and I are euro gamers and often play just two player games and sometimes we are in need of a shorter but intense game. This one hits the mark thank you so much for the recommendation!!!

Really glad you enjoyed it Justin! Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.