Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Robo-fans...

So I've been wanting to teach a few friends this game, they're light boardgamers, mostly just catan, scrabble, pandemic type games, and also a few games of X-wing (years ago).

In playing this, i'm finding it has SO many 'rule exceptions'...things like cover, LOS, sponsor cards, pilots, orbital strikes, unlocked achievements, destroyed buildings, recon movement, etc, etc, etc. I'm finding I'm often saying "Oh, sorry, in THAT particular case, the rule is actually X"...which leads to perhaps a bit of rule overload fatigue. In my experience, throwing so many rule-exeptions at a noobie, makes them start to get 'over it', and I don't want to lose them!

Does anyone have any tips on things to leave out, or ways to play that make it a bit easier for new people to pick up? I know we're probably al experienced gamers here, so try and put your n00b-friendly thinking caps on, and throw some tips my way, if you wouldn't mind!

Also, this would help with me teaching my young sons as well.

Thanks in advance, everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know that Esoteric Order of Games has a copy, and I'm really hoping that he puts together one of his amazing FAQ / Summary sheets for the game. I've just started diving into the box myself and my 6 year old might murder me in my sleep if I don't let him play soon (he plays as a 'teammate' on more complex games), so I'll update how I start breaking down rules for him to understand the game once I get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Feyes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I would take the Harry Potter deckbuilder approach and introduce new rules piecemeal per game.

Start with just the HHs, no drones, no pilots, no sponsorship cards, no achievement board with upgrades. Create pre-configured faction decks for each player with one of each type of weapon (1 primary and 2 secondary) with orbital, reaction, and movement.

Let them play as normal with movement, combat, tagging, and resetting. Normal end of game conditions.

Then, if they like it, start introducing new elements per game. Drones and deployments. Then pilots. Then creating their own factor deck. Then Sponsorship cards. Then achievement board and upgrades (with standard board). And so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like a good way to ease people into the potential complexity of the game without loosing too much of the unique fun of it.

Also, I got direct confirmation from EOoG over on his Google Plus page that he is indeed working on a rules summary sheet for GKR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m using this “how to play” video from Weta’s Youtube channel to prepare myself and my game group for our premier with GKR this week, really excellent video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the file section for a handy playthrough summary that would help with teaching

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.