Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michiel Tummers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
As a newcomer i think i still don't have Domination down:

From the manual:

Domination: A superpower achieves domination of a region if it controls more non-battleground countries and battleground countries in a region than the opponent (and at least one of each).

While the player card in the same box says:

Domination: Control more countries AND more battleground countries in the region than opponent. Must control at least 1 non-Battleground and 1 battleground country

eeehr.. which one is correct? This makes a huge difference on the game. There is a difference between these too. And why is this one correct? Is there an official statement which one is correct of the two? It seems like two very different discriptions. I have been scoring like the scoring card one during my first game (because it was easy to look at ), but upon reading the manual one more time, i stumbled upon this and now im very confused
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
The player card is correct. A player with 3 battlegrounds and 1 non-battleground DOES dominate a region where his opponent has 1 battleground and 2 non-battlegrounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dave is correct.
Domination can be summed in three conditions:
1. Control more total countries in the region than your opponent.
2. Control more BG countries in the region than your opponent.
3. Control at least one non-BG country in the region.

If all three conditions are met, you have domination in that region.

(note that condition 2 satisfies the "at least one BG" part, so it does not have to be stated again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
MichielTummers wrote:
As a newcomer i think i still don't have Domination down:

From the manual:

Domination: A superpower achieves domination of a region if it controls more non-battleground countries and battleground countries in a region than the opponent (and at least one of each).

While the player card in the same box says:

Domination: Control more countries AND more battleground countries in the region than opponent. Must control at least 1 non-Battleground and 1 battleground country

eeehr.. which one is correct? This makes a huge difference on the game. There is a difference between these too. And why is this one correct? Is there an official statement which one is correct of the two? It seems like two very different discriptions. I have been scoring like the scoring card one during my first game (because it was easy to look at ), but upon reading the manual one more time, i stumbled upon this and now im very confused

The latest(?) manual introduced this error, and it looks like someone involved in typesetting or editing tried to reword things for some esoteric reason and got it wrong. You can trust the player card, all the previous manuals, and all the years of tournament play. I don't think there has been an official errata of this printing of the rulebook yet, which seems like another major oversight.

2015 and previous rules:
Quote:
Domination: A superpower achieves Domination of a Region if
it Controls more countries in that Region than its opponent, and
it Controls more Battleground countries in that Region than its
opponent. A superpower must Control at least one non-Battleground
and one Battleground country in a Region in order to
achieve Domination of that Region.

Statement about 2016 reprint:
Quote:
Twilight Struggle Deluxe Edition - 2016 Reprint

This will be a straight reprint of the 2015 Edition with no additional components or updates.

Unfortunately the error you mention was introduced to the description of Domination, which can't have been intended, given the statement above. No-one at GMT seems to have acknowledged the error yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Tummers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you very much. I was very confused concerning this, but this clears it up.

Another one: With a reallignment roll, you can also lose influence as the initiator if you roll less then opponent (the difference) right? It's not just working when you win the reallignment roll right?

I mention this because the rule book keeps mentioning "the opponent", so i was a little bit confused if this was the opponent of the reallignment roll or the opponent of the one winning the dice throw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichielTummers wrote:
With a reallignment roll, you can also lose influence as the initiator if you roll less then opponent (the difference) right?

Yes, you can realign yourself out with an unlucky dice roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
and it looks like someone involved in typesetting or editing tried to reword things for some esoteric reason and got it wrong.
It seems almost like a non-player was irritated at a sentence having to mention countries, battleground countries, and non-battleground countries in one sentence and thought he could just streamline it down to battleground and non-battleground mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Tummers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Race Bannon wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
and it looks like someone involved in typesetting or editing tried to reword things for some esoteric reason and got it wrong.
It seems almost like a non-player was irritated at a sentence having to mention countries, battleground countries, and non-battleground countries in one sentence and thought he could just streamline it down to battleground and non-battleground mentioned.

this might be the case. It is just so confusing for someone first learning. I am a person who will read a manual religiously until i fully understand what is written. Things that were unclear to me from the manual where:

- I must use all the points with a reallignment roll to do this BUT i can switch countries inbetween (use point 1 for Iraq, point 2 for iran, point 3 for iraq again). I thought u had to use them all on the same country so you have multiple chances. When i read the player guide card afterwards it said: u may use all OPS on the same country with a reallignment roll. I was confused again. I read the manual again and it stated: You may choose target after a roll and this made more sense now.The word "opponent" was also very vague, i thought first that when you ,as the thrower, lost the reallignment roll, nothing happened because of the ambigious word "opponent" in the manual. Is this the opponent of the phasing player, or the "opponent" of the winning dice thrower. The player guide card made all the difference in the world for me again

- 6.4.3. The Victory points on the Spacerace are cumulative. I thought first that it was like , you count them again when you score a next Victory point square (like the animal tiles in Castles of Burgundy). After all this is what cumulative means right? And then i read the next section on abilities which basically said you discard the ability after another player gains that same ability (only the first one gains it though). "The effects of these special abilities are immediate and cumulative."
And then it made sense to me that the VP cumulative just means you dont substract them whenever another player gains them.. but they didnt even need to state the cumulative part, because nobody will think this at all (with 2/1 VP system etc)?

- Then i thought you had to score everything you had. So Presence AND domination, it didnt state at all it was just supposed to be the one you have. It just explained: presense is this, domination is this, control is this. Combine that with the conflicting text in the manual and on the player guide card and you can understand i was VERY confused of this all. Thankfully the BGG exists, because i googled all of this

The manual is sorted in a logical and nice way (i like this, it soothens me) but it is a big mess and many stuff could be written much cleaner and in only one way, so that people dont interpret it falsly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the rules are not good. The cards are also badly written. You will need to refer back to BGG sometimes, I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mowrer
United States
California
flag msg tools
dirubin wrote:
The player card is correct. A player with 3 battlegrounds and 1 non-battleground DOES dominate a region where his opponent has 1 battleground and 2 non-battlegrounds.

I don't think this is correct. In this proposed scenario, the player does not have more non-battleground countries, so they do not meet the requirements for Domination.

I also don't see a difference between the card and manual descriptions that were cited in this thread's starting post. While worded differently, they both state that Player A must have more Battleground AND more Non-Battleground countries than Player B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlasticGoBaby wrote:
dirubin wrote:

I don't think this is correct. In this proposed scenario, the player does not have more non-battleground countries, so they do not meet the requirements for Domination.

I also don't see a difference between the card and manual descriptions that were cited in this thread's starting post. While worded differently, they both state that Player A must have more Battleground AND more Non-Battleground countries than Player B.

... and the part in bold is incorrect.

The correct conditions have already been listed above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.