Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: New novel series rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
https://titanbooks.com/blog/new-firefly-fiction-announced/

Sorry if I missed an earlier posting on this, but I thought it might be of some interest.

Short version: Titan Books has announced a Firefly series of novels starting this fall. Joss Whedon is listed as "consulting editor."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
"Courage isn't the matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway." - 3rd Doctor
badge
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for GF9 to recant that nonsense about no more expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty cool. Always nice to see some new stories. I'll be honest though, ,and this is obviously without having read a word of any of them, I'd have enjoyed them more if they were featuring original characters. You know I love the gang, but things like these tend to read like fan fiction. 99% of the Star Trek books do. Star Wars too. It'd just be nice to see the Verse get fleshed out a bit more. There have to be tens of billions of people alive across hundreds of worlds, and we only get to see nine of them.

Not that I won't read them... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And here I thought we were running out of material...

I'll be curious where in continuity the books occur. It seems like at least the first two will likely fall within the timeframe of the series, before Inara leaves the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My feelings are all over the map on this. With Disney taking over and with what awful way they have handled the Star Wars Franchise, I'm very apprehensive. With Josh involved in the books, I'm at ease...a bit. I'll never forgive him for killing Book and Wash though. I'll have to check out the new stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
JediKep wrote:
My feelings are all over the map on this. With Disney taking over and with what awful way they have handled the Star Wars Franchise, I'm very apprehensive. With Josh involved in the books, I'm at ease...a bit. I'll never forgive him for killing Book and Wash though. I'll have to check out the new stories.

While Disney's handling of Star Wars hasn't been perfect, it's been an order of magnitude better than Lucas was doing. I suspect damn near every SW fan would agree that the recent movies are better than the prequel garbage that Lucas was vomiting out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not this fan, nor anyone in his circle of friends.

I don’t think Disney’s handling has been bad per se, but I find the Sequel Trilogy worse than the Prequel Trilogy by a wide margin, as does my wife and the 8-10 friends I discuss Star Wars with. I think I can honestly say I don’t know anyone who thinks the sequels are better (in fact, many of my friends have said that the new movies have given them a better appreciation of the Prequels).

Having said all that, Rogue One was awesome and Solo looks promising.

But having said THAT, I have concerns about the two new series that are heading our way. Is it going to become like Marvel where we get three movies a year?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also not convinced using the original characters was the best idea. I'll have to give the books a read once they are out and decide then.

As an original Star Wars fan (I recall standing in line multiple times in '77 as a kid) I am of mixed opinion on the recent movies. Story & character are generally weak, SFX are amazing. I think Rogue One was the best of the bunch. I appreciate the latest overall. They are all certainly an improvement over the prequels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All I have to say is this:

Angel Leia.

*mike drop*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the Firefly books, though... I guess I have some concerns if they're going to shoehorn these into the series continuity (and that certainly seems to be the intent, based on the pictures and the title of the second book).

We already know where the crew winds up in the movie, and it's not that big a jump from OBJECTS IN SPACE to there. And we've seen most of the interesting elements (Inara leaving the ship and Book preparing to, both of which leader to "darker" Mal)... so what are we going to get here?

On the surface, the idea of the first two books make for interesting episode ideas... except that they already have echoes of existing stories (THE MESSAGE and even moreso the unproduced DEAD OR ALIVE for the first, and HEART OF GOLD for the latter). The third book seems the most interesting concept, and I could easily see it being AFTER the movie. The idea that the crew would stumble upon a big score that might be tied to the secrets in River's brain seems like a great idea for a sequel.

I wonder what this means, if anything, for the future of the comics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
JediKep wrote:

While Disney's handling of Star Wars hasn't been perfect, it's been an order of magnitude better than Lucas was doing. I suspect damn near every SW fan would agree that the recent movies are better than the prequel garbage that Lucas was vomiting out.

While I agree they are better. That doesn't mean I’d class them as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

I just hope they don't get into "alternate timelines"/"alternate universes" garbage that often ruins comic plotlines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:

I can see we could easily have a knock down drag out over Lucas vs Disney. I know THIS Star Wars fan hates and detests what Disney has done to the franchise and wishes that George Lucas would have told his stories. The prequels were as awesome as the first trilogy.

I will give Rogue One the honorable mention it deserves. Tragedy, amazing eye candy (special effects), and great script. Seven and Eight...they don't exist.

Disney is doing exactly what I predicted they would do, which is sequeling us to DEATH. Like blood in the water to sharks, Disney smells money and they will ruin the franchise chasing that green for their investors.

Nuf said on that topic.

gwek wrote:
Angel Leia

May our princess rest in peace.

Quote:

I feel the comics were doing very well and I would hate to see Dark Horse get screwed over again. I would hate even more to see Marvel get a hold of the comic. The bigger names just can't / won't handle the characters with proper respect in my humble opinion.

That's it. I'm just gonna have to buy the franchise and put an end to this nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
I just hope they don't get into "alternate timelines"/"alternate universes" garbage that often ruins comic plotlines.

I'll second this sentiment.

As for the Star Wars movies. Rogue One made me feel like I was six again. Despite the odd Tarkin and slightly off Leia. In rewatching the movie, and knowing that they look odd, I can notice it and move on to enjoy the story. I guess I can chalk those two up to a special effect artifacts (like the squares around the TIE fighters I've been watching all these years).

The sequel movie series hasn't had that effect on me. But I'm far from hating them. They are, reasonable additions to the saga. Not how I would have done it, but not unreasonable. The hatred/reactionary reactions that I've seen some people exhibit are way over the top. At least to me.

Quick clarification: reasonable in the above paragraph doesn't mean real world reasonable. The whole series is a hot mess in that sense. Rather, if you tune your disbelief suspenders to work with the original three then the sequel three work -- unlike the prequel three. They're a mess on way too many levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the prequels so it seems my judgement is off, star wars 7 appeared to be a reboot of 4 to me. There is a wealth of good stories in the books that have been ignored to rehash an old plot.

Firefly I will wait and see with my fingers crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't understand the hatred of the new SW movies. But then I've never been a diehard fan of SW to begin with.

I'll just stick with Firefly, which is what this particular forum is all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don’t hate them; I just think they’re the worst of the Star Wars movies. Kind of like Bushwacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter J Burke
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure why we’re talking about Star Wars because Mal would eat Stormtroopers for breakfast, and River would whip the Vader’s ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Says the guy who got eaten by a xenomorph...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.