Ryan Thompson
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
This will only be my second expansion besides FL. Will it add the focus mechanic to my game, or should I also get the SR expansion as well?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
It's pretty easy to proxy the focus mechanic with some pennies but I don't know if it'll add focus tokens.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
I think most expansions that use a mechanic will include what you need. By that logic I also assume there will be a 'mystic ruins' token.

Most expansions come with more than a couple extra tokens anyways, even a few health or sanity to top up your supplies. It would be trivial for them to include this.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rcthompson88 wrote:
Will this expansion add the focus mechanic to my game if I don't already have it?
Yes, it will.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to hold off getting this expansion, everything I read, if you don't have the majority of the other expansion, it's not worth it at all, even the campaign was put together in almost a lazy manner.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitrios Seretakis
Greece
Karpenisi
Euritania
flag msg tools
Avatar
salex724 wrote:
You might want to hold off getting this expansion, everything I read, if you don't have the majority of the other expansion, it's not worth it at all, even the campaign was put together in almost a lazy manner.


Let’s wait and hear from the people that get it first. I have all the small expansions and was waiting patiently for this to be my first big one. If it’s not that good i will change the priority for the Dreamlands.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
salex724 wrote:
You might want to hold off getting this expansion, everything I read, if you don't have the majority of the other expansion, it's not worth it at all


You get two Ancient Ones, seven investigators, personal stories, and the usual new encounters, conditions, and related stuff. It's not like there's nothing in the box but air and a campaign. The personal stories balance out any possible lack of a sideboard as far as the value-to-contents go.

(Having said that, I could not care less about personal stories. Didn't like them in Arkham, don't anticipate liking them here, and would rather have had a sideboard. But still, it's not like the box has nothing in it. And given how many people have asked for the personal stories over the years, I would really, really have to say that it was a good move to include them over another sideboard.)
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
salex724 wrote:
You might want to hold off getting this expansion, everything I read, if you don't have the majority of the other expansion, it's not worth it at all


You get two Ancient Ones, seven investigators, personal stories, and the usual new encounters, conditions, and related stuff. It's not like there's nothing in the box but air and a campaign. The personal stories balance out any possible lack of a sideboard as far as the value-to-contents go.

(Having said that, I could not care less about personal stories. Didn't like them in Arkham, don't anticipate liking them here, and would rather have had a sideboard. But still, it's not like the box has nothing in it. And given how many people have asked for the personal stories over the years, I would really, really have to say that it was a good move to include them over another sideboard.)
I highly suggest you look and read every article for this expansion closely, if you think it's not a disgrace that you have to use old preludes from past expansion to use in the campagin expansion, then you are the type of customer they love.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
salex724 wrote:
I highly suggest you look and read every article for this expansion closely, if you think it's not a disgrace that you have to use old preludes from past expansion to use in the campagin expansion, then you are the type of customer they love.

Seriously?

I don't know if I should be scratching my head over the HWFO about actually having to use stuff you got in the past again, or pointing out that I wasn't, when you get down to it, trying to defend the campaign.

What I was doing was a comparison between prior big box expansions and this one, on a component level. Let's see:

Prior expansions
2 ancient ones
8 investigators
sideboard
new location and encounter cards
new items, artifacts, spells
new conditions
new monsters
various tokens and stuff like that
possibly new rules and mechanics
Masks of the Narly Dude
2 ancient ones
7 investigators
personal stories
new location and encounter cards
new items, artifacts, spells
new conditions
new monsters
various tokens and stuff like that
resources, maybe other new rules
campaign rules













So if you compare the two, you're getting essentially everything that prior big-box expansions had. You get one less investigator. You get personal stories instead of a sideboard. And you get campaign rules, in addition to the rest of the stuff. Which, if you don't like, you can ignore, and you end up with the same amount of stuff that other big boxes came with.

If the reason you were getting this expansion was the campaign, and you don't like it, then yeah, don't buy this one. If you want the rest of the stuff but don't like the campaign rules, feel free to complain about them to your hearts content. But saying that everything in the box suxxx because you don't like one part of it is just empty HWFO.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
salex724 wrote:
I highly suggest you look and read every article for this expansion closely, if you think it's not a disgrace that you have to use old preludes from past expansion to use in the campagin expansion, then you are the type of customer they love.

Seriously?

I don't know if I should be scratching my head over the HWFO about actually having to use stuff you got in the past again, or pointing out that I wasn't, when you get down to it, trying to defend the campaign.

What I was doing was a comparison between prior big box expansions and this one, on a component level. Let's see:

Prior expansions
2 ancient ones
8 investigators
sideboard
new location and encounter cards
new items, artifacts, spells
new conditions
new monsters
various tokens and stuff like that
possibly new rules and mechanics
Masks of the Narly Dude
2 ancient ones
7 investigators
personal stories
new location and encounter cards
new items, artifacts, spells
new conditions
new monsters
various tokens and stuff like that
resources, maybe other new rules
campaign rules













So if you compare the two, you're getting essentially everything that prior big-box expansions had. You get one less investigator. You get personal stories instead of a sideboard. And you get campaign rules, in addition to the rest of the stuff. Which, if you don't like, you can ignore, and you end up with the same amount of stuff that other big boxes came with.

If the reason you were getting this expansion was the campaign, and you don't like it, then yeah, don't buy this one. If you want the rest of the stuff but don't like the campaign rules, feel free to complain about them to your hearts content. But saying that everything in the box suxxx because you don't like one part of it is just empty HWFO.
ok you don't get what I'm saying and you've been triggered, conversation over, get help.

PS: either you are working for FFG or you're making profit from this to get this upset.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam S
msg tools
mb
Dreamlands is my favorit expansion. If you read the quest for the unknown Kadtath it is even better since locations are all there. There's also great investigators, fun ancient ones, and you can use the sideboard with any ancient one using a prelude card.

The mask expansion is definately not a good first expansion considering it is geared towards people with other expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitrios Seretakis
Greece
Karpenisi
Euritania
flag msg tools
Avatar
xaxppzx1 wrote:
Dreamlands is my favorit expansion. If you read the quest for the unknown Kadtath it is even better since locations are all there. There's also great investigators, fun ancient ones, and you can use the sideboard with any ancient one using a prelude card.

The mask expansion is definately not a good first expansion considering it is geared towards people with other expansions.


Thanks! I will consider getting the Dreamlands first then laugh
I had masks on the top of my list because i am really interested about Nyarlathotep in the Lovecraftian mythos plus i wanted those personal stories of the Investigators.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardslinger wrote:
xaxppzx1 wrote:
The mask expansion is definately not a good first expansion considering it is geared towards people with other expansions.


Thanks! I will consider getting the Dreamlands first then laugh
I had masks on the top of my list because i am really interested about Nyarlathotep in the Lovecraftian mythos plus i wanted those personal stories of the Investigators.

If you're interested in the personal stories, then you might want Masks before Dreamland. Yes, you end up with over half the personal stories not being usable until/unless you get other expansions. But you do get half that do work, and it's a mechanic that you won't find in other expansions. Which is unlike the Dreamlands: that one doesn't really have any mechanics that are significantly different from ones you find in any of the other expansions (the dream portals aren't really different enough to count). It really comes down to what you will find more important: the stories or the thematics of the Dreamlands.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitrios Seretakis
Greece
Karpenisi
Euritania
flag msg tools
Avatar
Xelto wrote:
Cardslinger wrote:
xaxppzx1 wrote:
The mask expansion is definately not a good first expansion considering it is geared towards people with other expansions.


Thanks! I will consider getting the Dreamlands first then laugh
I had masks on the top of my list because i am really interested about Nyarlathotep in the Lovecraftian mythos plus i wanted those personal stories of the Investigators.

If you're interested in the personal stories, then you might want Masks before Dreamland. Yes, you end up with over half the personal stories not being usable until/unless you get other expansions. But you do get half that do work, and it's a mechanic that you won't find in other expansions. Which is unlike the Dreamlands: that one doesn't really have any mechanics that are significantly different from ones you find in any of the other expansions (the dream portals aren't really different enough to count). It really comes down to what you will find more important: the stories or the thematics of the Dreamlands.


As EH is the most played game in my group i will definitely get both in the end. But i will make the decision of the order when i see the first reports on Masks and reviews of the overall package and investigators.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
salex724 wrote:
I highly suggest you look and read every article for this expansion closely, if you think it's not a disgrace that you have to use old preludes from past expansion to use in the campagin expansion, then you are the type of customer they love.

Seriously?

I don't know if I should be scratching my head over the HWFO about actually having to use stuff you got in the past again, or pointing out that I wasn't, when you get down to it, trying to defend the campaign.

What I was doing was a comparison between prior big box expansions and this one, on a component level. Let's see:

Prior expansions
2 ancient ones
8 investigators
sideboard
new location and encounter cards
new items, artifacts, spells
new conditions
new monsters
various tokens and stuff like that
possibly new rules and mechanics
Masks of the Narly Dude
2 ancient ones
7 investigators
personal stories
new location and encounter cards
new items, artifacts, spells
new conditions
new monsters
various tokens and stuff like that
resources, maybe other new rules
campaign rules













So if you compare the two, you're getting essentially everything that prior big-box expansions had. You get one less investigator. You get personal stories instead of a sideboard. And you get campaign rules, in addition to the rest of the stuff. Which, if you don't like, you can ignore, and you end up with the same amount of stuff that other big boxes came with.

If the reason you were getting this expansion was the campaign, and you don't like it, then yeah, don't buy this one. If you want the rest of the stuff but don't like the campaign rules, feel free to complain about them to your hearts content. But saying that everything in the box suxxx because you don't like one part of it is just empty HWFO.


It's going to depend on the quantity of each thing. Just saying new item cards is not sufficient. What if we only 1/2 compared to the previous big boxes? Dreamlands had a little less content than previous big boxes at a higher price...so there is precedent to suspect it might happen again (although Cities in Ruins was fine).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
It's going to depend on the quantity of each thing. Just saying new item cards is not sufficient. What if we only 1/2 compared to the previous big boxes?

True. Here's a more detailed list, according to other posters:

7 investigators

2 Ancient Ones
10 mystery cards
12 adventure cards
14 preludes

20 mythos cards
122 encounter cards

4 artifact cards
16 asset cards
4 spell cards
24 condition cards
28 unique asset cards

110 personal story cards

15 monsters
3 gates
miscellaneous eldritch, focus, resource, adventure, and mystic ruins tokens


I'm feeling too lazy to do a detailed comparison with prior expansions. Anyone else want to crunch numbers?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
4 artifacts and 16 assets is pretty standard. 4 spell cards is only one new spell. Way more preludes and above average unigue assets. Tough to say on encounter cards as I'm sure they are spread among various special encounters.

10 mystery cards seems weird.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitrios Seretakis
Greece
Karpenisi
Euritania
flag msg tools
Avatar
More preludes cause the campaign rules use the preludes as the engine and i think the cause of 10 mysteries is because Nyarlathotep needs 2 mysteries solved so i guess 4 for him and 6 for the other one?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamlands: 154x large cards 76x small cards 11x monsters
Masks of Nyarlathoptep: 187x large cards 186x small cards 15x monsters
Mountains of Madness: 206x large cards 114x small cards 22x monsters
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salex724 wrote:
Xelto wrote:
salex724 wrote:
You might want to hold off getting this expansion, everything I read, if you don't have the majority of the other expansion, it's not worth it at all


You get two Ancient Ones, seven investigators, personal stories, and the usual new encounters, conditions, and related stuff. It's not like there's nothing in the box but air and a campaign. The personal stories balance out any possible lack of a sideboard as far as the value-to-contents go.

(Having said that, I could not care less about personal stories. Didn't like them in Arkham, don't anticipate liking them here, and would rather have had a sideboard. But still, it's not like the box has nothing in it. And given how many people have asked for the personal stories over the years, I would really, really have to say that it was a good move to include them over another sideboard.)
I highly suggest you look and read every article for this expansion closely, if you think it's not a disgrace that you have to use old preludes from past expansion to use in the campagin expansion, then you are the type of customer they love.


This expansion comes with Preludes for the original game AOs, and the two new AOs in the expansion. You can run a campaign with nothing other than the base box and this expansion.

If you have more expansions, you can instead use the preludes from those AOs instead. Nothing in Masks requires you to have other expansions, but previous expansion content can integrate in with Masks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jivjov wrote:
Nothing in Masks requires you to have other expansions


Besides the 72 personal stories cards for the expansion investigators.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
jivjov wrote:
Nothing in Masks requires you to have other expansions


Besides the 72 personal stories cards for the expansion investigators.


There are also a few preludes which require various expansions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masks contains personal stories for the core set and itself too. The personal stories for the other expansions are there to integrate with the other expansions of you have them too. What's FFG supposed to dog only include personal stories (and preludes) for core and Masks, and just leave all the other investigators without them?

You can play with personal stories with JUST core and Masks; your investigators having personal stories does not require you to have other expansions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jivjov wrote:
Masks contains personal stories for the core set and itself too. The personal stories for the other expansions are there to integrate with the other expansions of you have them too. What's FFG supposed to dog only include personal stories (and preludes) for core and Masks, and just leave all the other investigators without them?

You can play with personal stories with JUST core and Masks; your investigators having personal stories does not require you to have other expansions.


Sure, but Sindriss is also correct - there are 72 small cards that will sit in the box unused unless or until you get other Expansions. That's not necessarily bad, but it deserves a mention when adding up the components and value.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.