243 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Scribe for KD:M [Android][iOS] - The Creator's Update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
First, a disclaimer: Scribe is not developed, maintained, authorized or in any other way supported by or affiliated with Kingdom Death or Adam Poots Games.

Here's the link to the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tabooapps....

Scribe is a fully featured settlement management app, containing everything you need to record all the information about your settlement, timeline, and survivors. Everything stays on your device, and it even supports local multiplayer!

If you want to see some screenshots and see how the app works, check out the Getting Started wiki.

Why a native app?
There are already excellent web tools like KDM-Manager/The Watcher, but they've never been quite what I wanted to use. They can be a bit slow sometimes, and call me paranoid but I always felt a little uneasy about tying my board game to a third party web server. If they happened to go down or I lost internet access then I couldn't play my board game. It hasn't happened yet, but was always a little whisper in the back of my mind. With a native app there are practically no load times and you're not dependent on the internet!

Key Features
Full settlement management, from resource storage to timeline to individual survivors
Local networked multiplayer, no internet connection required, just Wi-Fi
Full data export/import -- make backups, or if you decide you don't want to use the app you can pull your data out

Multiplayer support
One of its biggest features, in my opinion, is Scribe's multiplayer. It's quick to setup, and when you do everyone's apps communicate directly with each other (no internet access needed, just that all devices need to be on the same Wi-Fi network). It's lightning fast, and any changes someone else makes will instantly render on everyone else's app. No more "Did you update that survivor? Oh I need to refresh". Just make the change and it happens everywhere. There's a lot more going on under the hood, and some caveats, so if you want to know more check out the wiki here.

Subscriptions
Scribe is a shaping up to be a pretty complex app, and it takes up a lot of time to maintain and enhance. For me subscriptions are less of a way to make money (I have no illusions about the size of my userbase) and more of a contract between myself and you, the users. If I have consistent monthly revenue of some kind it's much easier to stay motivated and keep up with regular development. I have so many cool ideas for this app and I would love nothing more than to see them come to fruition.

That said, you can absolutely 100% continue to use Scribe for free. I'm not holding your settlements hostage. At some point there will be ads if you don't have a subscription (small ads, banner accross the bottom type of thing), and I will likely implement some nice quality of life features that will be exclusive to subscribers, but nothing that would be considered critical functionality. Free and subscribed apps will always be 100% cross-compatible for multiplayer.

There are 3 subscription tiers available in the app now (under the Subscriptions menu item): a $2, a $5, and a $10, all billed monthly. There is no difference in what they will unlock in the future (they currently don't unlock anything at all other than a mutual feeling of goodwill).

iOS Support
iOS is available! You can get it here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scribe-for-kd-m/id1363804894...

There's one major caveat though:

The iOS version of Scribe cannot host multiplayer games at this time

This is due to a bug in the network package that I'm using to do multiplayer, for some reason on iOS the server refuses to accept connections. I've had a case open with the maintainer of the package for over 3 weeks with no response, and at this point I would rather release the app as it is than hold it for a fix that may never come. The iOS version can still connect to a game hosted by an Android device.

If you are an iOS developer and would like to lend a hand, let me know and I can set up a test repo that reproduces the issue. I don't have the native iOS knowledge to debug this very effectively so any help would be great. If we can figure it out I'll give you a free lifetime subscription.

Feedback
If you do check out the app, thanks so much! You may want to check out some tips and tricks here. You can submit feedback through the issue list or send an email to scribe dot for dot kdm at gmail dot com. Messaging me here on BGG is extremely unlikely to reach me in a timely fashion.

If you want to see Scribe's patch notes they're available here:
https://gitlab.com/taboobat/kdm-app/wikis/Release-History

Thanks for reading this far, and I hope you find Scribe useful! In case you missed the links above, here they are again:

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scribe-for-kd-m/id1363804894...
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tabooapps....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Announcing Scribe for KD:M, a native Android settlement management app!
I have been using this for a couple of weeks now and love it! I am doing the first big multiplayer test of it tonight. I will be sure to let you know if we have any issues.

You da' man! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
MajorPWNage wrote:
I have been using this for a couple of weeks now and love it! I am doing the first big multiplayer test of it tonight. I will be sure to let you know if we have any issues.

You da' man! laugh

You've been using it for a couple weeks? How did you manage that? It hasn't even been on Google play for more than a week.

I think you might have me mixed up with someone else

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it was about a week- week and a half. I was using it last weekend. I have been spreading it out to friends like crazy so it must just feel like longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
MajorPWNage wrote:
Maybe it was about a week- week and a half. I was using it last weekend. I have been spreading it out to friends like crazy so it must just feel like longer.

Huh. How'd you find it? This is the first time I've posted the link in public and I don't think it's listed in the real Google play app store yet. You must have some serious detective skills!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit G.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He met a Phoenix and warped time to get the app before it was released!

Great work btw. I just downloaded it and try to get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taboobat wrote:
MajorPWNage wrote:

Huh. How'd you find it? This is the first time I've posted the link in public and I don't think it's listed in the real Google play app store yet. You must have some serious detective skills!

Was looking for a KDM app and it just popped up on the play store. no where near the top but it was there. Told me it wasn't released yet but could use at my own risk.

I'll go with the Phoenix theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
MajorPWNage wrote:
Taboobat wrote:
MajorPWNage wrote:

Was looking for a KDM app and it just popped up on the play store. no where near the top but it was there. Told me it wasn't released yet but could use at my own risk.

I'll go with the Phoenix theory.

Well that's pretty cool, I (clearly) had no idea that was even possible. Have some GG for being the world's first tester! And a gold star for using the app while it was really unstable haha .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! But even for it being unstable it all worked great, tbf I hadn't used the multiplayer stuff but I will thoroughly test it tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wendling
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Multiplayer support
One of its biggest features, in my opinion, is Scribe's multiplayer. It's quick to setup, and when you do everyone's apps communicate directly with each other (no internet access needed, just that all devices need to be on the same Wi-Fi network). It's lightning fast, and any changes someone else makes will instantly render on everyone else's app. No more "Did you update that survivor? Oh I need to refresh". Just make the change and it happens everywhere. There's a lot more going on under the hood, and some caveats, so if you want to know more check out the wiki here.

To me this could be one of the greatest QoL features. Takes some of the bookkeeping weight off of just one person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xris Wraith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Installed and waiting for next week to get tested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
wrathlord wrote:
Installed and waiting for next week to get tested.

If you already have a game going I'd recommend recreating your settlement in Scribe before your session so you don't spend playtime creating survivors and the like.

If you do multiplayer then when the other people connect to you they'll download everything you've set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GusSquared wrote:
Quote:
Multiplayer support
To me this could be one of the greatest QoL features. Takes some of the bookkeeping weight off of just one person.
If it wasn't already in the app I was going to suggest it. I love this feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Jasiven wrote:
GusSquared wrote:
Quote:
Multiplayer support
If it wasn't already in the app I was going to suggest it. I love this feature.

Yeah from the beginning I knew that multiplayer was something it had to do at least fairly well. KDM's meant to be played with a group, so I needed to make something that would be good to use when my friends come over for our weekly game.

Turns out that the peer-to-peer stuff I wanted to make is really difficult to do on a mobile OS. I think it's turned out pretty well all things considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! Can't wait to test it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome job man, this is what i have been waiting for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great run with it last night. Found one bug and submitted it for you. Otherwise it was excellent! The Multiplayer feature is just awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
MajorPWNage wrote:
Had a great run with it last night. Found one bug and submitted it for you. Otherwise it was excellent! The Multiplayer feature is just awesome!

Great, I'm glad to hear it! If you were the one that reported the SotF multiplayer bug, that fix is live on the Play Store.

Other than that nothing too critical has been reported yet, so it's going pretty smoothly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn R.
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone tried this on a really cheap Kindle Fire 7? Thinking for small money I could have 4 up and running for my players to use.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rotsh01 wrote:
Anyone tried this on a really cheap Kindle Fire 7? Thinking for small money I could have 4 up and running for my players to use.....

Haven't on a Kindle Fire but I have used it on a crappy virtual machine and it worked fine. I doubt it will have any trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Rotsh01 wrote:

The crappiest device I've run it on is a nexus 4 running Android 5, though that had some problems surrounding permissions for some reason. The crappiest device I've done extensive testing with is a nexus 5 on Android 6. Looking at specs the nexus 5 has a 2.3GHz processor while a kindle fire 7 only pulls 1.3GHz, so I imagine it'll be a little slow. The most intensive things are rendering new pages from scratch, so you might end up with it taking 1-2 seconds when you switch pages, depending on what page you're going to. The survivor list and opening up departing survivors tend to be the most intense since they need to process a lot of data in order show all the stats. On my nexus 5 it's always taken less than a second though so I imagine a kindle fire wouldn't be too terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks great. I wanted to test it immediately with our ongoing campaign, but it seems that the current expansions are not featured yet...I'll have to wait for a new vanilla campaign...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rotsh01 wrote:

I tried. But when I try to join games it tells me the camera is not authorized :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agoobwa wrote:
Rotsh01 wrote:

I tried. But when I try to join games it tells me the camera is not authorized :/

You should be able to set permissions in the android app settings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Agoobwa wrote:
Rotsh01 wrote:

Hmm. Any idea what version of Android it's running? Hopefully it's not an issue specific to whatever Amazon did to Android OS, I don't have one so it'll be a pain to debug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.