4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Podcasts & Blogs

Subject: Old Channel, New Format rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
msg tools
Hi All,

I just wanted to say hi and introduce ourselves. We're not really new but we changed our format quite a bit. We used to be a kid's toy channel and converted it to a board game tutorial and review site. Our kids lost interest in doing the work but we, the parents, still love playing board games and making vids. We thought it'd be fun to share our enthusiasm with other board game geeks here.

Please check out the few vids we have up and feel free to leave us comments, ideas and suggestions. We want this channel to be catered specifically for you. More to come on a weekly basis.

Here is our first board game review.

Don't hold back. Tell us what's good and bad.

Thanks,

-TTR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed -- nice, succinct review. Great production quality. Lots to like here. Looking forward to future vids!

A couple thoughts toward improvements on first viewing:

1. I think the background music might work better at a slightly lower volume (or gone altogether, though certainly that's a taste thing).

2. I would think about changing your channel name now before your new content gathers too much steam and you're locked in. Or start a new channel. The word "toy" in the title sends the wrong signal to hobby gamers--some people get twitchy around here about this hobby being stigmatized as for children. The name of the channel doesn't reflect interest in hobby board games. You do a good job of signalling your expertise with the games on the shelf in the background, and your references to other games in the field (I like the suggestion that you wanted a game that was like Munchkin + Terraforming Mars) solidifies that, but I think you're fighting an uphill battle for new viewers (from inside the hobby) with the word "toy" front and center.

3. Obviously this take time, but... reviewers have value as we build a relationship with them over time. It might be good to make an introduction video for the channel that tells new viewers a bit about your tastes so we can contextualize your reviews. For example, if you like Arkham Horror and A Touch of Evil but didn't like Fallout, that gives us a much different take on your review than if you don't like any long adventure games of this ilk. I always liked the way that the defunct Perfect Information podcast included a segment in reviews called "Makes me want to play," where they talked about how the review game reminded them of other games they like. It provided great context.

Finally, stick around BGG some -- we're a pretty small part of the overall hobby, but you'll find lots of interesting people here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor B.
Hungary
Straight outta Borsod
flag msg tools
"Virtue is nothing else than right reason."
badge
Goatham.
mbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!
Buy yourself an avatar with your newly aquired , and keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
Wow! Thanks for the encouragement and constructive feedback!

It's funny that you mentioned the channel name. We were in the process of changing it last night. We decided to change it to Table Top Reviews after reviewing our first videos. We'll leave the first few vids as is for now but the future vids will contain our new branding. We'll also have to leave the old vids on there as they help get our videos pushed up on the search. We had a pretty decent base with the kid's vids. They give a good boost to begin with.

The introduction video is a great idea and most likely necessary since we are reestablishing our channel.

We thought about the music before posting. We've read many forum post and youtube replies to other reviewers' videos where viewers did not like the music and they found it too distracting. However, that being said, the video just seemed stale without it. I think some videos will work with music, others not so much. Our Queendomino tutorial is a good example where we left out music. It was pulling away from the content in that video.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome and feedback. More vids on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.