BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I love blocks. What next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Jenga [+] [View All]
Welshy welshy
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having picked up GMTs Triumph and Tragedy, then Columbia's Napoleon 4th Ed. I've come to love this style of game.

The question is, what next?

I'm loving the fog of war element and note there's a couple of games that takes this to the next level: namely Sekigahara and Rommel in the desert.

I do love my dice rolling and WW2, so probably heading towards RITD currently. Could this be the right move?

I must admit to being drawn to Julius Ceasar too. Perhaps beside of it's classic simplicity.

Any help rationalising or alternatives appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I love blocks. What next?

All of the potential game purchases you mentioned have merit.

BTW, here is a related microbadge...

mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is outstanding, and looks the prettiest of the bunch too in my opinion. The way the shifting loyalties work is really something, gives the game incredible tension.

Hammer of the Scots is another popular choice to consider if you like dice chucking and find the period interesting. Again, shifting loyalties at play in addition to all the fog of war potential from the hidden blocks. I'm planning to pick this up as my next block game purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m a huge fan of Sakigahara! Simple, elegant and slightly asymmetric. You will enjoy! I also think Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918 is an amazing block war game. Though, rules HEAVY, historically accurate WWI game.

Good luck

-m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Academy Games' Strike of the Eagle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratego too obvious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
Stratego too obvious?

I almost recommended that two. Granddaddy of them all.
Stratego Waterloo is pretty good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't the thread to recommend Jenga, is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I’m one of the lucky owners of Sekigahara. Even though it rarely gets to the table (I tend to play with 3 or more players most often) it is still probably one of the finest games I own. If you have any interest in feudal Japan, buy it. I also love dice, but this games shines because all of the strategy comes from the cards in your hand, and it creates terrific moments of tension as you go to battle against an enemy of unknown power.

I can not recommend this one enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.