France
Saint-Etienne
flag msg tools
Trying to find time to paint...
badge
...but translating all day long !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all !

Since there is no precision if adjacent mean only the orthogonal adjacent square or if the diagonal count as adjacent ?

I wonder because for movement character may use diagonal as if it is adjacent.
It's important because I don't know if diagonal count for measuring the short range or for effect like, for example the first chapter "an unhappy hour" the rule for the C token.

I really need to know because I'll translate the rules for french player.

Thank you all !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being in the US I'm still waiting on my physical copy, but I did a quick search on the last PDF of the rules posted. Under Combat Basics / Measuring Range is see this:
rule book wrote:
Melee Attacks have a range of 1 and, thus, may
only ever target an enemy in an adjacent square
(including diagonally).

Emphasis mine. That plus looking at the example graphic on pg 16 showing a minion making an attack diagonally, I'd say adjacent includes diagonal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree as well, though have follow up questions as a result of it.

1. The rulebook says about "Move 1 square":
"... Figures may never cross Impassable lines (red lines), Walls, go through Closed Doors, or go off the edge of the Stage."

Now I wonder what that means for situations where I move diagonally, while such lines are nearby (in the orthogonally adjacent squares) to my starting position. I'm moving basically through the spot where the different lines from the adjacent squares cross each other, but what if any of these are impassable lines combined with passable ones?

Imagine there are 2 x 2 squares and I'm in the bottom left one and want to move to the top right square (diagonally), though the bottom right square is part of a building (a Wall to me in that regards).
I would say yes, but it's not necessarily clear if I can move diagonally in that situation!?

Based on the "Combat Basics" section, if I consider the similarities here to the Movement rule, I think the answer is "Yes".

2. Also, and again I think yes, but I'm not 100% sure, can I open Doors or Windows diagonally adjacent to my position?

The rulebook just says "...while adjacent to the Door" and actually about the Window only "A figure must spend 2 Agility points to move through a Window.", so for the latter no word on adjacent at all.

3. And one more, the rulebook states regarding "Revive": "Gentleman may also spend 1 action to Revive a Neutralized Gentleman in an adjacent square that's not on the other side of an Impassable line."
It specifcally mentions Impassable lines which are earlier specifically pointed out as "red lines", so what about Walls, Doors, Windows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurent Chuz
France
flag msg tools
1. They say a line of sight is a line from the center of a square to the center of another square. I use that rule for moves too. If there's a wall on that line, too bad, the character has to find another way.

2. I wasn't too sure about this neither, but I decided to give it a "yes". Characters may open (and move through) doors diagonally, in my opinion.

3. No way, according to me. Except for windows, as they're not impassable. But a door is, until it is opened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuz wrote:
1. They say a line of sight is a line from the center of a square to the center of another square. I use that rule for moves too. If there's a wall on that line, too bad, the character has to find another way.

2. I wasn't too sure about this neither, but I decided to give it a "yes". Characters may open (and move through) doors diagonally, in my opinion.

3. No way, according to me. Except for windows, as they're not impassable. But a door is, until it is opened.

I agree, however on #1 above, using the OP's example, the building corner would not block Line of Sight and (per our discussion) the player would be able to move diagonally using only 1 point of Agility.

This is shown on both pages 18 and 19 of the rulebook. The figures are two spaces away diagonally (so definitely not adjacent) and have a corner of a building adjacent to one of the figures, but the figures are still within Line of Sight of each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.