Hunt for the Ring» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on finding and hiding information tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im just reading through the rules and trying to make sense of the information tokens during gameplay. It says the nazgul can go to certain locations and if they search or hunt there, and the locations number matches one of frodos info tokens that he drew at the beginning of the game, the nazgul get that token which unlocks an ability. It sounds like this process is automatic, meaning as long as a search or hunt is done at the location, the info token MUST be given to them.

On p22 it says frodo can journey to those same locations which will allow him to prevent the nazgul from being able to obtain the tokens and deny them new abilities. It talks about the ring bearer secretly flipping these info tokens but is this announced to the nazgul?? (Ie. "I just flipped an info token so thats one you wont be able to get) or does frodo just do this behind his screen and not even mention anything about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless "secretly" has a meaning I'm unaware of, the ringbearer doesn't say anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just seems so easy for the ring bearer to just head towards these locations to stop the nazgul from getting abilities and the nazgul would never know! Just seems like an unfair advantage which is why i asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
shooshoo wrote:
It just seems so easy for the ring bearer to just head towards these locations to stop the nazgul from getting abilities and the nazgul would never know! Just seems like an unfair advantage which is why i asked.

Unless he's lucky with start location and which tokens are drawn, it's probably risky and time consuming to focus on this rather than making directly for Bree.

Risky because the Nazgul are liable to Search/Hunt those locations even if they have no reason to think Frodo is there. It's a viable strategy for them to focus on finding information early on so they start Part 2 with those extra action options.

Time consuming because it's not likely he can grab more than 1-2 without significant detour and lengthening his route. And that will mean he ends up taking more corruption either because he doesn't make it to Bree on time, or because he's left more spaces for the Nazgul to search.

The Nazgul should know from the start that named locations are where they might find information, so they can focus on those if they have chance to search en route to Bag End. We missed that detail on our first playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.