7 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: New player has a few questions about rules and strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I have just played the game twice and have a few questions about rules that I'm hoping someone can help with. We have played with the original FF standard deck.

1. Is it possible to play ICE before you have actually played an asset/upgrade/agenda in the remote server?

2. The Nisei Mk 2 card, when scored by the corp, has a token placed on it to end a run. Can this be played any time, even after the Runner has passed numerous pieces of ICE?

3. Can you play an Upgrade as the first card on a remote server or do you need an asset/agenda first?

4. If the Personal Touch is used to boost an icebreaker when passing the 1st piece of ICE, can it be redeployed to a different icrebreaker when passing the second piece of ICE?

5. The Toolbox gives 2 tokens, can these 2 be used per run or per turn?

6. When a runner indicates they want to perform a run on a server, if the first piece of ICE is then rezzed, do they have to go ahead with the run or can they still bailout?

7. When the Chum ICE is encountered does the runner still need to match the strength of the ICE even if they don't intend to crack the only subroutine?

And also a question about strategy:

1. In an online tutorial a player trashed an Agenda card into Archives. This was described as a clever tactic as it isn't somewhere the runner would normally look. My question is why, from a tactical point of view, would the Corp player ever want to do that if they couldn't score it?

2. My general view is that it's hard playing as the Corp (though maybe I'm biased as I've lost both games!) after about 10 rounds the runner seems to be loaded with tools and once they have Crypsis and Toolbox installed they seemed to be able to overcome anything. Are there any tips for playing as the Corp?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules

1. Yup!

2. It can be played at any time there is a "paid ability" window. Refer to the timing chart at the back of the book. This includes right before the runner is about to be able to access cards after passing all ICE.

3. You can create a remote server by installing any card you want.

4. Personal Touch is hardware and must be installed prior to the run starting. It is "permanently" attached to whichever icebreaker you install it on, and cannot be moved to a different icebreaker without some special effect (no such effect exists in the Core set as far as I remember). It adds 1 to the strength of the icebreaker it is hosted on for as long as it is installed.

5. The Toolbox has two 'recurring credits'. Those are credits that are refreshed at the start of each of the runner's turns and can be used only for paying for icebreaker abilities.

6. The 'outermost' piece of ice must be passed before the runner can jack out, whether it is rezzed or not. So in your example, the runner must deal with the ice (either break its subroutines or let them happen) before they can jack out.

7. A couple of things here. First, the runner does not have a strength, only ICE and icebreakers have strength. If the runner does not want to (or cannot) break the subroutines on ICE they are never forced to try. So if they choose not to use an icebreaker on Chum, then the subroutine will fire and the runner will be subject to its effect. Note that this will not end the run, the runner can continue and approach / encounter the next ICE or access cards in the server. Only "End the run" subroutines force the runner to stop.

Strats

1. Well, like you said. If the runner doesn't run Archives, then the agenda is "safe" there. The Corp knows where it is, and the runner won't steal it. True, the corp also can't score it in archives but maybe they were not going to be able to install and score it anyway. Also, there are many cards in the game that allow the corp to recover cards in archives and put them back in HQ or R&D. That being said, it would be unusual for the corp to purposefully put agendas into archives for extended periods simply because the runner will most likely run archives at /some/ point to check.

2. The best corp strategies revolve around making the runner have very difficult decisions with limited information. The key is making sure you are installing and making threats when the runner is unable to respond to everything. This is obviously easier in the early game before the runner has their full rig installed. The general consensus is that the early game favours the runner since the corp hasn't had time to establish defences. Then the mid game favours the corp - once they do have a layer of defence installed, now the runner needs to find a way to acquire and install all of their tools to meet them. The late game usually swings back into the runner as you've noticed. So the key to corp is getting to a middle game state and staying there as long as possible. Try to wear down the runner's economy by tricking him into running worthless junk remotes (traps like Snare! help here too). Rush out agendas behind minimal defence just to force the runner to spend money, then rush more out while he's broke.

Also, you'll find that after a while Crypsis is really not a good breaker to rely on. For example, Crypsis vs Wall of Static is a terrible waste of time and money for the runner - you have to spend a click for a virus counter (or lose Crypsis), as well as 4 credits just to break the end the run routine. That, and crypsis is 5 credits to install. Compare that to, say, Corroder which is 2 credits to install and only 2 to break wall of static.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks very much. That all makes sense and is very useful info.

One other question that popped into my head: what happens to activation tokens on cards that are either scored, stolen or trashed? I assume they get discarded but just want to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Hein
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you mean 'Advancement Tokens?' Yes, they are discarded. In general, anything on a card is discarded when it is trashed, stolen, etc. Note that this does not apply to derezzing -- a derezzed card generally keeps whatever tokens is on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes, sorry, I did mean advancement tokens. Thanks for confirming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason M
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing Netrunner for years, I love it, but I have just happened to learn through your comment that I have never actually played it correctly. Thank god I was bored at work and decided to browse this forum tonight. I somehow long-ago interpreted encountering ICE as: if you don't have an Icebreaker at least as strong as the ICE, you suffer the subroutines and then the run ends.

As in, if you aren't strong enough to actually beat the ICE strength, you can't ever pass it. There have been times where I've chosen not to break an inconsequential subroutine, but I've wasted so many credits increasing the strength of an Icebreaker just to meet the ICE regardless of subroutines.

I feel like a complete idiot, but now I am invigorated with knowledge. I'm currently the Runner in a TD campaign about to have game 2 in a couple days. It wouldn't have helped in game 1 when the Corp put a Tollbooth on his R&D and basically removed his entire deck from my strategy, but you have doubtless saved me much frustration going forward. I thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
For years?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.