Trevor Holland
msg tools
This is stemming from my Rules thread here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28210842#28210842

We completely missed the part about only opening crates on constructed buildings. We're only playing 2 player (me and my girlfriend). My girlfriend has opened literally every crate she's come in contact with. I've also opened quite a few crates, but collectively we've only built maybe 10 buildings. This means our advancement deck has building cards that still need to be constructed, but with crates that have already been open. At least we thought to mark the card if we opened the crate, so we know which ones are like this.

The question is, have we completely ruined the balance of the game at this point considering we're about to start game 5 and have probably opened 8 or 9 games worth of crates? Or, will this sort of work itself out as long as we start playing correctly from here on out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trevholland wrote:
This is stemming from my Rules thread here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28210842#28210842

We completely missed the part about only opening crates on constructed buildings. We're only playing 2 player (me and my girlfriend). My girlfriend has opened literally every crate she's come in contact with, but collectively we've only built maybe 10 buildings. This means our advancement deck has building cards that still need to be constructed, but with crates that have already been open. At least we thought to mark the card if we opened the crate, so we know which ones are like this.

The question is, have we completely ruined the balance of the game at this point considering we're about to start game 5 and have probably opened 8 or 9 games worth of crates? Or, will this sort of work itself out as long as we start playing correctly from here on out?

Have your inactive charters been building stuff?

Can you limit them to only building those already-opened crate cards?

How many of those marked cards do you have in your deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor: The game doesn't really function if you've unlocked crates from unconstructed building cards, as a number of rules are predicated on certain buildings being constructed. I'm sorry, but I think this may be a situation where the recharge pack is necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Holland
msg tools
Thanks for the quick response. I'll go ahead and put in an order for the recharge pack.

My girlfriend had a good idea. It would be nice if the crate image and number was under the building sticker. So you build the building, peel of the sticker, and have another potential surprise waiting for you in the form of a rewarded crate! And think about it, all you have to do is completely change the way the game is produced. Easy-peasy! </sarcasm>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Holland
msg tools
Quote:
Have your inactive charters been building stuff?

Yup! Game 2, they had nothing to build because we actually built everything that was in the deck. Game 3, they all built one building. Game 4, they all built one building.

Quote:
Can you limit them to only building those already-opened crate cards

Sure, it's easy enough to dig those cards out since we've marked them. We could pull them out and start using those to build non-player charter buildings until they're all gone. Not a bad idea to attempt to correct the issue.

Quote:
How many of those marked cards do you have in your deck?

I'd say 7 or 8 at this point. Maybe a couple more, maybe a couple less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trevholland wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. I'll go ahead and put in an order for the recharge pack.

My girlfriend had a good idea. It would be nice if the crate image and number was under the building sticker. So you build the building, peel of the sticker, and have another potential surprise waiting for you in the form of a rewarded crate! And think about it, all you have to do is completely change the way the game is produced. Easy-peasy! </sarcasm>

As long as you're redesigning the physical cards, why stop there? I think you should peel off the building, then find a scratch-off area concealing the cards unlocked by the crate! That way you don't need the crate cheat-sheet.

Still easy, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, had the crate symbol been beneath the building sticker, that would have really made things interesting. We all caught on pretty quickly not to chuck building cards with crates on them into the advancement deck whenever possible. The unlocks were too valuable to throw away to someone else. Had those crate symbols been hidden, it would have made every discarded building very tense and every revealed crate that much more exciting. Though, it would be my luck to continually choose buildings with no crates. Probably better to do it the way it was. It's a novel idea though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor: That's a good idea! From a UI perspective, it would have been great. We actually did test the idea of printing under the sticker, but it's really hard to print anything that looks even halfway decent on that waxy paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony K
msg tools
mb
trevholland wrote:

Playing through again with the recharge pack should be fun, but I say don't let this ruin the campaign you already started. Determine a fair way of distributing the buildings whose crates you have already unlocked and build them for free. There will certainly be some balance issues, but if you play this somewhat skewed game after you finish your recharge pack, you should be able to mitigate that with your shared knowledge of the rules to come. Plus, that way you will still have two sides of the board completed for play-throughs after the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Holland
msg tools
Yeah, I went ahead and ordered the recharge pack, but we're going to keep going with the current game anyway.

We're going to start by taking all of the "woops" building cards out of the Advancement deck completely. This avoids either of us having to deal with building something without gaining access to the crate.

Then, we're going to take Brent's suggestion from above and have the inactive charters build those buildings at the start of each game. There's only 2 of us so that's 4 buildings per game. Within 2 games, we'll have all those buildings out there. Hopefully that'll correct things and keep the game balanced from that point forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.