Subject: Needing Metal Coins for Rising Sun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ernesto
United States
phoenix
arizona
flag msg tools
I just thought I'd post this as I did not want the coins for this game, and seen post ridiculous prices for them, but I used my Tokaido Coins in lieu of them. It worked perfectly fine, the only exception is I have yet to play six players as it is 14 coins short. No one noticed until I stated that they come from a different game. I already owned the Tokaido special edition but amazon is currently selling the coins for $15.43.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's loads of Chinese coins on amazon ebay etc and they look identical to the rising Sun ones , I bought two packs from one seller and they perfect cost me about GBP 6.00 I think for both lots, and way more than I'd have got from cmon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acehawkster1973 wrote:
There's loads of Chinese coins on amazon ebay etc and they look identical to the rising Sun ones , I bought two packs from one seller and they perfect cost me about GBP 6.00 I think for both lots, and way more than I'd have got from cmon.

Be careful of those amazon or ebay Chinese coins, I purchased a bunch of them and when I got them, they are just as advertised except they never showed the thickness, they are almost paper thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should mention that because I was going to use the metal Tokaido coins, as well! In my opinion they're way better looking than the ones from CMON.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, you can find thin metal "feng shui" or "good luck" coins, mass-produced in China, that look similar, with the square hole and Chinese lettering, for 10¢-20¢ each from assorted auction sites. Or, you can get sturdy 5-yen actual Japanese coins for under 5¢ each, though they're hard to locate outside Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warwolf42 wrote:
acehawkster1973 wrote:

Be careful of those amazon or ebay Chinese coins, I purchased a bunch of them and when I got them, they are just as advertised except they never showed the thickness, they are almost paper thin.

Lol regardless they are still cheaper than CMON ones and they are metal so unless you use pliers or go out of your way to break em they are still better than the supplied plastic ones imo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice deal. I grabbed a set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Coins also has Japanese coins that are top quality. Broken Token sells their coins too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally I think the Chinese feng shui coins are way too thin. It takes 2.5 of them to make the same thickness as the plastic coins in Risinf Sun and they weigh (by feel) just as little as the plastic ones as well.

At least the plastic coins have a thickness and rounded edge that makes them easier to pick up. That’s a bit more difficult with the thin feng shui coins.

The 5 yen coins seems to be the best alternative right now but I’ve been unable to find anyone within EU selling at least 65 of them. A non-EU seller sells them in rolls of 50 for about $20, but that’s enough to trigger our customs which means we have to pay 25% VAT (fair enough) but ALSO a $25 processing fee. That brings 100 x 5 yen coins to about $65 for me, at least. Not worth it.

I had hoped the feng shui coins would be sufficient so I ordered them for rising sun a while ago. But I think I will just use the plastic coins unless a better metal alternative comes along.

Edit: Maybe this could work:
https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=STM635
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
So Feng Shui coins seem to be a gamble, right?

If anyone has an idea where to get Tokaido coins or anything useful in EU, please let me know :-). I have not found anything yet.

I find the plastic coins fine - just a little light. But I liked my plays of rising sun so much that I would not mind upgrading with metal coins :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
I got feng shui coins from a friend that went to china.

Con:
-way too thin
-chinese writings instead japanese
-round hole instead of square
-dirty, watch out to not ruin your game

Scythe coins are way better

(i also bought regular metal coins i will post comparison pic when i get them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonDodo wrote:
-chinese writings instead japanese

Kanji is the same in China and Japan*, so this really isn't an issue.

Here are those high quality coins I was talking about. I used them for my copy of Iki and I was quite happy with them.

*I only asterisked this because I know some know it all will point out slight differences, and I didn't want to get into a stupid debate on onyomi and kunyomi readings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Ianovicz
msg tools
What about todays japanese 5 yen coin? With the exchange rate and quality, its hard to beat, also hard to find in Europe and US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Honziz wrote:
What about todays japanese 5 yen coin? With the exchange rate and quality, its hard to beat, also hard to find in Europe and US.

It's what I would like to get my hands on, but difficult to find. See my post a few posts up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Another option, the metal coins made for the deluxe version of Yokohama:

http://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=MetalYokoham...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.