Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikey Moo
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I decided to do this write up was because the deluxe kickstarter versions of both these games looks amazing but sadly I can only afford one. Which to get? And since I assume there are a number of other people also struggling with the same decision at the moment, I decided to flush out the pros and cons list I initially came up with in hopes it may help some others with their decisions. I’m also hoping some people may be interested in correcting me if I’m mistaken on any points to ensure I’ve made the right decision.

So to clarify, I am comparing the Deluxified version of Gentes with the Commodore level version of Endeavor: Age of Sail.

Component Quality

TMG always really seems to go all out when they deluxify a game. The amount of upgraded components is amazing! So far, Endeavor has added a lot in terms of upgraded components through stretch goals and they claim they still have a lot more to add but so far Gentes still has them beat in this area, although that may change since Gentes has unlocked everything they will add while Endeavor is still adding new goals. But I do think I like the look of the Endeavor art better. The board looks really nice. Still, that currently doesn’t make up for all the upgraded components I’d get from Gentes so…

Winner: Gentes

Cost
Sorry this is in Canadian dollars but as I am Canadian… $85 for Gentes vs $92 for Endeavor. A few dollars one way or the other doesn’t affect my decision…

Winner: Tied

Gameplay
This is probably the most important factor for me and is kind of tough to determine without having played either game. So I checked reviews and BGG ratings for both games as well as considered how fun the gameplay seemed to look to me. Gentes currently has a bit higher overall score than Endeavor but I took into consideration that this new version of Endeavor has improved a number of areas including how quickly the game ramps up and the addition of the new Exploits. In the end I gave this category to Endeavor primarily because it was a great game to begin with and the changes they have made to gameplay seem to have put it over the top for me.

Winner: Endeavor

Weight
After the additional of the new exploits, I would say that Endeavor and Gentes seem to be similar in weight. Both roughly medium weight Euro’s that play in similar times from what I can tell. So this category is a tie too.

Replayability
This was also an important category considering the price I’m paying for either option. What good are the nice and shiny components if I get bored of it after a few plays? Gentes seems like it should have good replayability due to the variety of improvement/tech cards but I’m concerned with the user reports that the game feels kind of “samey” after a few plays. But in fairness to Gentes, those users couldn’t seem to explain very well why they felt that way.

And for Endeavor, I know that there was the same complaint about it getting a little repetitive but I think the variety of exploits that you add to each game combined with how much those exploits affect the overall strategy and options seems like it will improve replayability a lot. But the tough part is there aren’t a lot of unbiased players who have had the chance to play this new version so I couldn’t read any user feedback whether my guess about replayability is correct. So in the end I’ll trust my gut feeling that Endeavor will have the better replayability for me.

Setup, End Game Scoring and Teardown
Both look like a lot of setup and teardown. Both have fiddly end game scoring from what I can see. So negatives for both but not a gamebreaker for me.

Theme
Gentes seems kinda dry in terms of theme from what I can see. Yes, I can see I’m building a civ but from the videos I’ve watched, it seemed more like an exercise in mathematics rather than leaving me with feeling “Wow! That’s an interesting, functional civilization!”

For Endeavor, the fact that you work your way into other regions (exploring the new world) and establish control in them, combined with the historical exploits that get added, made the theme pop a little more for me. Theme isn’t really a big deal for me but I would give it to Endeavor from what I’ve seen.

Player Interaction
This is a very subjective category depending on your preference. I prefer any interaction to be the type where you are either just blocking your opponents from spots or if you can “attack” your opponents, it isn’t to the extent that you can mess up their engine or overall strategy.

Gentes seems to be fairly solitaire like apart from the action selection and cards but that’s not really a bad thing.

Endeavor allows you to attack opponents but not in a way that cripples the opponents strategy from what I can tell. And there is a cost to taking spots from opponents so it seem to even out.

Again, a close call between the two but a bit more player interaction in Endeavor just due to the type of game it is. And again, whether this category will be a winner or a looser to them will depend on how much interaction you prefer in your game.

Winner: Endeavor (but only because I like a little more interaction)

Conclusion
As you can hopefully see by the comparisons, it was a really tough call deciding which Kickstarter to back. Both great games, both great upgraded components. For me I think the major factor ended up being what the Exploit cards in Endeavor added to the game in terms of depth, flavor and replayability. All of which are important to me, considering I’m paying for a “deluxe” version of the game. But again, this was a very subjective decision and you may prefer Gentes because of your own preferences. But hopefully my thoughts on it at least help you in making your own decision. Or if you are rich enough to afford both… lucky you!!!

Overall Choice: Endeavor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew. From the title I thought someone was asking for a comparison between these two games and my answer was going to be one is an apple and the other is a legume. They are very different games. But if you have to make a choice between the two then what you did is very helpful. I have played Endeavor dozens of times over the years but have only played Gentes twice. I would agree with everything you wrote except for weight. Endeavor is a much easier game with much more straightforward decisions. Gentes is more difficult to learn and play. That being said I enjoy Endeavor much more than my couple of games of Gentes. There are other games that play like Gentes (civ builder, etc) and for me Gentes did not distinguish itself enough to replace other games. Endeavor is much more enjoyable, plays relatively quickly given its weight and fills a nice niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread s really appreciated. I've been tackling the same question. Thanks for your comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through this same situation. I have been wanting to get Endeavor for years but it's been out of print and hard to get hold of. Just learned about Gentes earlier last year. I've never played either of them. After watching numerous videos and doing comparisons I came to the conclusion Endeavor is more for me. I think they both are probably good games but while playing a game the theme is always whats going through my mind while going through the mechanisms the game provides and I enjoy the Age of Sail theme a lot more than the theme Gentes provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably going to go with both. I missed the TMG deluxe kickstarter for Orleans and learned my lesson. I don't back many kickstarters, but I grab the deluxe versions when I can. It's not like Gentes is an unknown quantity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Stefanik
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughtful and well written comparison.

I had the exact same struggle as you and came to the same conclusion, but for slightly different reasons.

I picked Endeavour over Gentes because the game play seems a little less abstract and a little more intuitive. That makes it a good family game with teenagers and the ability to directly attack your opponents will be very appealing to my 13 year old son.
The other reason I picked it was because it was out of Canada.🍁 😉
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Below
Germany
Egelsbach
Hessen
flag msg tools
I'm more than happy that my wife and I can afford both games.
I appreciate your comparison of these two different games.

Fingers crossed you find a way to get them both or a friend of yours get the other one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff MIller

Derwood
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
A friend had Endeavor (original version) and I recently got the pre-kick starter version of Gentes.

Overall, Endeavor has seems like it has a bunch more replayability wise and if I was to toss down $60, that is the way I would go. I'm not sure about the new versions for either, but the player count seems to favor Endeavor as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great and useful comparison. Would you be a dear and add CO 2 into the mix and do a 3 way comparison. I think I can justify 2 of them but not 3 🤔
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlanBee wrote:
Great and useful comparison. Would you be a dear and add CO 2 into the mix and do a 3 way comparison. I think I can justify 2 of them but not 3 🤔

Haha +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ton Schalks
Netherlands
near Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor: Age of Sail has a NEW Stretch Goal >> 95 Wooden Trade Tokens <<

CLEARLY a WINNER for ME !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went through a similar, thought not as formal, analysis as the OP and came to the same conclusion. Gentes looks like a fine game, but I'm not sure how different it is from some of the games I already have. Endeavor is different, both in terms of theme and game play. And with the new stretch goal of wooden tiles announced today, I'm even more firm in my decision. I'll probably take another look at Gentes when it hits retail (maybe put on my secret Santa wishlist). If I do get it later, I think the retail components will be just fine.

Here's to both campaigns doing well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to the quality games in the Eurogame sphere nowadays, I think both sound very very average.

For myself - if I had to choose one to play (because I'm not interested in owning either), I would vote Endeavor.

Good comparison on personal opinion - but unfortunately, it's all personal here-say and unfounded hype until released.

I'm curious to see which has staying power. Based on previous versions, I would bet Endeavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
With Gentes just a few hours from closing, it is sitting at $470K USD of pledges.

Endeavor is at $252K USD pledged. Will be interesting to see how they finish. They'll both have some of my money. laugh

I won't pledge for Endeavor until the last couple days. I want to help hit any last stretch goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.