Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There is a rule that says that once a scenario has been completed in campaign mode, it cannot be undertaken again in campaign mode by any other party. Since there is only one mission (Black Barrow) available at the beginning of a campaign, this would seem to mean that only one given party can ever play a campaign with any given copy of the game. Am I interpretting this correctly?? Is any other party just limited to casual mode play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, the campaign/global achievement system is the one part of Gloomhaven that really doesn’t work for me. If I ever decide to start another party (without resetting the entire game), I don’t plan on restricting myself in any way based on what my previous party did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can run two separate campaigns from the same box. you just have to do some extra paperwork to track what is available for each different campaign, and it means keeping track of what is in each deck (for example, the road event and city event decks) and rebuilding the decks each time you switch between campaigns.

The only aspect that is particularly difficult to deal with is ability enchancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
There is a rule that says that once a scenario has been completed in campaign mode, it cannot be undertaken again in campaign mode by any other party. Since there is only one mission (Black Barrow) available at the beginning of a campaign, this would seem to mean that only one given party can ever play a campaign with any given copy of the game. Am I interpretting this correctly?? Is any other party just limited to casual mode play?

RAW, more parties can play campaign mode, they just wouldn't start at the beginning. They can play any revealed scenario that they meet the requirements for and that hasn't been completed already. In general, this means any start of a quest chain that isn't locked out by global achievements and any continuing scenario in a quest chain they have earned the party achievement for earlier.

As others above have said, it's fairly easy to run two simultaneous campaigns or to run a second campaign after finishing the first, using some of the apps out there to track progress. I recommend this one: https://ninjalooter.de/gloomhaven/scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:

Other parties can still play, they just don't start the campaign from the beginning. Soon a bunch of quests will be unlocked, and a second party can go do those quests so long as they don't have a specific requirement, and many don't.

The intention is that multiple parties are running around in the same 'campaign', not running their own parallel worlds. Don't get too hang up on it, though. The campaign system is really just a way of spooling out the game content in an approachable way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nielson Jugalbot
Canada
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

RAW, more parties can play campaign mode, they just wouldn't start at the beginning. They can play any revealed scenario that they meet the requirements for and that hasn't been completed already. In general, this means any start of a quest chain that isn't locked out by global achievements and any continuing scenario in a quest chain they have earned the party achievement for earlier.

As others above have said, it's fairly easy to run two simultaneous campaigns or to run a second campaign after finishing the first, using some of the apps out there to track progress. I recommend this one: https://ninjalooter.de/gloomhaven/scenarios

I just ran my first scenario solo and my daughter's wanted to learn the game as well. Im glad you posted that website to track multiple adventures/parties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for 1 party i use the map and removable stickers.
and for the other party only me and 1 other who is also in the other party
we use the inside of the Cover from the removable stickers and put marks on what location we did unlock.
On the party sheet, we write down all locations we unlocked and City and Road cards we draw
On the character sheets, we write down our personal goal card number and other things
Also, we put back all 4 attack decks in the box so that other characters can use them and put in there upgrades/ remove cards.
It is a bit more work but it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

This seems to be missing a tracker for party achievements. Am I just not finding it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

Other parties can still play, they just don't start the campaign from the beginning. Soon a bunch of quests will be unlocked, and a second party can go do those quests so long as they don't have a specific requirement, and many don't.

The intention is that multiple parties are running around in the same 'campaign', not running their own parallel worlds. Don't get too hang up on it, though. The campaign system is really just a way of spooling out the game content in an approachable way.

I see. So it's not ever possible for a new party not to have an available scenario to play in campaign mode? Since the only option at the beginning of a campaign is Black Barrow, this would imply that a requirement-free scenario will always be unlocked by a party that completes Black Barrow in campaign mode. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, if one party completes The Black Barrow, doesn't grab the treasure chest, and then stops, there will be no available scenarios for another party to play. After Black Barrow, the only scenario that opens up is Barrow Lair, and it requires the First Steps party achievement (which a party gets from completing Black Barrow).

Even in that case, what the second party could do is play Black Barrow in Casual Mode, and grab the chest to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
unlock a random side scenario.

I would imagine that mathematically, it would be possible to eventually lock other parties out later on down the quest lines too, but I don't think it's common. You'd have to be trying to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin De Schutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There’s a thread regarding New Game Plus regarding multiple campaign runs in the Variants section. You should check it out, it’s a very interesting idea, although it is a different thing than running different campaigns at once...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.