Subject: Who else is hoping for miniatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see miniatures for the workers. Unlike a lot of games, there just is not good alternatives out there for it for people who want them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just goes to show that everyone's taste is different... I actually like the wooden discs with the printed art on them. A bit more elegant than miniatures, which are becoming way too common nowadays.

Now OTOH, if the discs didn't have the icons printed on them, then I might feel differently, as plain wooden discs are also too common and have zero elegance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Just goes to show that everyone's taste is different... I actually like the wooden discs with the printed art on them. A bit more elegant than miniatures, which are becoming way too common nowadays.

Now OTOH, if the discs didn't have the icons printed on them, then I might feel differently, as plain wooden discs are also too common and have zero elegance.

Don't get me wrong. I think the pieces in the game now are really nice and work great. But in the last year I've become a painter. And they have started pumping out awesome miniatures in their other games. I would just love to have the option for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, maybe it's because of the flood of miniatures in boardgames these last few years... which has resulted in hundreds of minis in my painting queue ... which will take me years to get through ... is why I now cringe at the thought of buying yet another game with unpainted minis!

Now if they're already painted... instant buy! Don't get me wrong... I enjoy painting minis, but there's only so many hours in a day, for Pete's sake! Game publishers seem to be ignoring this bit of reality!

This is also why I find myself suddenly appreciating stand-ups (printed with colorful artwork ala Dead of Winter) over unpainted, colorless minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh... Please, no miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
Denmark
Danmark
flag msg tools
That's right. I've got overtext, b****!©
badge
What did I just say?
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, no.

I think the wooden discs fit the theme really well.
If I where to replace them, I would prefer some wooden "character pawns". Kinda like the magician meeples from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
Please no minis.

They are too common any more.

I don’t think it adds to the table presence. I mean it already is stunning!!

And it doesn’t really fit the theme in my view.

This is another “nope” for these minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electricalstorm wrote:
Please no minis.

Wood bits are not common?

If you are a painter, they'll look and fit in great. Again, I'm not saying it's ugly now or something. It's beautiful. They make minis now. I see no reason why they wouldn't offer them to people who want them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D
msg tools
Actually I am a bit of a painter too. And a fan of Mindclash fanatic

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27247698#27247698

So... yeah no minis please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I wouldn't mind some object that feels good in the hand and fun to move. Probably doesn't have to go full-mini though.
Like the magician pieces or thicker plastic discs like in First Martians. Even better would be the pillar-like pieces in Istanbul (wood) or Empires of the Void (plastic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Fodskammel wrote:
Actually, no.

I think the wooden discs fit the theme really well.
If I where to replace them, I would prefer some wooden "character pawns". Kinda like the magician meeples from the game.

It's a shame they didn't look quite like that in the final game. As well as the shape suggesting a magician in a cape, which I liked, they might not have been knocked over so easily.

No minis for me either, please. I like the traditional look of board games with wooden pieces. If a game is designed from the outset around the aesthetic of sculpted miniatures, fair enough, but this one wasn't and I think it would detract from its distinctive visual style if they were added. I'm not a painter (used to be good at it when I was young, but no time for it in my old age), and I don't think games with piles of grey miniatures look as nice on the table as colourful wooden bits. Poorly painted miniatures look even worse, so I think it's an imposition by publishers to expect players to have talent in this area. Each to their own if you like games that have them, but please don't add them in expansions to games I love without them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I would love to see miniatures for the workers. Unlike a lot of games, there just is not good alternatives out there for it for people who want them.

I'm always a sucker for something pretty looking. But I'm out of box space already!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Moose Malloy wrote:
and I don't think games with piles of grey miniatures look as nice on the table as colourful wooden bits.

A few years ago, when those grey minis were new and the exception, I might've disagreed with this comment. But now that they're ubiquitous and the norm, they (unpainted minis) have lost their appeal in a major way.

That's why I'm excited whenever I see a game with painted minis. But this isn't one of those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kean

Surprise
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally I don’t see value in minis outside of combat oriented games. It’s all personal taste of course but minis I would find would actually take some of the elegance away from a euro like this.

I don’t mind them as an option mind you, but I’d prefer time spent on content over plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giampaolo Brunetti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
electricalstorm wrote:
Please no minis.

I agree, the game does not need miniatures, it would be against the style of the gameboard and the game itself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malabestia79 wrote:
electricalstorm wrote:
Please no minis.

I agree, the game does not need miniatures, it would be against the style of the gameboard and the game itself

How is miniatures against a style of game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter De Carvalho
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Miniatures give me wood

Miniatures, give me wood!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
Denmark
Danmark
flag msg tools
That's right. I've got overtext, b****!©
badge
What did I just say?
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Malabestia79 wrote:
... it would be against the style of the gameboard and the game itself

I believe that he is referring to the aesthetics of the game. Please keep in mind that not all of bgg users have English as their first language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giampaolo Brunetti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fodskammel wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:
Malabestia79 wrote:
... it would be against the style of the gameboard and the game itself

I believe that he is referring to the aesthetics of the game. Please keep in mind that not all of bgg users have English as their first language.

yes, that's exactly what I wanted to say, miniatures would go against the general aesthetic of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Ew, 100% hope not. Completely needless thing that would overall just add to the production costs. Trickerion already has bling with its metal coins. If you really want minis, Maya and 3D Printing is a thing, or there's plenty of Victorian-style substitutes out there that'll do the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in the slightest (sorry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
C3Gaming wrote:
Ew, 100% hope not. Completely needless thing that would overall just add to the production costs. Trickerion already has bling with its metal coins. If you really want minis, Maya and 3D Printing is a thing, or there's plenty of Victorian-style substitutes out there that'll do the trick.

I don't think those coins are very easy to find... and that's not really a 1:1 comparison.
Also, you may not like the idea, but it's not "completely useless" if others find that they would be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Brandizzle wrote:
I don't think those coins are very easy to find... and that's not really a 1:1 comparison.

Then prime candidate for being available in the reprint KS, no?

Quote:
Also, you may not like the idea, but it's not "completely useless" if others find that they would be useful.

You can like something and still have it be useless. Like racing stripes or politicians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Brandizzle wrote:

Then prime candidate for being available in the reprint KS, no?

Quote:

You can like something and still have it be useless. Like racing stripes or politicians.

Don't be silly. No-one likes politicians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Black
msg tools
Wooden discs are the worst! I'd much prefer miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.