Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for some clarity regarding the traits of SCX vs. DDX and RX.

From page 6 of the rules in Section 4.2:
Quote:
When X is added to the end of a type it means that a non-advanced unit of that type may not be upgraded to the X version. For example: DDX and RX. See the rules under the SCX for a partial exception to this.

Here's section 4.8 discussing the SCXs:
Quote:
When AC 3 is researched, the player may build the ScoutX Group (SCX #7). This acts as a normal Scout (SC) counter in every way, although it must be equipped with a Movement Technology 3 levels higher than the player has researched (to a maximum of Move 7). The original six SC Counters may still be used but the SCs in them may not be upgraded to SCXs. Until Move 7 is research SCXs must be new builds.

If the player has Move 7, the SCX #7 group confers no additional benefit and can be combined with the other groups normally.

So what is the partial exception that 4.2 mentions? I see that 4.8 says that the SCX group can be combined with standard Scouts once you have researched Move 7 since they are identical builds at that point... Is that the exception mentioned in 4.2?

Also, note the bold part in 4.8 about SCXs needing to be new builds... I'm not sure what that means.

Since I'm working on the consolidated rule book I was hoping to work it more clearly.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The partial exception is that once you reach Move 7, SCs may be upgraded to / interchanged with SCXs (because they're now identical). Until that happens, no SC->SCX upgrade is possible and so any SCX that you want has to be new construction (the bold statement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. Okay.
It's weirdly worded, since there's really no "upgrading" going on once you have Move 7.

I appreciate your timely response. Thank you sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is how I'm going to work it in the Master Rule Book:

"When AC 3 is researched, the player may build the ScoutX group (SCX #7). The original six SC counters may still be used after researching AC 3 but SCs may never be upgraded to SCX. The SCX #7 group acts as a normal Scout (SC) counter in every way, although it must be equipped with a Movement Technology 3 levels higher than the player has researched (to a maximum of Move 7).

Once the player researches Move 7, the SCX #7 group confers no additional benefit and can be combined with the SC groups normally as if they were identical."

I'll also likely remove the comment in 4.2 regarding SCX since it's not clear or entirely accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that some rules lawyer will then argue that they can combine the SCX with SCs that haven't actually been upgraded to Move 7; your wording appears to be overriding the requirement that the technologies in combined groups be identical. It would be better to word it as, "...the SCX #7 group confers no additional benefit and can be combined with other SC subject to normal technology and experience matching requirements."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. That's solid. I'll use it. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.