Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game truly 3-hr game? Or are their different campaigns that are shorter?

Thanks!
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Fisher's back!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are small map configurations that are shorter. GMT's page lists a possible playtime as 1-4 hours, and the designer noted that he provided 3 hours to BGG as a "most scenarios can run this quickly" benchmark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nightfall 23
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For what is worth, I had a 5 hours Space Empires 4X game last saturday and (as usual) it was fantastic, you really don´t feel the length of the game, it is so involved...it was 4 players btw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the time-strapped Dad, which I am, however, a three-hour, let alone five-hour, game is too long. Likely it won't be played, and that to me is not only a waste of money, it's a waste of cabinet space...

That's where I am coming from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
For the time-strapped Dad, which I am, however, a three-hour, let alone five-hour, game is too long. Likely it won't be played, and that to me is not only a waste of money, it's a waste of cabinet space...

That's where I am coming from.
If you have a way to preserve the game state (second table, separate room, vassal) it has some natural break points after/before each econ phase. It is definitely possible to finish a two player scenario in an hour, but it requires people to realize that offence is the best defence and also willingness to concede when things are hopeless.
Especially the knife fight scenario from the Close Encounters scenario book will be of relevance, but forget about playing a scenario that takes 6 rows of deep space or even the whole map. Might not be a bad thing though, the different sized scenarios play quite differently and depending on your playstyle you may not enjoy the large scenarios anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristijan Petrovski
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How will you be playing the game? The solo doomsday scenario can be completed in about 1.5 hours (without rushing). Play time increases with each player added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had intended to play the game solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo and two player (or teams) are the quickest ways to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben McClellan
United States
Brunswick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slowmow wrote:
How will you be playing the game? The solo doomsday scenario can be completed in about 1.5 hours (without rushing). Play time increases with each player added.

Yeah, and I'd say once you get comfortable with the system you can easily knock it down to 60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Colwell
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slowmow wrote:

I just played my first solo doomsday scenario and it took 2 1/2 hours. I took my time and wanted to make sure I crushed the doomsday machines. I did!(on easy mode anyway). I expect the solo game would normally take 1 1/2 hours for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Martin
United States
CAMAS
WA
flag msg tools
designer
"...but only slightly less well known is this:
badge
...never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!"
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
I had intended to play the game solo.
Yeah Mark, as a fellow dad with little'uns, this makes it on to the table only a handful of times a year with a particular friend. We've gotten our playtime waaay down from our initial attempt at the tiny 'knife fight' scenario (which took 5 hours, without finishing) to a completed (halelujah!) 2.5 hours "Normal" scenario.

So it hits the table rarely- but when it does!

Solo games for me run in about an hour and half, which I can do on dad time if I carve out time for it on an evening (very rare), or if I have a wife-less weekend/night. It gives a ton back as a solo game, far and away the go-to choice for me, when I do have time. I'm not a compulsive game collector, so this + Twilight Struggle are really my only non-family games that I am ok with just sitting there until the stars align and we can play.

If you've got a massive collection and don't want one more shelf-sitter, I could see avoiding this with little kiddos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexandre Boureau
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also a time-strapped dad, but I have found the game so good that we made some room in our planning, by basically removing every other game from our rotation.
That and SE4X beats sleeping hands down (but my youngest is 3 year old, which gives some chance of not being woken up too early on the next morning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.