Subject: When to Shuffle Cards. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Molloy
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st play last night and I must say we had mixed feelings throughout the game but ended up really liking it.

At the beginning it was all about avoiding the monsters and looking at territory but after the first Hunt we felt the monsters were a little too easy once that strength was raised.

Not sure if anyone else felt this way but in the end it was between 3/4 people with one monument built and an other going for third monster, whilst final player was going for territory.

My question is about Monster cards. Both attack and Event.

When a Hunt is over do your shuffle the whole attack deck again?

When an Monster event is drawn for the first time does that card then get shuffled back in to event deck or placed at bottom?

Finally, and probably a bit of an unknown, does anyone know if the extra monsters in the game replace current ones or add to? I am concerned too many monsters makes Monster Slayer the logical choice.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awaken Realms
msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Monster Attack Cards get shuffled after each Hunt.

After drawing 7 Event Cards at the start of the game you place Quest Cards on Quest Track and then shuffle all drawn Monster Cards into the Events Deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lille
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
As far as I know the new monsters add to the game, I haven’t seen their cards so I don’t know how tough they would be?

Remember monsters are only usually deployed from the seven card draw at the start and at the end phase so there shouldn’t be loads of them on the board and you have to kill 3. I have only played 5 games so don’t claim to be an authority but no one in our games (all 4 player) has won this way. Although Heracles did come very close. Generally you can move the monsters out of the way or kill them yourself if necessary to stop the win and it is the one win condition that is very obvious you are going for!

And while a hero is off fighting monsters you can nick all his territory 🤞

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Molloy
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea we drew just 2 quest cards in the first 7 cards and 5 Monsters !

So someone got 2 pretty early on after a small St upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lille
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh right, yeah I can see how that might happen but I would say that is unusual lol the most we had was 4 and they were spread out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There are Some Who Call Me... Tim
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lille354 wrote:
I have only played 5 games so don’t claim to be an authority but no one in our games (all 4 player) has won this way.

Yeah, everyone keeps saying, "it looks like killing monsters is the easiest way to win!"

But... I have this same experience - no one has won that way in any of my games yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not easiest. It's just simplest.

In our games, there was up to 6 monsters at the start. Most often it's 4-5 (4 is minimum,you can get up to 3 Quests, so another 4 cards have to be Monsters).

EDIT: my calculation above is wrong - additional Quests still count during setup, while double Monster cards don't. So it's possible to start with 0 to 7 Monsters on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, I thought so too, but it always ended up being pretty close between the different victory conditions. each seems very valid thus far.

hunting monsters is straight forward, but it depends on luck whether they spawn and whether you are close enough to hunt them before your opponent does. also, if you see someone having 2 already, you should try to deny him the last one. so it will always be a challenge to get 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lille
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am not 100% sure that is right. If you draw more than 3 Quests then the extra are just discarded but you don't draw another card. If you draw a duplicate monster you redraw, I don't have the rules in front of me so I could possibly be wrong about that but I think it is right. So technically if you draw 7 quests you start with no monsters on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Molloy
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lille354 wrote:
I am not 100% sure that is right. If you draw more than 3 Quests then the extra are just discarded but you don't draw another card. If you draw a duplicate monster you redraw, I don't have the rules in front of me so I could possibly be wrong about that but I think it is right. So technically if you draw 7 quests you start with no monsters on the board.

That is correct.

In theory you could have no monsters if 7 quests are drawn. You ignore the rest.

I presume they then get shuffled back in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lille
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yeah they do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Misztal
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lille354 wrote:

I had to check it again, you are right. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.