Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Muench
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In its current state, the deck of cards is a towering thing, filled to the brim with tons and tons of cards, some of which are, frankly, far better than others. I've also felt that some cards, such as the Berserker, were just better than others in the base game, and now that becomes a bit more pronounced in my eyes. Coupled with the fact that there are justs so many cards now, I feel as if the deck, as a whole, could use some pruning, both for convenience and balance sake.

Off the bat, three thoughts have crossed my mind:

1. Remove heroes. Heroes are a neat concept and can lead to some interesting moments, but they also feel absurdly unfair when someone draws them. Seeing as there's only one of each in such a deep deck and are so wildly dependant on how well you are doing in a specific area, they are either incredibly powerful or incredibly weak for that player. This may be a small change, but it's one that I feel may be necessary.

2. Remove some less useful cards. There are certain cards that, in my eyes, are so very rarely useful:

- The Merchant is one that, while the ability sounds grand, seems pretty weak in practice.

- Anything that earns you things at the Township is hampered by the fact that there are only three opportunities in the whole game to score them.

- The traitor, while one of my favorites thematically, feels overly situational due to the expense of subduing Jarls.

- The Ferryman is a weird card, coming off as thematically separated from the game and feeling like a worse Warmonger.

- The traitor, while another cool card in theory (and I adore the art), has incredibly little effect on others in the long term, as 1 or 2 wounds rarely costs another player that many points, feeling like you're throwing away your action for a fairly meaningless ability.

- The Shepard is a slightly worse Forager, but is useful solely because of how difficult it feels to get provisions early game without one or the other.

3. Remove one copy of each card from the game. This could be an elegant way of reducing the number of cards in the box without removing any content, but I don't know how much that would reduce the deck size ultimately. I may try this in the coming weeks, though I'm not convinced that this alone will fix my issues with the above cards, perhaps even accentuating them.

Now, I recognize that almost all cards have a new use now; Quests. You can easily chuck cards that are useless to you for their fight, right? Well, not all cards have a fight value at all, or low fight values that hardly matter. Additionally, if those cards are JUST throw-away cards, they are inherently less useful than those cards that are valuable in all three fields of use. Needless to say, some cards are better than others and can shape a game experience, sometimes negatively.

Are there any cards you feel should be removed from the game? Do you agree or disagree that the card count needs to be reduced? Let me know your thoughts, as I look forward to working on this project moving forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the base game and expansions played just fine together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rawn gandy
msg tools
what if each person just starts with a hero, basically as their player ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the base cards, expansions, and promos and what I did was trim it down so that there was only a max of two cards of the same name.

That trimmed it down enough so that the whole deck fits in one of the collector's boxes area (unsleeved) and it plays just fine.

I know it freaks some people out to throw away game components so instead you could just take the 3rd copy of each card and put them under the divider and forget about them if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bryson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Which player count are we talking about? I could see a culling of the deck at the 2 player count, maybe 3, but at 4+ I'd assume you would want all the cards.

Does anyone play at 2, and if so, does culling the deck with these suggestions help card selection and still allow for the deck to not be fully explored during a session?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.