Commands & Colors: Napoleonics» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on the next expansion? I assume it will be more epic and grand battles but I would be very happy with anything for CCN.

Edit: 3 days after posting this thread and no replies. I can only assume that there is no news and I/we will have to wait patiently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have not heard of any news--at least anything that officially is in development at GMT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy with a reprint of #2 and #4 -- #4 especially, everybody that's trying to sell a copy of the Prussians is asking high prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tylergingrich wrote:
I'd be happy with a reprint of #2 and #4 -- #4 especially, everybody that's trying to sell a copy of the Prussians is asking high prices.

GMT will get around to it but the trouble is it will go on the P500 list and may take an age for 500 orders to accrue. Although I think they re-printed some of the CCA expansion from the P500 without them reaching 500 orders so you may be lucky.

However, I love the game so much I would have to pay the premium for delivery of a quick copy. This is why I'm becoming desperate for news of the nest expansion which probably won't be on our gaming tables until late 2019, now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy with a scenario pack of normal, Epic and LGB battles.

The only actual outstanding item I know of are Leaders of Honor, which logically should have appeared in Expansion #5.

In terms of wishlist;
1. An Ottoman/Mameluke army (lots of cavalry)
2. An 1812 US Army (personally, not my desire really), and really I think could be covered by a fan variant using British & French blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love some Minor States as an expansion. Sunflower blue Bavaria and orange Saxons, maybe Polish troops. New scenarios featuring those groups as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Mark and be happy with an scenario pack expansion. I've played some fan devised Epic and Grande Battle recently and they are all very good but the official offering would complete the system.

I suppose the Leader of Honour variant would bring some more colour to the game and may bring out each generals style of command but for me this has been covered in an indirect way by assigning a given number of command and tactics cards to each leader. Napoleon and Wellington appear to get six of each while other gifted leaders such as Davout get five until some of the weaker leaders are on four command and two tactics cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Groves wrote:

I suppose the Leader of Honour variant would bring some more colour to the game and may bring out each generals style of command but for me this has been covered in an indirect way by assigning a given number of command and tactics cards to each leader. Napoleon and Wellington appear to get six of each while other gifted leaders such as Davout get five until some of the weaker leaders are on four command and two tactics cards.

I've always supposed that Leaders of Honour were those present on the battlefield, rather than the Commander. So Napoleon & Wellington on the rare instances they are present on board, but more likely Ney & Hill

The Commander distinctions are think are quite adequately represented by the number of Command and Tactician cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
David Groves wrote:

I've always supposed that Leaders of Honour were those present on the battlefield, rather than the Commander. So Napoleon & Wellington on the rare instances they are present on board, but more likely Ney & Hill

The Commander distinctions are think are quite adequately represented by the number of Command and Tactician cards

Yes, I see what you mean. I believe Lannes was particularly good in advanced guard work and pinning an enemy while the bulk of the main French army arrived to give battle whereas Ney was a master at the rear guard. Do you think that these types of characteristics will be assigned to a given general and so affect local play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Groves wrote:

Yes, I see what you mean. I believe Lannes was particularly good in advanced guard work and pinning an enemy while the bulk of the main French army arrived to give battle whereas Ney was a master at the rear guard. Do you think that these types of characteristics will be assigned to a given general and so affect local play?

Aside from the stated card effect, I have no idea.
Moreover, those effects are more campaigning skills than battle skills. I don't really see how they would fit into CCN. If Lannes or Ney were the Commander, I would give them extra Command/Tactician cards for those types of battles. As leaders on the field, I can't see how to make that work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
David Groves wrote:

Aside from the stated card effect, I have no idea.
Moreover, those effects are more campaigning skills than battle skills. I don't really see how they would fit into CCN. If Lannes or Ney were the Commander, I would give them extra Command/Tactician cards for those types of battles. As leaders on the field, I can't see how to make that work.

Oh, well, I suspect that we will have to wait out the long wait and see what RB has planned for us all

One last point, the CCN expansions were programmed by GMT and predictable as to what was coming next (eg: the Austrian army followed by the Prussian army)it was just a question of when. However, that programming has now gone and speculation has taken its place as to what happens next and how many expansions are left before the series is complete. It would be good to know more of RB/GMTs plans for the future regardless of how long it will take to bring those expansions to market.

All the best
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Royce
United States
St Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I have not heard anything either. I was thinking that perhaps an expansion would have a campaign book or two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proyce wrote:
I have not heard anything either. I was thinking that perhaps an expansion would have a campaign book or two?

Yes, campaign books would be good for this series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proyce wrote:

What things are covered in a Campaign Book, or would you like to have covered?
The Memoir Books are the only campaign books I'm (slightly) aware of.
https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/campaign-books/

I know Michael set up some campaign rules
http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/forum-main/6-va...
Always seemed a little odd to me that the outcome of one scenario effected a subsequent battle of a completely different Corps on almost the same day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Benson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
I'd be happy with a scenario pack of normal, Epic and LGB battles.

The only actual outstanding item I know of are Leaders of Honor, which logically should have appeared in Expansion #5.

In terms of wishlist;
1. An Ottoman/Mameluke army (lots of cavalry)
2. An 1812 US Army (personally, not my desire really), and really I think could be covered by a fan variant using British & French blocks.

+1 these ideas and also the minor states. Especially, +1 the Ottomans.

Among possible new units, it would be nice to see those favorites of the Napoleonic battlefield - the French guard lancers - getting their own blocks.

On the more mundane side, making up the numbers of Portuguese and British line infantry for lgb scenarios and an extra unit or two of French line and light infantry and foot artillery would be useful, I think.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Leaders of Honor was some kind of production problem and it would be nice to see progress to clarify the rules around LoH without waiting for another expansion, given that exp #6 didn’t address the issue but that’s for another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marktb1961 wrote:

Especially, +1 the Ottomans.

To each their own, I guess, but outside of the Egypt campaign (which is before the era Borg wants to cover in CCN, evidently), the Ottomans were not much of a factor in actual Napoleonic campaigns, so I am not sure what you would do with them.

marktb1961 wrote:
On the more mundane side, making up the numbers of Portuguese and British line infantry for lgb scenarios and an extra unit or two of French line and light infantry and foot artillery would be useful, I think.

With all the extras in the other expansions, I am pretty sure I have more French line than I could ever use . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:

To each their own, I guess, but outside of the Egypt campaign (which is before the era Borg wants to cover in CCN, evidently,), the Ottomans were not much of a factor in actual Napoleonic campaigns, so I am not sure what you would do with them.

Russo-Turkish War (1806–1812)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Turkish_War_(1806%E2%80%...)

Turks tied up the Russians for quite a few years, and were a consideration at Tilsit.
Moreover, the Russian army made considerable strides in efficiency and experience due to the campaigning in the Balkans.

But really would have to double as the Mamluk army of Egypt to make it worthwhile in terms of scenarios.

But now you mention it, a French Revolutionary Army Expansion wouldn't hurt either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Benson
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
marktb1961 wrote:

With all the extras in the other expansions, I am pretty sure I have more French line than I could ever use . . .

It is possible to reach the limits by having an epic and a different allied base scenario separately sorted, just lacking the odd French unit of that type. Of course, even to have both in use, there are other solutions.

So yes, not my #1 priority either, I'll admit, nor even #10 if it was competing for sticker space with units needed to complete LGB scenarios or variety in a new army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you can find the Prussians, buy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.