Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with the Literary Awards once. My wife, whom is a much better wordsmith than I am, got a 7 letter word early in the game. Toward the end, I had lots of ink and lots of remover. I was sure she was going to win... until she helped me. I'd pushed my luck with some ink and got a number of letters out. She actually came up with an 8 letter word for me giving me the win.

Her criticism is that with enough ink and remover it is very easy to make long words; just push your luck with ink to get the required number of letters, use remover on those that don't go well together, use all the cards you need to as wilds and viola!

7 ink and 5 remover will result in 2 letters you have to use and 10 potential wild cards. It shouldn't be too challenging to think up a 12 letter word to fit the situation. That's 15 points.

I, personally, wouldn't be able to abuse that too much. She seems to think it would be too easy. Has anyone else noticed this?

I think it wouldn't be so bad in a multi player game, but in a 2-player game it can be a 20-point swing (your opponent has the 7 letter award for 5 points and you bust in with the 12 letter word for 15 points.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The rules don't disallow this, but it's an easy enough ruling to just say "wild don't count for word length".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory, it sounds easy. But consider that between the two of you, the largest word you made was 8 letters. Moreover, the game really leads/drives you to maximize your cards by getting them face up as often as possible. You would have to build up a lot of ink and especially remover to make a 12-letter word happen. Even getting 5 remover [and 7 ink] is more difficult than it sounds. After all, you may only acquire it from a select number of cards. You have to purchase said cards. Making large words is more common when playing those horror cards which grant remover. But that is just another avenue to go down. It's not an end-all strategy in my experience.

After playing many games, I personally don't find the literary awards to be dominating. Their strength lies in their points being added after the game ends. But even so, whomever gains the award doesn't auto-win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remover is pretty hard to come by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:

True, but in the game that sparked this debate I had 4 Remover at the end (and I'd used 1 or 2 during the game). I had a number of Horror cards that gave me remover. It wasn't unusual to pick up 2 Remover in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdjanssen wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

True, but in the game that sparked this debate I had 4 Remover at the end (and I'd used 1 or 2 during the game). I had a number of Horror cards that gave me remover. It wasn't unusual to pick up 2 Remover in one turn.

Which to me balances it out that it was a near-game-end crescendo to get the literary award after accumulating remover a whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
rdjanssen wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

Which to me balances it out that it was a near-game-end crescendo to get the literary award after accumulating remover a whole game.

Played again at lunch with some friends. We were playing basic, since two of them were new. One guy had 4 horror cards and had accumulated 4 remover when the scores were hovering around 16 points. Seems very easy to accumulate. And ink is super easy to get. Pick any 12-letter word... idk.. WHEELBARROWS...EXPLORATIONS.. etc. 7 ink and 3-5 remover will virtually guarantee you the 12-letter Literary award for 15 points.

This seems to only be an issue when someone is focusing on Horror. Maybe this is only a real problem in a 2-player game where stealing the Literary Award from your opponent is at least a 20 point swing (could be as high as a 28 point swing). I'll report back after more full games with the Literary Award and let you know how it goes. Maybe it isn't that big of deal. Feel free to try to abuse Remover with the Literary Award and see what happens. I'm curious.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdjanssen wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:
rdjanssen wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

Played again at lunch with some friends. We were playing basic, since two of them were new. One guy had 4 horror cards and had accumulated 4 remover when the scores were hovering around 16 points. Seems very easy to accumulate. And ink is super easy to get. Pick any 12-letter word... idk.. WHEELBARROWS...EXPLORATIONS.. etc. 7 ink and 3-5 remover will virtually guarantee you the 12-letter Literary award for 15 points.

This seems to only be an issue when someone is focusing on Horror. Maybe this is only a real problem in a 2-player game where stealing the Literary Award from your opponent is at least a 20 point swing (could be as high as a 28 point swing). I'll report back after more full games with the Literary Award and let you know how it goes. Maybe it isn't that big of deal. Feel free to try to abuse Remover with the Literary Award and see what happens. I'm curious.

Thanks.

But even if, both sides (all sides) still have the same avenue available to them. It turns it more into a race game -- the horror cards being the route to remover, being the route to the Literary Award. Paperback was essentially a race game.

I'm having trouble imagining too many 12 letter words without heavy use of ink and remover. So remover is pretty much a path to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.