Subject: Speeding Ticket Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Faiz Ali
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
In this variant, whenever a player moves more than 2 spaces forward, they pay $1 for each additional space moved (3 spaces = $1, 5 spaces = $3).

This variant encourages slower play and I personally love contracts so I love slower play because you can get and use more contracts in one game.

Please consider trying out and posting your feelings about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Pietrzak
Poland
Zgierz
flag msg tools
badge
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing GWT fast and I see how paying for extra move could damage a lot of strategies. What’s the point of unlocking extra moves if you’d have to pay for them anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar daros
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you share/describe your "play fast" method? What actions are involved and how are your moves made? Curious minds would like to know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Pietrzak
Poland
Zgierz
flag msg tools
badge
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
marrae wrote:
Can you share/describe your "play fast" method? What actions are involved and how are your moves made? Curious minds would like to know

That means I’m focusing on one strategy and abandoning actions giving me small bonuses. E.g. when I’m playing building heavy strategy I’m not buying cows and skipping locations with buying without hesitation. If I’m into cows I’m not going to spend my time moving train even if this giving me a little more money when delivering, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
faizali wrote:
In this variant, whenever a player moves more than 2 spaces forward, they pay $1 for each additional space moved (3 spaces = $1, 5 spaces = $3).

This variant encourages slower play and I personally love contracts so I love slower play because you can get and use more contracts in one game.

If there's one thing I think about when I think of Great Western Trail, it's that Alexander Pfister doesn't really know what he's doing and probably didn't test the game that much, and that I could probably come up with a rule to make the game better off the top of my head or in my sleep, just by taking generic concepts from some other game and applying it to this game.

Thanks - now you've done it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nashman88 wrote:
faizali wrote:

If there's one thing I think about when I think of Great Western Trail, it's that Alexander Pfister doesn't really know what he's doing and probably didn't test the game that much, and that I could probably come up with a rule to make the game better off the top of my head or in my sleep, just by taking generic concepts from some other game and applying it to this game.

Yes, clearly the guy who has 2 Kennerspiel winners, 2 games on BGG top 100, and several other critically acclaimed games doesn't know how to design a game.shake If you don't like that game that's fine, but it's awfully easy to say well I could make a better game in 5 minutes without any proof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
lightbenderfm wrote:
Nashman88 wrote:
faizali wrote:

Yes, clearly the guy who has 2 Kennerspiel winners, 2 games on BGG top 100, and several other critically acclaimed games doesn't know how to design a game.shake If you don't like that game that's fine, but it's awfully easy to say well I could make a better game in 5 minutes without any proof.

Well, to be fair (and I don't like this speeding ticket idea personally), but people like or dislike things about games all the time. Doesn't matter who the designer is. Coming up with a home brew variant (the solo ones here are EXCELLENT) or a house rule is perfectly fine with any game. And sharing with the community is part of being part of a community.

No need to trash the guy for making the suggestion. We should never squelch the creation of ideas while being critical of the ideas themselves.

And face it... MANY games here on BGG do need the community to make them better. This one does not (except for the solo Automa as stated above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
lightbenderfm wrote:
Nashman88 wrote:
faizali wrote:

Well, to be fair (and I don't like this speeding ticket idea personally), but people like or dislike things about games all the time. Doesn't matter who the designer is. Coming up with a home brew variant (the solo ones here are EXCELLENT) or a house rule is perfectly fine with any game. And sharing with the community is part of being part of a community.

No need to trash the guy for making the suggestion. We should never squelch the creation of ideas while being critical of the ideas themselves.

And face it... MANY games here on BGG do need the community to make them better. This one does not (except for the solo Automa as stated above).

I'm not trying to squelch any ideas. I kinda like the idea of playing the game a little slower and doing a few different paths. I think this variant isn't the right way to go about it but my intent was more to say that a guy who has designed several critically acclaimed board games probably has a better idea of how to design a game than someone without any experience doing so. And the claim that he probably didn't test the game that much? Really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
lightbenderfm wrote:
klkitchens wrote:
lightbenderfm wrote:
Nashman88 wrote:
faizali wrote:

I'm not trying to squelch any ideas. I kinda like the idea of playing the game a little slower and doing a few different paths. I think this variant isn't the right way to go about it but my intent was more to say that a guy who has designed several critically acclaimed board games probably has a better idea of how to design a game than someone without any experience doing so.

Yeah, but great improvements can come from anywhere... and critical acclaim doesn't make a great game (see Robinson Crusoe or Manged Night)

lightbenderfm wrote:
And the claim that he probably didn't test the game that much? Really?

That was totally sarcastic (he was being critical of the original idea).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
And still, the internet doesn’t have a sarcasm font...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Improvise
DaveSumm wrote:
And still, the internet doesn’t have a sarcasm font...
That's only your opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.