Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

After one and a half year I am back and I will finally play this scenario and Under the Mask.
It was T.I.M.E to unbox those scenarios after such a long time.
Well, as usual I read the newest version of the rulebook and I already had a brief look at the german FAQ and the bgg FAQ (thank you for your support Paul!).

Nevertheless some questions arose. I also had a look at the forums and found some answers (also minor spoilers) but in some cases I wanted to be sure to play this scenario the way it is intented by the designers, therefore I contacted Space Cowboys.

Some notes before finally posting the questions/answers:

Regarding Spoilers: I would say there aren‘t any spoilers included. I am just talking about the scenario instruction cards of Bob and some receptacles.

If you think some clarifications are worth to be put in the FAQ, feel free to do it.

I usually play the english version of board games, T.I.M.E Stories is an exception. I play the german version, sorry if not all terminologies are correct.

Here we go:

Regarding receptacle abilities:

1: If I use those 2 spells of Myram which let me heal her/others, may I target receptacles which are not on my space?

Nothing prevents you from doing so.

2.1: If I use Finnocks support spell because there is no enemy on my space and lets say I have 5 brown tokens, could I use the spell 5 times in a row without spending any TU? I could support 3 receptacles, some even several times. Is my assumption correct?

Yes.

2.2: Moreover I have a question regarding the timing: If another receptacle doesn‘t fully pass a test/removes all shields, may I cast the spell to remove additional shields AFTERWARDS? Or do I announce the spell and how many times I will use it BEFORE the other receptacle rolled any dice?

Before.

3: If I use Guillems ability to steal items/gold, the required symbol on a card is necessary. The german text says that I may use the ability only once, each time the symbol is displayed. The problem is, as long as I am on a space during a TU I may reveal the card as many times as I like which leads to unlimited attempts which is probably not the intention. How many times may I use the ability, once per TU as long as I am on a space with a card which has such a symbol?

Once a card is revealed, you can't unreveal it, except by leaving.

Regarding ranged combat:

4.1: May I shoot at an enemy on another space even if for that space close combat is required?

No.

4.2: If I shoot at an enemy on another space I ignore skull shields on that space. What about other shields?

You don't. Take them into account.

Well, I wish the story would end at this point but I still have questions for 3 of this answers:

Question 3: I asked this question because Mr Poulpe from Space Cowboys said that „As long as you're "on" the card, you can keep on looking at it.“
Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21100365#21100365

Stephen on the other hand wrote that the ability could be used each TU: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26381100#26381100
The FAQ of Paul says that the ability doesn‘t cost a TU at all...

Well the answer I received was that the thief can use his ability every second TU, he has to leave the card at first. If he joins other receptacles he can‘t use his ability because the card was already revealed...

Heck, what is correct.

Question 4.1: The answer is no.
Well in the meantime I found this answer from Stephen which says yes: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22292731#22292731

If I also take the answer from Sebastian(Asmodee) into account, that you can shoot at cards with no receptacle on it (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22495490#22495490) then it would make sense that the answer given to me is wrong.
The answer I received was that I can‘t attack cards which show the close combat symbol from distance but if there is no receptacle on such a card, the symbol isn‘t shown...

Heck, what is correct?

Question 4.2: Jacks answer contradicts my answer although I don‘t know his source: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25336590#25336590

One and a half year ago I already wrote Space Cowboys because Will Henry(Marcy Case) had an ability to shoot at other spaces. I didn‘t notice that I already asked this special question that time. Guess what... we have a third different answer and Space Cowboys contradicts themselves: „You only prevent life points loss(other effects/shields take place) when you shoot at an enemy on another space.

So the answer this time is to take all shields except skull shields into account, last time heart shields were also excluded.

Heck, what is correct?

I will skip this scenario for the moment and start Under the Mask this evening.

EDIT: Spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will clarify that I am not an official source for rules answers, I try to use reason (and Space Cowboys) to help others, but it's not unknown for me to be completely wrong in my "rulings", I have changed my mind after some debates, and I always defer to the likes of Mr Poulpe and Sebastian.

I can't quite follow some of your statements, for question 3 regarding Guillem's ability, you link to an unrelated response about looking at a card on a space, which is not the same as spending a TU to take the action the card allows. Also I see no reason why you have to move away from, and back to, a card to reactivate it, if I'm in a shop, why can't I keep spending TU there to keep "shopping"?

For me, it's not a question of how often you may look at the cards, it's that Guillem's ability is only used "once" (as stated on his card), I infer that to mean once per TU as the card and Items in the scenario have no memory (no tokens are used to track if he has used his ability on an Item), and if you are able to keep looking at them and use the ability just because you are on the space, then that is not "once".

4.1 You've linked to an answer from Sebastian that is not about close combat, only about ranged attacks and when they can happen. Given that François' response was yes regarding ranged attacks into close combat, and someone else's from Space Cowboys was no, you might want to contact your source again citing the response from François.

4.2 (Without looking up Will Henry), the two answers are not contradictory, this is a case of different scenarios, different rules, and the Ranged rules in Prophecy only reference Skull shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking time answering me.
I know that I quoted you but my intention wasn‘t to criticize you.
In fact I like that you and others often answer questions.
Francois answered me by the way.

Anyway... I will finally play in the next 15 minutes^^
Maybe I won‘t do everything correct but I have 2 FAQS and I won‘t do some mistakes which were done by people after release ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger the Alien wrote:
Thank you for taking time answering me.
I know that I quoted you but my intention wasn‘t to criticize you.
In fact I like that you and others often answer questions.
Francois answered me by the way.

Anyway... I will finally play in the next 15 minutes^^
Maybe I won‘t do everything correct but I have 2 FAQS and I won‘t do some mistakes which were done by people after release ;P

I didn't see it as criticism, only a series of queries, and as I stated, I have no problem with being proven wrong or overruled, so no harm done.

Good luck on your next mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.