Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Carey
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just learning the game but falling damage is confusing me. Mechs stand 2 levels tall right? Say you fall from a level 1 hex to a level 0 hex. How many levels do you fall, how much damage do you take, and what is the pilot check modifier? I am confused about if it includes the height of the Mech or just the difference in terrain.

Second, when falling into water I know you take half damage when you hit the surface, and half damage for hitting the bottom... But do you take the surface damage if you are standing in depth -1 and so half in the water? Or only if you are at like level +1 and you fall into depth -1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando Mejia
Panama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What version are you playing?

As I only play the oldest version I will refrain to answer, but this may have changed a few time in different versions of the game and it will help you get a better answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Carey
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the classic battletech introductory rulebook in the introductory boxed set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando Mejia
Panama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, as people playing the version you are playing may take a while to answer I can tell you how it was in the first edition of the game. It shouldn't be too different.

First mech height is never taken into account, mechs are 2 levels of height, yes, but you base damage on height fallen based in the level the mech was before and after the fall, so based in where the mech feet where.

"To find the number of levels fallen, subtract the elevation of the hex into which the mech falls from the elevation level of the hex in which it began the current phase. If this number is negative (the mech fell uphill) treat it as zero (0)." Then add 1 and multiply this by 1/10 tonnage to find total falling damage.

Falling in water halves the damage, but you consider the bottom of the water hex for level.

For the water question... this "take damage whe hitting the surface and then again after hitting bottom" is new to me. But in the meantime I would rule that as you are already below the water surface (level -1) you don't take damage for hitting the surface, just at the bottom. Remember the level the mech is stepping is important not mech height.

I hope this help you to play until someone more knowledgeable arrives and answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way falling damage is calculated is confusing. Think of it this way: falling damage is tonnage/10 times the number of levels fallen. For falling damage, mechs are considered to be at level 1. Thusly falling damage in the same hex is tonnage/10 times 1. In your case falling from a level 1 to level 0 is 2 levels because a mech is considered to be 1 level above the level it is standing on, falling damage is tonnage/10 times 2.

Piloting check modifiers include any damage to the mech like a hip or leg actuator, 20 or more damage and the number of levels fallen. Again the modifier for falling is confusing, just think of the falling modifier as number of levels minus 1. Therefore a mech falling within the same hex has a modifier of +0. In your case, the falling modifier would be 2-1=1. See page 69 in Total Warfare for an example. Assuming your mech was pushed off the level 1 hex and you do not have any leg damage. Your piloting check modifiers would be + 1(fall from 2 levels). Add that to the pilot's piloting skill to get the minimum roll needed to avoid pilot damage.

If a mech standing in water falls in the same hex, it takes half the usual falling damage.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Carey
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, so the bit about taking damage from hitting the surface of the water is only for if you are completely above the water and fall in? Then you also take damage for hitting the bottom of the water hex (both instances being divided by half? Do you make two pilot checks against mechwarrior damage?)

You don't take surface water damage if you are half above the water? Just bottom of the water hex damage?

What if you fall while standing in depth 0 water? So none of your mech is submerged?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you take damage from water and bottom of hex only if fell from above the water. I think It is only one piloting roll to avoid damage.

Correct, no surface water damage if half above water.

Depth 0 water is only ankle deep on a mech. Depth 0 hexes are treated as if they are clear. So take full damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Carey
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much! I was very confused about that blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.