United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDEL STEIN & REICH
(Paul, Evan, Walt, Greg)

Walt brought a pile of games to MVGA, including both Basari and Edel, Stein & Reich (ESR,) its 2003 remake. ESR has no board, but it will accommodate 5 players (the limit for Basari is 4,) so we selected the higher-capacity game. As we were reviewing the rules, Dan arrived. Neither version works for 6, so Eric decided to play a 2-player game with Dan while the other 4 stuck with ESR.

ESR offers a simultaneous choice of actions. In most cases, it's best to select an action no one else has selected, because you may lose your opportunity (or at least be required to pay a price to keep it) if one or more opponents select the same action.

In this game, Evan consistently made the right selections. Evan and Paul both scored three different colors of gems at different points in the game, but in the end, Evan finished with no gems at all (that's ZERO gems) and yet won by a mile. This game wasn't even close to being close.

Final scores: Evan 90, Paul 60, Walt 53, Greg 35.

Eric's rating: 6. I enjoy Basari much more than ESR, partly because I enjoy having a board in front of me and partly because the die-roll option in Basari gives some degree of control over when scoring will occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.