Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Heaven & Ale» Forums » General

Subject: UK Release? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: inside_bg [+] [View All]
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will Heaven & Ale be released in the UK? If so, when?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego García Campos
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also interested on this. Is there any release date for the English version of this game in Europe?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this still not available?

Seems to have been available in the US for some time now, what's the deal?

German publisher, yet it has not been released in Europe but available in the US. What the heck?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperAbobo wrote:
Why is this still not available?

Seems to have been available in the US for some time now, what's the deal?

German publisher, yet it has not been released in Europe but available in the US. What the heck?



I looked into my files. It looks like Esdevium/Asmodee is signed as a partner. I can only speculate, but my guess it is for a second print run. I'll ask for you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperAbobo wrote:
Why is this still not available?

Seems to have been available in the US for some time now, what's the deal?

German publisher, yet it has not been released in Europe but available in the US. What the heck?


There was a very limited edition print on the first edition. However, they are partnered with us for the reprint. I would expect it in a few months (I don't have a delivery date yet).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for checking.

It must have been very limited, because it seems like the game never even reached UK stores.

I'll be looking forward to finally getting a copy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperAbobo wrote:
Thanks for checking.

It must have been very limited, because it seems like the game never even reached UK stores.

I'll be looking forward to finally getting a copy.


I was told less than 200 - which is teeny tiny
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Less than 200? Wow, that is tiny...No wonder it's been hard to find.

Considering it's a design by Michael Kiesling, it makes you wonder why such a small print run?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Adams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperAbobo wrote:
Less than 200? Wow, that is tiny...No wonder it's been hard to find.

Considering it's a design by Michael Kiesling, it makes you wonder why such a small print run?


I'm afraid this is entirely typical for any print run of a European published game released in an English language version by a company run by Sophie Gravel. She used to head up Filosofia which bought Z-Man and then suddenly English language versions even of games designed by such luminaries as Uwe Rosenberg (Ora et Labora) or Kramer and Kiesling (Palaces of Carrara) became all but impossible to get in Europe because the English language print runs were pathetically under-ambitious. Apparently, Ms Gravel got burned once by publishing too many copies of a game and not being able to shift them all so now she's ultra, ultra conservative. Her prerogative of course but personally I think it's a huge disservice to the designers of the games in question who are undoubtedly missing out on large numbers of potential sales (the demand for games like Ora et Labora and Palaces of Carrara far exceeded the supply - just look on the relevant forums on BGG) as well as to the many consumers left unable to get a copy of these excellent games. Frankly, I'm stunned and massively disappointed that eggertspiele, a wonderful company whose games always used to be published with at least German and English rules as standard, allowed themselves to be taken over by Ms Gravel's new company, Plan B, which is not only stopping eggertspiele from including English rules in its initial releases but clearly sticking to her predilection for ultra-conservative print runs of English language versions (200 is ridiculous for a Michael Kiesling game, just ridiculous. I would imagine it couldn't be too hard to shift 200 copies in a single large US state, let alone the whole of the English speaking world, as well as those many other parts of Europe and the world which routinely buy English language games). I see that the possibility of a second print run has been dangled but all I'd say is don't hold your breath. There was a second English language print run of Ora et Labora a couple of years ago but it came several years after the initial print run and was yet again lamentably conservative, with only handfuls of copies reaching Europe and none, as far as I'm aware anyway, through regular distribution channels. So, yeah, I'm afraid it looks like the curse of Gravel is striking again...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I never did manage to get a copy of Ora et Labora, for the very reasons you mention. As for Carrara, let's just be thankful for the Hans Im Gluck version, or I doubt I would own a copy of that either.

Still waiting for Heaven and Ale.
I guess they just don't want our money...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Puglord wrote:
SuperAbobo wrote:
Less than 200? Wow, that is tiny...No wonder it's been hard to find.

Considering it's a design by Michael Kiesling, it makes you wonder why such a small print run?


I'm afraid this is entirely typical for any print run of a European published game released in an English language version by a company run by Sophie Gravel. She used to head up Filosofia which bought Z-Man and then suddenly English language versions even of games designed by such luminaries as Uwe Rosenberg (Ora et Labora) or Kramer and Kiesling (Palaces of Carrara) became all but impossible to get in Europe because the English language print runs were pathetically under-ambitious. Apparently, Ms Gravel got burned once by publishing too many copies of a game and not being able to shift them all so now she's ultra, ultra conservative. Her prerogative of course but personally I think it's a huge disservice to the designers of the games in question who are undoubtedly missing out on large numbers of potential sales (the demand for games like Ora et Labora and Palaces of Carrara far exceeded the supply - just look on the relevant forums on BGG) as well as to the many consumers left unable to get a copy of these excellent games. Frankly, I'm stunned and massively disappointed that eggertspiele, a wonderful company whose games always used to be published with at least German and English rules as standard, allowed themselves to be taken over by Ms Gravel's new company, Plan B, which is not only stopping eggertspiele from including English rules in its initial releases but clearly sticking to her predilection for ultra-conservative print runs of English language versions (200 is ridiculous for a Michael Kiesling game, just ridiculous. I would imagine it couldn't be too hard to shift 200 copies in a single large US state, let alone the whole of the English speaking world, as well as those many other parts of Europe and the world which routinely buy English language games). I see that the possibility of a second print run has been dangled but all I'd say is don't hold your breath. There was a second English language print run of Ora et Labora a couple of years ago but it came several years after the initial print run and was yet again lamentably conservative, with only handfuls of copies reaching Europe and none, as far as I'm aware anyway, through regular distribution channels. So, yeah, I'm afraid it looks like the curse of Gravel is striking again...



Whoa Nelly! Asmodee U.K./Esdevium was offered a spot on the run. They elected for the small print run, not Plan B. More to the point, we now run our first print run purely on preorders sold to distributors. This is the best way to leverage risk with a new title.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Adams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry but this just sounds like an attempt to pass the buck. Umpteen other publishers have no problem providing sufficient copies to meet demand for English language copies of games throughout North America, in Europe and beyond. TMG manages it, Stronghold manages it, Renegade manages it, Fantasy Flight manages it, Plaid Hat manages it, Z-Man under Zev managed it and is managing it again now under Asmodee. It seems to me that the only companies that have consistently failed to come anywhere near meeting apparent demand for a notable number of their games are Z-Man under Filosofia's leadership and now Plan B. I appreciate you feeling the need to defend your boss but I'm afraid I'm not a great fan of her influence on the hobby in this regard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Puglord wrote:
Sorry but this just sounds like an attempt to pass the buck. Umpteen other publishers have no problem providing sufficient copies to meet demand for English language copies of games throughout North America, in Europe and beyond. TMG manages it, Stronghold manages it, Renegade manages it, Fantasy Flight manages it, Plaid Hat manages it, Z-Man under Zev managed it and is managing it again now under Asmodee. It seems to me that the only companies that have consistently failed to come anywhere near meeting apparent demand for a notable number of their games are Z-Man under Filosofia's leadership and now Plan B. I appreciate you feeling the need to defend your boss but I'm afraid I'm not a great fan of her influence on the hobby in this regard.


It's just a business decision. While conservative it ensures limited wasted financial assets if it doesn't go over well. Also factoring this decision was Eggertspiele as an international publisher and establishing new partners and terms. There was very little promotion of both Eggertspiele titles from Essen. Surprise, a distributor was a little iffy.

By contrast, NA has no supply issues with H&A.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego García Campos
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on the availability of an English version in Europe? Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seyit Cinici
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
All systems will bow to the First Order!
badge
#BenSwolo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the nomination for Kennerspiel de Jahres maybe you guys will speed up the proces of releasing this in English to also the Netherlands?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zirkonia wrote:
Since the nomination for Kennerspiel de Jahres maybe you guys will speed up the proces of releasing this in English to also the Netherlands?


It's not us, we need a local distributor to order it to sell.

That being said, yes the Kenner will likely encourage a local distributor to carry it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Adams
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EchoOperative wrote:
Zirkonia wrote:
Since the nomination for Kennerspiel de Jahres maybe you guys will speed up the proces of releasing this in English to also the Netherlands?


It's not us, we need a local distributor to order it to sell.

That being said, yes the Kenner will likely encourage a local distributor to carry it.


I have to wonder what terms you demand of local distributors because none of your competing publishers seem to struggle to find distributors in Europe for English language versions of their games. Perhaps if you're really interested in serving the European market adequately you might think about amending your terms to make them more attractive to the distributors? Or, alternatively, at least allow eggertspiele to once more include English rules in copies of their games? That worked very well for years before
Plan B bought them out and for some reason stopped them publishing multilingual versions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Puglord wrote:
EchoOperative wrote:
Zirkonia wrote:
Since the nomination for Kennerspiel de Jahres maybe you guys will speed up the proces of releasing this in English to also the Netherlands?


It's not us, we need a local distributor to order it to sell.

That being said, yes the Kenner will likely encourage a local distributor to carry it.


I have to wonder what terms you demand of local distributors because none of your competing publishers seem to struggle to find distributors in Europe for English language versions of their games. Perhaps if you're really interested in serving the European market adequately you might think about amending your terms to make them more attractive to the distributors? Or, alternatively, at least allow eggertspiele to once more include English rules in copies of their games? That worked very well for years before
Plan B bought them out and for some reason stopped them publishing multilingual versions.


Our terms are great, between Azul and the Century series we have nearly 30 international partners. I am chalking this one up to H&A being the first new Eggertspiele release after we acquired them. I am not on the sales team so I don't the intimate details.

I suspect this will work itself out with the release of Coimbra this summer.

I can't speak to why EN or any other language rules aren't included in the title. I have some ideas, but they are pure speculation.

That being said, I will happily share your thoughts with the team.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seyit Cinici
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
All systems will bow to the First Order!
badge
#BenSwolo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EchoOperative wrote:
Puglord wrote:
EchoOperative wrote:
Zirkonia wrote:
Since the nomination for Kennerspiel de Jahres maybe you guys will speed up the proces of releasing this in English to also the Netherlands?


It's not us, we need a local distributor to order it to sell.

That being said, yes the Kenner will likely encourage a local distributor to carry it.


I have to wonder what terms you demand of local distributors because none of your competing publishers seem to struggle to find distributors in Europe for English language versions of their games. Perhaps if you're really interested in serving the European market adequately you might think about amending your terms to make them more attractive to the distributors? Or, alternatively, at least allow eggertspiele to once more include English rules in copies of their games? That worked very well for years before
Plan B bought them out and for some reason stopped them publishing multilingual versions.


Our terms are great, between Azul and the Century series we have nearly 30 international partners. I am chalking this one up to H&A being the first new Eggertspiele release after we acquired them. I am not on the sales team so I don't the intimate details.

I suspect this will work itself out with the release of Coimbra this summer.

I can't speak to why EN or any other language rules aren't included in the title. I have some ideas, but they are pure speculation.

That being said, I will happily share your thoughts with the team.


Please do because I’m also very interested in Coimbra as well but I’ll only buy it in English in the Netherlands.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zirkonia wrote:
EchoOperative wrote:
Puglord wrote:
EchoOperative wrote:
Zirkonia wrote:
Since the nomination for Kennerspiel de Jahres maybe you guys will speed up the proces of releasing this in English to also the Netherlands?


It's not us, we need a local distributor to order it to sell.

That being said, yes the Kenner will likely encourage a local distributor to carry it.


I have to wonder what terms you demand of local distributors because none of your competing publishers seem to struggle to find distributors in Europe for English language versions of their games. Perhaps if you're really interested in serving the European market adequately you might think about amending your terms to make them more attractive to the distributors? Or, alternatively, at least allow eggertspiele to once more include English rules in copies of their games? That worked very well for years before
Plan B bought them out and for some reason stopped them publishing multilingual versions.


Our terms are great, between Azul and the Century series we have nearly 30 international partners. I am chalking this one up to H&A being the first new Eggertspiele release after we acquired them. I am not on the sales team so I don't the intimate details.

I suspect this will work itself out with the release of Coimbra this summer.

I can't speak to why EN or any other language rules aren't included in the title. I have some ideas, but they are pure speculation.

That being said, I will happily share your thoughts with the team.


Please do because I’m also very interested in Coimbra as well but I’ll only buy it in English in the Netherlands.


Good news regardless, the game is language independent and we will be hosting EN rules on bgg and our website

If I had to guess, there may be a language exclusivity for regions to prevent competition among distributors from other countries (his is just speculation though).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.