Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I like Civ/4x games, but I'm curios if there are any games out there that give some of the elements of a Civ game but where you only control one character or a few characters. Obviously, this does not make it a civ game, but a "civ-adjacent" game. Specifically, I'm most interested in the "tech-tree" side of a civ game, so a game where your character gets new skills or equipment that mirrors a tech tree in a civ game. I'd prefer aggressive and non-aggressive paths to victory, but that is not a must.

I've played Xia: Legends of a Drift System, which I think would count. I'm wondering if Runebound (Third Edition) might as well, but I've never played it.

The reason I am asking is I like Civ games, but they can tend to bog down as the number of pieces you control increases. I'm wondering if a game like this would give me some of the aspects I like in a Civ game but stay more manageable for most play situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound isn't a Civ game.

If your "Civ" is a character, tons of fantasy games like that. I suppose you'd call Runebond that. Lots of D&D style games with character advancement...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Mage Knight Board Game or Star Trek: Frontiers count?

It's a stretch but on Frontiers you have your evolving deck where you add better cards, and you also can pick up crew members which give you additional benefits. It's tech tree-ish (maybe).

There's also explring newtiles and extermminating enemies. Not so much exploting though.

Again I admit this is a big stretch but maybe fits the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call it a Civ/4x game, but Path of Light and Shadow is an Area Control game where you play a single character. It features tech trees and you're recruiting additional troops via deck-building.

Mage Knight Board Game also comes to mind, but it doesn't really have tech-trees (and play time is pretty long, so I'm not sure you'd gain anything from playing it instead of a civ game).

Did you look into Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn? It's quite streamlined and plays a lot faster than most Civ games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Runebound isn't a Civ game.

Sometimes I wonder if people even read posts in this forum before they reply.

I do think Mage Knight is an example of the sort of thing I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I didn't play my copy enough to not have to re-learn all the rule exceptions every game, so I ended up selling my copy.

I go Civ: New Dawn from my Secret Santa, and I really like the game for what it is.

I know all of these will be stretches. I understand a game like Runebound will not play exactly like a Civ game. I was just curious what games were out there with that sense of advancement, exploration, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If PnP is not a problem, then you may take a look at Advancement.

The game is not listed in the database and can be downloaded for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The characters in Albion's Legacy have to move out from Camelot and explore the kingdom to complete quests.
The character tech tree is lacking but rewards can give a similar feel.

Not sure if Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game would appeal too.
It has a cool character advancement and you can avoid aggressive play to reach your gaols.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Possibly not what you were thinking, but Origins: How We Became Human allows you to evolve your species as a whole. Not a particular character as such, but the general capabilities of your own peoples. So they evolve language, tool use, social skills and natural history knowledge.

There are similar developments in Neanderthal by the same designer. In this game you play as a representative tribal band of hunter gatherers as they exploit their environment and possibly settle down with domesticated animals and advanced stone age tools.

I have a personal preference for games which combine the individual with the grand-scale ever since playing Freedom in the Galaxy 30+ years ago. Other games like this include War of the Ring (Second Edition) and Star Wars: Rebellion

For levelling up individual characters, you might like:
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Arkham Horror
Eldritch Horror
as well as any of many Living Card Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.