4 Posts

Stuffed Fables» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question: unusual bad luck in Story 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playing through Story 1 with my girlfriend and we're having a blast so far. We're playing one stuffy each: my girlfriend plays Lumpy, whom she impersonates perfectly! And I'm playing Flops. The first two/three pages were rather easy and I was wondering whether I should increase the difficulty, but things have turned in favour of the game I guess.

Here's the issue we ran into:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Flops picked up the green blanket earlier during a search action. Lumpy defeated the dark heart leader on the train and got the red blanket. At the marketplace in Squalor (page 15), Lumpy failed to help Kitty against the Brute and became torn, then we ran into Knuckle and his gang.

We managed to kill the crawlies easily, but then everything went down-hill from there. In Knuckle's turn, he first went after Lumpy and managed to steal the red blanket. The next round we draw another threat dice and Knuckle attacked Lumpy again and stole his hammer.

Unable to attack, Lumpy ran away from Knuckle. Then Knuckle went after Flops; without any dice reserved, Flops could not defend herself and went down with one hit, and Knuckle steals the green blanket. Lumpy has one heart, but just two stuffing and could not safe Flops with Protect.

Unfortunately, Lumpy has no items left and he had spent his only button on Lamunda. Unless he draws two or more yellow/purple dice (which we were hoping for) he is unable to find a random item, nor buy something at a vendor, and is basically forced to run away with only two stuffing left. (Mind you, he cannot gain stuffing due to the Torn status effect.)

On his next turn, Lumpy encouraged Flops by giving her one stuffing so she can get away from Knuckle. She draws one threat dice, but also a green and purple dice, and some other colours. Flops runs, and takes a shot with the rubber bands. Rolling both the green and purple (and then re-rolling the green), the end result is 7 and thus a miss. Then it's Kluckle's turn and he goes after Flops again, knocking her down (again) and stealing the yellow cap that Flops found earlier.

Next up is Lumpy and he draws a threat dice again. He runs as far as possible from Knuckle, but unable to do anything else he discards the remaining dice, (except for a blue one that he reserves.)

Knuckle is next again and rolls a 1 (for the first time), he manages to get to Lumpy and attacks. Lumpy defends successfully, but unfortunately, since Knuckle has some stolen items, he escapes, with both blankets!

Maybe this long story was a bit unnecessary, but I guess it might be interesting for you to know the setting and the circumstances. Mind you, with only two stuffies we have three threat dice in the bag, but we managed to draw one each turn (having to refill the bag somewhere halfway, with Flops drawing five dice, but no whites and thus discarding all attribute dice), so Knuckle activated pretty much after each of our turns.

To come to my question: the story assumes that Knuckle might escape with the red blanket and thus gives the option for the stuffies to get the green blanket instead at a vendor. But in our case, we already had the green blanket and lost it to Knuckle as well. With the Boss escaping with both blankets, I concluded that we failed the mission.

Apart from some wrong decisions, I guess we were just very unlucky and should replay the story, but I'm wondering if anyone has a second opinion on this. I don't think we made any mistakes ruleswise.

All in all, we're two adults and having a lot of fun playing the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried blowing on the dice?

I haven't played this page yet, however it sounds to me like it's just a stack of bad luck with the dice, which can happen the moment dice are introduced. I'd be like you and just state the page needs to be replayed. Hopefully next time is better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edenbeast wrote:
Playing through Story 1 with my girlfriend and we're having a blast so far. We're playing one stuffy each: my girlfriend plays Lumpy, whom she impersonates perfectly! And I'm playing Flops. The first two/three pages were rather easy and I was wondering whether I should increase the difficulty, but things have turned in favour of the game I guess.

Here's the issue we ran into:
Flops picked up the green blanket earlier during a search action. Lumpy defeated the dark heart leader on the train and got the red blanket. At the marketplace in Squalor (page 15), Lumpy failed to help Kitty against the Brute and became torn, then we ran into Knuckle and his gang.

We managed to kill the crawlies easily, but then everything went down-hill from there. In Knuckle's turn, he first went after Lumpy and managed to steal the red blanket. The next round we draw another threat dice and Knuckle attacked Lumpy again and stole his hammer.

Unable to attack, Lumpy ran away from Knuckle. Then Knuckle went after Flops; without any dice reserved, Flops could not defend herself and went down with one hit, and Knuckle steals the green blanket. Lumpy has one heart, but just two stuffing and could not safe Flops with Protect.

Unfortunately, Lumpy has no items left and he had spent his only button on Lamunda. Unless he draws two or more yellow/purple dice (which we were hoping for) he is unable to find a random item, nor buy something at a vendor, and is basically forced to run away with only two stuffing left. (Mind you, he cannot gain stuffing due to the Torn status effect.)

On his next turn, Lumpy encouraged Flops by giving her one stuffing so she can get away from Knuckle. She draws one threat dice, but also a green and purple dice, and some other colours. Flops runs, and takes a shot with the rubber bands. Rolling both the green and purple (and then re-rolling the green), the end result is 7 and thus a miss. Then it's Kluckle's turn and he goes after Flops again, knocking her down (again) and stealing the yellow cap that Flops found earlier.

Next up is Lumpy and he draws a threat dice again. He runs as far as possible from Knuckle, but unable to do anything else he discards the remaining dice, (except for a blue one that he reserves.)

Knuckle is next again and rolls a 1 (for the first time), he manages to get to Lumpy and attacks. Lumpy defends successfully, but unfortunately, since Knuckle has some stolen items, he escapes, with both blankets!

Maybe this long story was a bit unnecessary, but I guess it might be interesting for you to know the setting and the circumstances. Mind you, with only two stuffies we have three threat dice in the bag, but we managed to draw one each turn (having to refill the bag somewhere halfway, with Flops drawing five dice, but no whites and thus discarding all attribute dice), so Knuckle activated pretty much after each of our turns.

To come to my question: the story assumes that Knuckle might escape with the red blanket and thus gives the option for the stuffies to get the green blanket instead at a vendor. But in our case, we already had the green blanket and lost it to Knuckle as well. With the Boss escaping with both blankets, I concluded that we failed the mission.

Apart from some wrong decisions, I guess we were just very unlucky and should replay the story, but I'm wondering if anyone has a second opinion on this. I don't think we made any mistakes ruleswise.

All in all, we're two adults and having a lot of fun playing the game!

One thing I have concluded from playing the game is that you should always keep a die reserved on your card. Lumpy should always have a blue if able so he can re roll for defense. And same for flops, always try to keep a green in reserve if necessary for defense. Defense is overlooked easily the first few times you play.

Other than that, it just seems like really bad luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was under the impression that
As soon as Knuckle has the red blanket he immediately leaves
so you might have been put through the wringer more than you should have.

Edit: I see the problem now:
He leaves on a roll of 1-2 and you were only getting higher rolls.
Ouch!

The game system seems to have the gamey issue that sometimes you want to leave one minion in play, so that you don't get more appearing and attacking you. In this case, taking out the minions meant that the boss activated more frequently, because fewer dice were needed to trigger an enemy turn.

I guess the solution is to remove the
Green Blanket
from the deck at the start of the game and consider it a Story Item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.