Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two blight card provided with the base game are easy.

When the island becomes blighted, each turn during the blight phase, the effect under the "blighted island" title is applied.

But some cards in the expansion seems to be one shot, such as "Aid from lesser spirits".

Is there a general rule here? For example, when the card text begins with "immediatly" the card effect is one shot and immediate, not waiting for the "blighted island" phase; on the contrary is the text doesn't begin with "immediatly" the effect is applied each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it says "Immediately", you do it once, as soon as the card is flipped.

If it says "Every Spirit Phase", you do it every turn, during the Spirit Phase.

If it says "At the start of each Invader Phase", you do it every turn, during the Blighted Island part of the Invader Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this answer should appear in the FAQ...

grysqrl wrote:
If it says "Immediately", you do it once, as soon as the card is flipped.

If it says "Every Spirit Phase", you do it every turn, during the Spirit Phase.

If it says "At the start of each Invader Phase", you do it every turn, during the Blighted Island part of the Invader Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a bit weird, because rules say to resolve the card only at the beginning of Invader phase, so “every spirit phase” breaks out from that framework. I mean, I get it that you resolve it in Invader phase and by the act of resolving, it leaves a "lingering" effect, but it's a bit wonky.

FAQ also says:

Quote:

Most of the expansion Blighted Island cards take effect just once, and then they are done, as indicated on the card. There will be continuing negative effects from Events.
Back Against the Wall and Aid from Lesser Spirits have effects every turn.

which further confuses me because it implies that with Aid from Lesser Spirits, you get new card every turn, which is not true (I think). Yet, the lingering effect of the chosen card staying with you and being played every turn, remains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several instances in this game where the wording of the rules are not entirely precise when it comes to timing, such as the France Level 1 power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.