16 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Pace(?) of the base game and its expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anon Ymus
Germany
flag msg tools
I've bought Pandemic Iberia a few days ago as my first Pandemic game. I'm happy with and I'm already thinking about buying normal Pandemic down the line.

There are two things that I'd want from another Pandemic game: the ability to cure the diseases, which Pandemic obviously provides, and more of an up and down as the game progresses. I've heard in one review of Iberia that your situation Iberia gets progressively worse as time you get further into the game (so far, I can agree with this, it gets worse or at best stays the same).

The reviewer (I think it was rahdo) also said this is different from normal Pandemic, I'm guessing in large part because you can cure diseases, which supposedly can make it more of a rollercoaster ride, which would be a nice change from Iberia.

My questions are:

1) Would you say this is true, can it get better and worse during the game?

2) How do the expansions change this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot comment on the expansions as I don't have any.

But yes Regular is more of a rollercoaster. Gradual ups. Sudden downs.
You can have everything under your control only to have an epidemic spring up in the worst possible cities. Then it is a slow damage control period to get things back under control again. All the while the clock is ticking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both and the narrative for both feels very similar to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation gets progressively worse in both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO Pandemic: On the Brink is one of the best expansions that I have ever bought (and I have bought a lot of expansions). It refreshes the base game, making it a whole new challenge, plus it has a Purple disease, and who doesn't love the addition of purple to their game? I regard Pandemic + OTB as essential for anybody who enjoys the Pandemic shtick. I find Iberia to be the harder game, so you might need to take that into account when "buying backwards".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
IMO Pandemic: On the Brink is one of the best expansions that I have ever bought (and I have bought a lot of expansions). It refreshes the base game, making it a whole new challenge, plus it has a Purple disease, and who doesn't love the addition of purple to their game? I regard Pandemic + OTB as essential for anybody who enjoys the Pandemic shtick. I find Iberia to be the harder game, so you might need to take that into account when "buying backwards".

+1 to this. I love all the expansions, but On the Brink is the best and logical first choice. I almost always play with the lab challenge from In the Lab, but I can see how some might not be as enamored and might pass on it.

Although to be fair, if one gets On the Brink, the virulent strain and/or mutation module can easily make it a step up in difficulty from Iberia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Virulent strain pretty much adds a "Pandemic Legacy light" feel to the game. It's probably my favorite module, since it can be added to the game very quickly after the first few games.

Mutation and especially Bioterrorist are more for groups who have grown slightly tired of vanilla Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think On the Brink is considered to be practically base game at this point, it's so integral -- when they came out with Pandemic Legacy, it works like Pandemic plus On the Brink.

The biggest difference in feel between Iberia and Pandemic to me is that I feel more constrained early on in my ability to move in Iberia, but it's compensated by having the water purification mechanism. Pandemic does not have that. Plus the Nurse (?) ability to carry with her a disease-free zone.

But both share that set-building part about accumulating cards of the same color, and that part always seems like the hardest part of the game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Ymus
Germany
flag msg tools
Yeah, I've heard a lot of good thinks about On the Brink. How does it change the game (in the big picture)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardspiel wrote:
Yeah, I've heard a lot of good thinks about On the Brink. How does it change the game (in the big picture)?
Well, from the game's BGG entry, the overview says
Quote:
Pandemic: On the Brink includes new event cards, new role cards, rules for five players, and optional game challenges to increase the difficulty of the Pandemic base game. These new challenges, which can be used individually or combined for even more difficult play, are as follows:

•The Virulent Strain challenge makes one disease become particularly deadly in unpredictable ways.
•The Mutation challenge adds a fifth (purple) disease that behaves differently than the original four.
•The Bio-Terrorist challenge pits one player against the others!
Virulent Strain and Mutation are both awesome, adding a fifth player was very important for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
I think On the Brink is considered to be practically base game at this point, it's so integral -- when they came out with Pandemic Legacy, it works like Pandemic plus On the Brink.

I'm not sure how this is true. Without giving spoilers on the rest of the game, from the opening game setup the only difference from base Pandemic components (without On the Brink) is the Generalist is available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lithy wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

I'm not sure how this is true. Without giving spoilers on the rest of the game, from the opening game setup the only difference from base Pandemic components (without On the Brink) is the Generalist is available.

I had in mind how the event cards work -- event cards are one of the primary balancing mechanisms in different player counts, and I think On the Brink way of dealing with Event Card distribution is pretty much thought to be a superior tweak to the design balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lithy wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

It's in the sense that diseases suddenly start acting differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin V

Mount Oliver
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
lithy wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

I had in mind how the event cards work -- event cards are one of the primary balancing mechanisms in different player counts, and I think On the Brink way of dealing with Event Card distribution is pretty much thought to be a superior tweak to the design balance.

Ah good call out on the Event cards, I missed that. I do agree on that point and obviously the designers do as well since every other game (Iberia, Cthulu, Rising Tide) all use the 2 Events per player setup.

I wonder if they will ever make the base game include at least 10 events because that's the only thing that keeps it from being a 5 player game out of the box.

baba44713 wrote:
lithy wrote:
Race Bannon wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's in the sense that diseases suddenly start acting differently.

Which is a spoiler of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Brink also made Pandemic a 5 player game, which seemed to have become standard (Iberia).

So again, On the Brink is sort of the "main" power up expansion to Pandemic, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuff Buff
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Definitely buy regular Pandemic it's amazing. We have both regular Pandemic and Iberia. I like the theme of Iberia. The game-play is very similar. I think regular Pandemic does have ups and downs. There are definitely times you think you have everything under-control and them BAM a virus is back with a vengeance. The reason I suggest you buy regular Pandemic is because you can play with the expansions which are awesome and will prepare you for LEGACY if you're interested!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.