2 Posts

Chronicle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Change with English Second Edition (Sage, Discards) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both the English editions from Z-Man. Here are links to the versions pages here at BGG: first edition; second edition.

I have noticed a few rules changes that affect play.

For discarding, the first edition says the following: "Some cards have the ability to discard other cards. Place these cards in a face-up pile on the center of the table and see to that it is not confused with the Allies of any players. Only the top card of the discard pile is visible."

In the second edition, this is changed: "Some cards have the ability to discard other cards. Place these cards lined up next to each other in a discard area. The cards in the discard area should always be visible to all players."

There is a link to the second-edition rules here.

There is a related change regarding the special power of the Sage card (printed on the card).

First edition: "You may take one ally from any player and add it to your hand."

Second edition: "You may take one ally from any player or the graveyard and add it to your hand."

Neither the card nor the rules defines "the graveyard," but I assume that the term refers to the collection of discarded cards. That would explain the rule revised regarding the visibility of discarded cards.

Two other changes of no import: the fame tokens are blue in the second edition (instead of the first edition's brown); the second-edition box says the game is for ages 13+ (the first-edition box said 12+).

PS - In another thread, the translator of the original Japanese rules stated that the (original) Sage's power is not option. When playing the Sage, you must indicate a player (possibly yourself) and, if player has any allies, take one of them into your hand.

I am not sure how that would work with the new Sage power (which may be a creation of Z-Man's). I suppose that you could select a player or the "graveyard" and, if that player has any allies (or if the graveyard is non-empty), take a card into your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:

I have noticed a few rules changes that affect play [discard pile and useage of sage] […]
Neither the card nor the rules defines "the graveyard," but I assume that the term refers to the collection of discarded cards. That would explain the rule revised regarding the visibility of discarded cards.

That is correct. In fact, the one responsible for this change is a friend of mine. He is a fervent player of Chronicle, quite probably one who has played the game most of all, and after some 50–80 games concluded that hiding the discard pile didn't add to the game: in fact it just forced a memory-game which wasn't interesting. And if the Sage could retrieve a card from the discards, that would also make the game more interesting, as it could revive an Evil. This was thoroughly tested and proven to be a very good addition, so it was suggested to Kanai, who also tested it and asked this change to be included in the English 2e.

That the discard pile was called the Graveyard on the card was probably just a mistake / missed terminology change.

And yes, ALL powers are mandatory, if they are applicable at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.