Subject: Custom Cards: Young Justice Expansion! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all, Terry Tibke here again. So I've had this sitting around quite a while, awaiting some further playtesting. I worked on it with another fellow remotely who started off wanting to do a Blue Beetle set, but then expanded to include more Young Justice members ultimately. Now I've not heard from him in some time. Should be fine to share now, regardless.

Expansion Focus
The expansion sized set is 52 cards (fits in one artscow box), and based around a new mechanic called "Legacy". This expansion should work fine with any base set as it has no particular synergy with any of them.

Playtesting
I believe the set has had only a handful of playtest sessions so far, but I've applied a few updates to the initial draft of the set in that time. I haven't even tested it myself. I’m fairly certain there’s plenty of modifications still to be made though, and I’d love for all of you to try it out and give your feedback.

Legacy Cards
The main mechanic in this set is called Legacy (I didn't name it). Which reads: Once per turn, you may play a card with Legacy from your discard pile for it's Legacy ability, then put it under your Super Hero (its effects remain).

Line-Up Attack Cards
I've messed with both Line-Up Ongoing and Line-Up Attack cards now. These Line-Up Attacks are essentially a First Appearance Attack on a card as it enters the Line Up. They typically affect all players as they hit the Line-Up.

New Starting Heroes
We went with the typical 7 starting Super Heroes. The final call was on my collaborator, but I think he made some good choices. Plenty of room for further testing on these though. Red Devil was the one I think the playtest group were messing with the most during the last playtest session many months ago.

Today's Preview!

Blue Beetle
Jamie Reyes always gets a boosted level of power when using Legacy cards, and when he's able to rely on his team's top deck as well.

Arsenal
Roy Harper builds up his quiver of arrows (cards) under himself, and then becomes a proper deck filtering machine, destroying unwanted cards.

Impulse
Bart Allen, super speed force empowered speedster is a card drawing monster.

Lagoon Boy
Lag'aan has such a cool design in the Young Justice TV series (woo for Season 3 late this year), but I did my best w/ this art. His ability is to "scry" his deck to pick the best cards and as his team does better, he does better.

Miss Martian
Meg'an will read the minds in X-Ray Vision style, sort of. This allows her to benefit from other player's top cards if she chooses the right type. There are a few cards that allow you to manipulate this as well.

Red Devil
He continues to benefit based on keeping punches and kicks coming up.

Terra
Terra benefits from continued dumping of her Legacy cards into her discard pile--until she's ready to go off with one, of course.

Traci 13
Traci 13, the enimatic magic user, is able to manipulate the Line-Up and allow herself to buy her prime choice of cards.

I'll slowly post other parts of the set in chunks as I'm able. Leave any feedback. I'd be happy to hear it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Jordan
msg tools
This should be awesome! Thank you for sharing this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Today's Preview!

Here are a chunk of the Hero cards, several of them showcasing the Legacy mechanic.

Donna Troy

Khaji Kai

Peacemaker

Red Tornado, Android Mentor

Secret

Spoiler

Ted Kord

The Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Today's Preview!

Here are a chunk of Equipment cards for the set. There are still a few unfinished ones to use to plug gameplay holes in the set after some playtesting, but these are pretty solid and have the right synergy with the Super Heroes in the set.

Diagnostic Tech

Donna Troy's Blade & Buckler

Firepower Upgrade

Khaji Da

Red Devil's Trident

Staff of Arion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far so good. Some of the Super-Heroes still look questionably useful, but I'm going to chalk that up to the limited number of cards seen for now.

Had concerns with "2nd turn Legacy card overpowered snowball", but so far everything looks kosher.

One probable correction though:
T_Tibke wrote:

Khaji Da

I think the "Legacy Yellow" is a line farther down than it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
So far so good. Some of the Super-Heroes still look questionably useful, but I'm going to chalk that up to the limited number of cards seen for now.

Had concerns with "2nd turn Legacy card overpowered snowball", but so far everything looks kosher.

One probable correction though:
T_Tibke wrote:

Khaji Da

I think the "Legacy Yellow" is a line farther down than it should be.

2nd Turn Legacy Snowball. Yeah, so far it hasn't come up in that way, but I'll keep an eye on that. Good point.

And you're right. I have the yellow too far down. Good eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that immediately stood out to me: there's only one T in Diagnostic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Beetle: Seems very dependant on getting the right cards, but could be handy.

Arsenal: I hope there are effects coming that put Starters under you, otherwise this seems quite bad.

Impulse: That is very cool. I really like the way that it suggests acceleration.

Lagoon Boy: Very interesting that this will see almost all its use on other people's turns.

Miss Martian: Seems like this could all too easily just do nothing.

Red Devil: So far, this seems to only matter if someone else uses the trident on you. I hope there's more support for it.

Terra: That looks cool.

Traci 13: A guaranteed +1 Power is very appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Arsenal: I hope there are effects coming that put Starters under you, otherwise this seems quite bad.

The Ray...Diagnostic Tech...

Worst case get 2 cards under there and let them sit. There are worse abilities than a flat +2 Power every turn.
Jlerpy wrote:
Red Devil: So far, this seems to only matter if someone else uses the trident on you. I hope there's more support for it.

The Trident says "each player", so you can use it on yourself. Spoiler works too. Peacemaker as well (although you have to make sure everyone knows which one is 'top').

On second look, Red Devil may lead to timing problems with some cards. The default is 'after' an ability, but it's worded as if it triggers 'during' which causes questions if not outright problems. Dig around for "Jay Garrick" from Crossover 1, he has a 'during' trigger and its interactions are messy at times.
I'll try to think up alternate wording that might work better...or a similar-enough effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

The Ray...Diagnostic Tech...

Worst case get 2 cards under there and let them sit. There are worse abilities than a flat +2 Power every turn.
Jlerpy wrote:

The Trident says "each player", so you can use it on yourself. Spoiler works too. Peacemaker as well (although you have to make sure everyone knows which one is 'top').

Somehow, I totally blanked on these. Which is extra-weird, given how I already commented on the typo in Diagnostic Tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
... On second look, Red Devil may lead to timing problems with some cards. The default is 'after' an ability, but it's worded as if it triggers 'during' which causes questions if not outright problems. Dig around for "Jay Garrick" from Crossover 1, he has a 'during' trigger and its interactions are messy at times.
I'll try to think up alternate wording that might work better...or a similar-enough effect.

Jay Garrick reads: When a card tells you to draw one or more cards, before drawing, reveal the top card of your deck and you may discard it.

Red Devil reads: During your turn, each time you reveal a Starter or Kick on top of your deck, +2 Power and discard a card under Red Devil. If you do, put the Starter or Kick under Red Devil.

Sure, there's probably a more refined wording we can use. I haven't playtested it a lot, so you could be right about the "during" type action. I'll theorycraft the fact that Red Devil puts the card under himself moves it away from tricky deck interactions, so I think it's okay. Open to any thoughts, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Today's Preview!
Thank you all for the feedback. Typos and format errors fixed in the jpg's above. I've got a subset (I got tired of using the word chunk) of Super Powers for you today. Enjoy analyzing the interactions!

Aquamancy

Devilish Agility

Energy Bolt

Hex

Tectonic Storm

Telepathy

Transbiotic Rejuvination
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, I dig the attack from Tectonic Storm, that's sneaky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telepathy seems like it should be an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is Transbiotic Rejuvenation cheaper than a Kick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex is a Reveal>Defend for only 2 cost?
WAY too good. Was it supposed to be a standard Discard>Defend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
Hex is a Reveal>Defend for only 2 cost?
WAY too good. Was it supposed to be a standard Discard>Defend?

Let's say yes, it should have been. I didn't recall this being so obviously OP. Fixing and updating to a discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Ooh, I dig the attack from Tectonic Storm, that's sneaky.

Thanks. So is Terra. Seemed fitting to have either ability be good or bad, from a certain point of view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Why is Transbiotic Rejuvenation cheaper than a Kick?

Hmm. I figured because it was eliminating any of your playable Legacy cards until they reached your discard pile again, it would be okay. However, if you don't care about Legacy cards (or just dropped some really good buys into your discard pile), then it's pretty OP.

I think 3 cost seems okay though. I'll up it to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:

It could be. I think I'd drop the cost if it was though. This way it's an undefendable attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T_Tibke wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

It could be. I think I'd drop the cost if it was though. This way it's an undefendable attack.

As far as Attacks go, it would likely be kinda 'meh' anyway. It doesn't disrupt their next turn near as much as "discard a card", and it doesn't have a more permanent effect like "Gain Weakness".
The cost (6 is quite high for only +2 Power) also justifies it being a 'non-attack attack'. So dropping the cost if it was is solid.

I'd say for the effect it is perfectly fine not being an Attack, but if you get to the end and 'set balance' needs more Attacks, then it's first in line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Today's Preview!
Time for some proper Villains. I have quite a few blanks in this section still, but here are the small sampling I have, along with the initial list of what I expect to do. If anyone has a burning idea for any Villain card rules that fit this set, feel free to suggest.

Livewire

OMAC Unit

Parasite

T.O. Morrow

Cheshire

Other Villains
Bone-Crusher
Coyote
Warp
Harm
Khaji-Vax

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does OMAC Unit specify a 0 cost card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Today's Preview!
Here are the 4 Locations for the set!

Hall of Justice

Kord Industries

Mount Justice

The Bleed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Tibke
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Why does OMAC Unit specify a 0 cost card?

Cuz it got revised like 20 times alright!

I'll fix. No good reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.