Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
AFAIK the only time you use companion counters is to kill a random fellowship member for hunt damage, but since these guys are never part of the fellowship, why do these companion counters exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You put them under the Strider and Gandalf miniatures to denote their transformation.

I personally never use them, since no one forgets the extra FP die, and hence there is no confusion with regard to whether it is Strider or Aragorn / Grey or White in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think you might forget which version is on the board, you can put them under their minis. I doubt they are ever actually used...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that the real answer may be that if you get John Howe to do your art, you're not going to NOT put it on a token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After you got the expansion, there are miniatures for Gandalf the White and Aragorn. So the tokens are basically useless then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
mbmbmbmbmb
(Note that these 2 don't have the same backside as the other Companion counters, so they would not be used for drawing a random Companion)

I only used them in my first game.
When Gandalf or Aragorn moved to a different region, we constantly forgot to move the token along with them.
"What's this token and what is it doing on the board?"
So yeah, they are not necessary.
And if you have LoME, this becomes moot anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
After you got the expansion, there are miniatures for Gandalf the White and Aragorn. So the tokens are basically useless then.

And even before then.

I never use the Gollum figure either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
They make nice coasters for a LotR themed doll's house. Or maybe a model hobbit hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Anduin wrote:

And even before then. :D

I never use the Gollum figure either.

The Gollum figure being in the Fellowship box is handy as a reminder to the SP that only one eye dice can be selected for the hunt box. Glance over, see how many models are in there, max out eyes. We know the answer already but it uses slightly fewer braincells, which are needed elsewhere.

Also useful when using the Lords of Middle Earth expansion. Smeagol as guide prevents Gandalf from doing the event card thing, so the model is a handy visual reminder. My regular FP opponent moves the Gollum model around with the Frodo/Sam model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.