Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Comfort
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game as I write: similar situation to my post of a week ago, but this time the Brits got Afghanistan via an Emissary card, i.e., no fighting. If Russian-controlled Persians move through Ghazni (Kabul being empty), must they fight the Ghazni fortress?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The Ghazni fort was NOT destroyed when Britain made Afghanistan proxy with an emissary card since it did not conquer it.

So, the Ghazni fort remains until someone conquers Afghanistan. From your question, I cannot tell if the invading Persians are on their way to Kabul, or are coming to Ghazni from Kabul. Anyway, Ghazni crumbles when anyone "conquers" Afghanistan by taking Kabul via military force. Until then, the fort exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Comfort
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again John. The Persians would have been coming from Kabul. It worried my British opponent that I would make this move, and he asked if I would have to fight the fort. I had other fish to fry / bigger problems to contend with, and never attempted such a move - but now I can answer his question.
Enjoying the game, but as the Russian player today I did find it frustrating that the Brits could (and did) choke me off completely when they got a single British SP placed in Tashkent. Without that one card in the entire deck (Crimean War of course), I could make no headway for the last three and a half decades of the game. (Neither of us could play both of our High Asia cards.) Also finding the attrition of officers to be very high; both sides are often left with a single officer on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
frustrating that the Brits could (and did) choke me off completely when they got a single British SP placed in Tashkent

If they conquered it, you could play rebellion to kick them out. If they won it via emissary card play, then you could play an emissary card to win it back.

In any case, how does Tashkent "choke" the Russian advance? There are many other spaces to move through.

Also finding the attrition of officers to be very high; both sides are often left with a single officer on the board.

This may mean you are playing too aggressively? In any case, keep in mind that each turn is a decade. How many officers spent more than 10 years at the front? How many of our famous American Civil War generals were still fighting in the 1870s? A tiny fraction of those "in play" during the 1860s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkowskij wrote:

Also finding the attrition of officers to be very high; both sides are often left with a single officer on the board.

This may mean you are playing too aggressively? In any case, keep in mind that each turn is a decade. How many officers spent more than 10 years at the front? How many of our famous American Civil War generals were still fighting in the 1870s? A tiny fraction of those "in play" during the 1860s.

Folks have the same complaint about nobles in Warriors of God - hey, those scenarios are 100 years long, it would be weird if they didn't die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Comfort
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkowskij wrote:

In any case, how does Tashkent "choke" the Russian advance? There are many other spaces to move through.

This may mean you are playing too aggressively?

Well, as I mentioned, neither IP could enter Kashgaria. For the Russians, that leaves going through the Turcomans to Khiva (very difficult before Skobelev arrives) or getting Persia with an Emissary. That's how I lost Viekevich - trying to sway Persia. Much later, I did sway Persia using Ignatiev (lucky die roll), but by then the Brits had maxed out the Afghan forces and added a few British SPs - all under Roberts (3 0), who hammered my Persians. I didn't have the cards at that time to get any Russian SP down to accompany the Persians, so I was rolling 2 dice to his one (with, of course, a -3 from Roberts).

Anyway, I got crushed. Other games have been much more balanced, but this was the first time that that single British SP could stop an advance into Bokhara from Tashkent. Perhaps I could have gone from Tashkent to Bokhara via Petro Alexandrovsky, but, realistically, that route to Bokhara from Orenburg is 5 hops, 3 of them across desert connections.

No, the high losses among officers I was mentioning came from so many odd-numbered die rolls at the end of each decade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
OK, sounds like a tough game for the Russians. A few things to keep in mind.

I did sway Persia using Ignatiev (lucky die roll)

Remember to apply the fixed +3 modifier for all Russian emissary rolls in Persia.

For the Russians, that leaves going through the Turcomans to Khiva (very difficult before Skobelev arrives) or getting Persia with an Emissary.

Glad to hear this; it's solid history and provides the "historical flavor" that some are seeking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Comfort
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, edit: That's how I lost Simonich - trying to sway Persia. I wouldn't have 'wasted' Vitkevich's (0 2) rating in Teheran, where all Russians are '3s' diplomatically. If I recall correctly, I lost Vitkevich trying to sway the Afghans back to neutrality so that the Brits would lose the use of the Afghan troops.

Yes, I have read Hopkirk's history and reassured my British opponent that the geography of the map does indeed reflect the experiences of the Russians in trying to cross Karakum, as well as the barbarous behavior of the khan of Khiva.

Thanks for all your quick replies! As I wrote, we are enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.