Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Random dungeon "remove all negative conditions vs permanent wound" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this happened today: room 2 had a chest in it that "cures/removes all negative conditions". I opened the third room and the major penalty was to wound all characters permanently.

Can the chest overcome the permanence?

(On a side note, it was my first time playing two-handed, and we suffered the full leveling penalty. It came down to the very last Monster on the board. Had to do 4 damage to each of two enemies, had an attack 2, target 2. Pulled a +2 on the first. The second had disadvantage, and he was poisoned. I pulled a +0 and a critical hit! Not enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Willottica wrote:
So this happened today: room 2 had a chest in it that "cures/removes all negative conditions". I opened the third room and the major penalty was to wound all characters permanently.

Can the chest overcome the permanence?

(On a side note, it was my first time playing two-handed, and we suffered the full leveling penalty. It came down to the very last Monster on the board. Had to do 4 damage to each of two enemies, had an attack 2, target 2. Pulled a +2 on the first. The second had disadvantage, and he was poisoned. I pulled a +0 and a critical hit! Not enough.

This is my interpretation, but no - the major penalty is meant to put you on a time clock going into the last room, because your remaining healing is unlikely to be able to keep up with wound. Because the wound can't be cured or removed by normal means (healing, long-resting, etc), I take that to mean the intent was it cannot be removed by any means.

Also: bummer! I find the Random Dungeons to be very swingy. They have a reputation of being harder, but I have plowed through a few and got beat up bad by Room 2 in others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was playing the scoundrel and 3 Spears, and we sailed through the first room. Then 3 Spears wanted to hang back and scoop loot, but the scoundrel was impatient and she dashed right in to the second, and put on her invisibility cloak, but NOT IN THE DOORWAY!
3 Spears was forced to make some Sub-optional plays and was down to one HP and 4 cards when we finally opened the last door -- with a permanent wound, immediate loss of a card. He managed to heal, long rest, and then
Spoiler (click to reveal)
stick around scooping loot and generating wind for a bunch of rounds before he
did a big attack prior to exhaustion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough call Chris. The intent of permanent wound may be that you can't get rid of it, but the chest to cure all negative conditions seems pretty clear in its intent. Plus that chest would be fairly lame if not for a pretty horrible condition to clear.

Additionally, ignore neg scenario effects would ignore this permanent wound so why should the chest not cure it. Might make a difference on the exact wording of the negative effect as well.

Id say cure it. Just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fyi, Isaac said that "ignore negative scenario effects" doesn't prevent the penalties in random dungeons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.