Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
- 3 sets of bonus cards (character, collector and something...)
- advanced duels
- northern territory
- core game

I'm mighty confused, to say the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
- 3 sets of bonus cards (character, collector and something...)
- advanced duels
- northern territory
- core game

I'm mighty confused, to say the least.

What exactly are you looking for help with?

What's needed and not needed if you combine it all together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess? There’s little information as to what can be combined with what and how do I go about it. I’d like the contents of advanced duels to be mixed with the full game. Is there any leftover from that? Am I missing something by going that route? Can cards from NT and core be freely mixed? Also, a lot of signals saying that core is, in a way, superseded by NT, which makes me question the relevance for its content. And so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so, basically, you can just combine everything together.

The only overlap is that you'll have two of some of the signature spells, and that's not really a problem unless you don't want duplicates when selecting signatures for a duel.

You do not need the map from the core game, or the rulebook (but don't throw 'em out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the northen territory rule booklet it also says that you wont need the archetype cards or the level tracker cards from the core because they are not compatible with Northern Territory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Posse91 wrote:
In the northen territory rule booklet it also says that you wont need the archetype cards or the level tracker cards from the core because they are not compatible with Northern Territory

Right, my bad. Things you don't need to use from core:

Archetypes

Level Trackers

Creature HP / EP spinner cards (ones without the numbers).

3rd edition rulebook

Valley of Death Map

The d6 (white one)

The meeple (use the metal token from the KS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you got the collectors box watch out. The dividers have some typos on the cards they list. Looks like names of a few cards changed at some point but how they are listed on the dividers didn’t get updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:

You do not need the map from the core game, or the rulebook (but don't throw 'em out).

Why not (the map)? Isn't the first campaign relying on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Posse91 wrote:
(...) because they are not compatible with Northern Territory

What does that mean? Not compatible? Are you saying that new rules, in the 4th rulebook, just no longer use these cards?

It *is* terribly confusing. Mostly because people keep saying "it's not compatible with NT", which just sounds crazy. How can something from the core game not be compatible with an expansion? Should I just read it not as "compatible with NT", but rather "compatible with the 4th revision of the game" (that happens to be in NT box)?

Am I getting this right? Is NT basically a new incarnation of the game, essentially making the core game obsolete, but to avoid that, just reusing some cards out of it, so that you have more variety but under completely new rules?

I guess that what's hard for me to understand is that why the core game, delivered as part of the recent campaign has printed old rulebook and contains cards that aren't valid under new rules. It doesn't make any sense to me - knowing that there is a new incarnation of the game, who wanted to buy the old game? What for? Stephen says - don't throw out the 3rd edition rulebook. Why? What good it is for, if I have the NT one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
Posse91 wrote:

Archetypes

Level Trackers

3rd edition rulebook

Valley of Death Map

The d6 (white one)

Does this apply if I’m looking to start with the core game Tall Tale or should I only combine the 2 sets when playing NT?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Advance Duels out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why not (the map)? Isn't the first campaign relying on it?

In the Northern Territory area guide there is a section that covers the first campaign which makes the map obsolete. Sorry. I dont know how to make the quote box thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What does that mean? Not compatible? Are you saying that new rules, in the 4th rulebook, just no longer use these cards?

The archetype cards are basically replaced with the skill cards and the level trackers are replaced with the progress tracker. Still dont know how to do quote boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Posse91 wrote:

The archetype cards are basically replaced with the skill cards and the level trackers are replaced with the progress tracker. Still dont know how to do quote boxes.

Haha, there is a "quick reply" button beneath each post, you can use that to quote the post you're replying to automatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Is Advance Duels out?

Out in what sense? Everything hits retail March 7th. Otherwise, kickstarter folks who pledged for it are getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
Posse91 wrote:

Haha, there is a "quick reply" button beneath each post, you can use that to quote the post you're replying to automatically.

Hey! Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
ssgibson wrote:
Posse91 wrote:

Archetypes

Level Trackers

3rd edition rulebook

Valley of Death Map

The d6 (white one)

Does this apply if I’m looking to start with the core game Tall Tale or should I only combine the 2 sets when playing NT?

You can combine the two from the get-go.

The core game's campaign was designed without the xpac existing of course. Your potential for power is much greater in the xpac's leveling system, especially with skills being added in and legendaries. So some of the difficulty of the core game may be lessened because of that (but it depends on how powered up you are for each boss fight).

The 4th edition rulebook goes over some other differences to take note of for events and core game campaign. Mainly, "levels" are referenced on a few cards, just ignore that. The achievement sheet compensates for it.

Map "nodes" refer to the old valley of death map, and are now called area "tiles" or map "tiles". So if the campaign booklet says, "resolve an attack node", the equivalent in the 4th edition map system would be "resolve an attack area tile" (which is any ace).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
steftymo wrote:
ssgibson wrote:
Posse91 wrote:

Archetypes

Level Trackers

3rd edition rulebook

Valley of Death Map

The d6 (white one)

You can combine the two from the get-go.

The 4th edition rulebook goes over some other differences to take note of for events and core game campaign. Mainly, "levels" are referenced on a few cards, just ignore that. The achievement sheet compensates for it.

So, are ALL the new Event cards compatible with the Valley of Death and likewise, ALL the old Event cards compatible with Child of Light ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
All event cards are compatible with the new expansion. When you set up each area it details the cards to use for that area (including which events go into the event deck).

Some of the old cards give you levels, just ignore that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
All event cards are compatible with the new expansion. When you set up each area it details the cards to use for that area (including which events go into the event deck).

Some of the old cards give you levels, just ignore that.

Thanks Stephen, I can't wait to get started on this campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:

(...)

What is that? I see two cards for HP/EP tracking for creatures in the core. But they do have numbers. Is that something that was in 1st or 2nd edition? I couldn't find the rulebook for first edition anywhere.

Also, 4th edition rulebook says: "Note that any Grimslinger from the core game not mentioned here should not be used". Does it mean for Tall Tales, or for Duels, too? Does that mean only 6 characters total are playable (4 from NT + Red and Henrietta from "something something" pack), because only them have skills? What about the other 6 from the core or Lord Briar and Icarus from another "something something" pack? They all don't have their skills.

Was there a reason these characters didn't get their own dividers? Both Red and Henrietta are squished into "Grimslinger, General", even though they seem to be equal Grimslingers, with their tracking cards and skills.

Also, why the back of Henrietta's skill cards says Witchcraft, rather than character's name, like it's the case for all other characters with skills? Does that refer to the previous question, meaning, her cards can be used with all the other Grimslingers (hence generic name and symbol)?

What are the retro characters from "something something" pack used for? They seem to be just pieces of artwork on a card, without an actual appliance in the game (as they don't even have the bottom arrows for tracking) - is that correct?

What are exactly GS02 - GS05 products? GS01 is the core, GS06 seems to be Northern Territory, GS07 - Advanced Duels, 8, 9, and 10 are "something something" packs. The dividers mention GS02/3/4/5 them and it seems that I don't have the cards from these products. Should I have them for completeness or are they obsolete at this point? I understand that the "Collector's Box" in item list on a divider is just a confusing joke?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin
msg tools
Did the publisher fuck up the game here? It sounds like a mess that I should sell instead of unbox. How bad is it really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Inconmon wrote:
Did the publisher fuck up the game here? It sounds like a mess that I should sell instead of unbox. How bad is it really?

The game was not properly edited/reviewed. That is just a fact at this point.

The gameplay is there though, and I suspect you bought the game for a reason. That reason is probably still something the game will deliver on if you can get past the hiccups.

Best I can do as the designer at this point, is releasing video tutorials for the game. Which I'm working on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang. So much nit picking with how the game was packaged. You'd think all these people haven’t attempted to organize any of the legendary games. At least there are no blank cards.

It’s a great game & worth the minor annoyance of organizing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
ssgibson wrote:

(...)

What is that? I see two cards for HP/EP tracking for creatures in the core. But they do have numbers. Is that something that was in 1st or 2nd edition? I couldn't find the rulebook for first edition anywhere.

Also, 4th edition rulebook says: "Note that any Grimslinger from the core game not mentioned here should not be used". Does it mean for Tall Tales, or for Duels, too? Does that mean only 6 characters total are playable (4 from NT + Red and Henrietta from "something something" pack), because only them have skills? What about the other 6 from the core or Lord Briar and Icarus from another "something something" pack? They all don't have their skills.

Was there a reason these characters didn't get their own dividers? Both Red and Henrietta are squished into "Grimslinger, General", even though they seem to be equal Grimslingers, with their tracking cards and skills.

Also, why the back of Henrietta's skill cards says Witchcraft, rather than character's name, like it's the case for all other characters with skills? Does that refer to the previous question, meaning, her cards can be used with all the other Grimslingers (hence generic name and symbol)?

What are the retro characters from "something something" pack used for? They seem to be just pieces of artwork on a card, without an actual appliance in the game (as they don't even have the bottom arrows for tracking) - is that correct?

What are exactly GS02 - GS05 products? GS01 is the core, GS06 seems to be Northern Territory, GS07 - Advanced Duels, 8, 9, and 10 are "something something" packs. The dividers mention GS02/3/4/5 them and it seems that I don't have the cards from these products. Should I have them for completeness or are they obsolete at this point? I understand that the "Collector's Box" in item list on a divider is just a confusing joke?

1. I had a brain fart. The ones with the numbers ARE the creature hp/ep trackers.

2. The rulebook is written for retail, not for those who have kickstarter exclusives. So any Grimslingers not mentioned in the rulebook should not be used. However, if you have the red and henrietta pack, Henrietta's Witchcraft skills can be used with any Grimslinger that doesn't have their own specific set of skills. The last KS update goes over this (there should have been something that came with the pack of cards though that explained all this). https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/grimslingers-the-no...

3. As per why Henrietta's skill cards say witchcraft, refer to point 2's link. But the short answer is yes, her skills can be used with other Grimslingers who don't have their own set.

4. Retro characters aren't used for anything. They were just a collector's item. You could use them as portraits for the core game duels.

5. I'm not familiar with the codes and wording on the dividers, I didn't do that - they seem more confusing than helpful at this point. The "collector's box" in the item list is from the original collector's card pack, which had an item called "Collector's Box", which was a card the kickstarter backers suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.