Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Thinking of downloading a few fan-made cases to play tonight as we’ve played all 20 cases from SHCD and the West End Adventures. Is the London Directory the same in both SHCD and West End Adventures? Want to make sure before I download anything - any recommendations of where to start would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I’ve sold the base game since finshing it, and only have West End Adventures, hence the question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The directory works in a way that is different than a directory in reality. In the game there are some well known places that always exist on the map and in the directory each representing the same place consistently. But there are other places that can be used one way in one case and in a totally different way in another case. So for these types of places (the majority) you do not want to carry over any info about a specific place from one case into another. They might be the same and they might not be, only use the information that you obtain thru the case materials (newspapers, directory, case clues, case briefing, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new cases should know about the standard locations and can use other locations as they wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Johnson wrote:
The directory works in a way that is different than a directory in reality. In the game there are some well known places that always exist on the map and in the directory each representing the same place consistently. But there are other places that can be used one way in one case and in a totally different way in another case. So for these types of places (the majority) you do not want to carry over any info about a specific place from one case into another. They might be the same and they might not be, only use the information that you obtain thru the case materials (newspapers, directory, case clues, case briefing, etc.)

The OP was asking about the London Directory for both games, not the entries in the separate case booklets, which you seem to be referring to.

As far as the physical London Directory for both cases, I don't know if they are exactly the same or not. They *should* be, but I know there were a few errors and name spelling changes between the earlier versions of the game. I would assume that the newer Asmodee/Space Cowboys versions would all use the same directory across all expansions, but can't verify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CavemanLogic wrote:

As far as the physical London Directory for both cases, I don't know if they are exactly the same or not. They *should* be, but I know there were a few errors and name spelling changes between the earlier versions of the game. I would assume that the newer Asmodee/Space Cowboys versions would all use the same directory across all expansions, but can't verify.

Ok thanks, I guessed they’d be the same, but thought it’d be worth checking before I invest in printing everything off from a fan-made case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
Ok thanks, I guessed they’d be the same, but thought it’d be worth checking before I invest in printing everything off from a fan-made case.

If you are looking to play the fan-made cases found here on the Geek, it might be worth it to check out the fan-edited Digital London directory with errata to see how your new directory compares. Most of the fan-made cases were based on the Ystari London Directory, which this work is based on.

isketch put a lot of work and effort identifying and correcting many of the inconsistencies found in earlier versions of the directory, and added some embellishments (such as color coded locations) as well. He did a fantastic job.

kaosconman, who has done a lot of work bringing us translations of some of the fan-made cases, even created an extension of the London Map showing the previously hidden East District. Here is his updated version:

Lastly, here is a shameless plug for the Case Notes Booklet accessory I created for the game. I never play the game without it.

Hopefully you find these works useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.