Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is now two years old. When I look at the stats here and compare it with others (same publisher, same designer, same genre ...) it does not get much love or attention.

I'd imagine, if FFG would have published this game with a Star Wars theme, it would have sold like Star Wars: Rebellion. The game itself is really great, but Eagle/Gryphon did a bad job in publishing it: the artwork is pathetic, the fonts used are hard to read if you sit far from the tech tiles, and the (often bent) minis and overall production feels a little cheap.

Nevertheless, the game itself is great, and I'm still convinced that the dreaded Galactic War in the end is a very clever design element and the game builds up tension until the final conflict happens and the last scoring of the game begins.

Now, after we played the game yesterday (4 players), we discussed a lot of these things afterwards, and also two specific issues:

1. The Covert Mission Box/Deck

Just one covert mission per round and only by the (eligible) player who is in front in the initiative order ... we have two issues here.

Why not allowing more than one mission? Mr. Drover himself offered a variant where this is made possible. However, this might raise a problem with the tech tile Anarchy ("Gain 3 VP per covert mission accomplished by owner"). This one has to be corrected to 2 VP or even down to 1 VP ... what do you think?

Poll
How many VP per Covert Mission should the Anarchy Tech tile offer (if you play with the multiple Covert mission variant rule from Mr. Drover):
3 VP (leave it as it is - even if it is much more powerful now)
2 VP
1 VP
      3 answers
Poll created by PzVIE

Also, the order of resolution. The current rule is "all eligible players in initiative order". Why not in order of force? A player with just one hero but on #1 in initiative order gets always the Covert Mission, as long as he continues to put a worker on #1 initiative space (and has enough force to pay for that mission of course). Changing that would devalue the initiative order a little bit, but would IMHO lead to a better spread of those cards.

Poll
When playing with the "unlimited Covert Missions" variant from Mr. Drover, would a change in player order as described above be a good thing?
Yes
No
Don't care
      3 answers
Poll created by PzVIE

2. The Imperial Action Deck

A similar thing is the Imperial Action deck. On one hand, there's the race for the 7 points in the Senate, on the other hand, you can play one of those shiny cards that often offers you big influences over the map. However, why not allowing more than one auction here, leading to a play of up to three cards? The deck is thick enough to allow that. IMHO, it would have two benefits: the map is subject to more changes and less static (negative: less calculable) and senators without a chance for 1st place (and the 7 senate VP) would have more meaning in this box.

Poll
Would it be a good thing to use more than one Imperial Action card per turn?
Yes
No
Don't Care
      3 answers
Poll created by PzVIE

Please, feel free to elaborate your votes below! I'm very interested in opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
PzVIE wrote:
This game is now two years old. When I look at the stats here and compare it with others (same publisher, same designer, same genre ...) it does not get much love or attention.

I'd imagine, if FFG would have published this game with a Star Wars theme, it would have sold like Star Wars: Rebellion. The game itself is really great, but Eagle/Gryphon did a bad job in publishing it: the artwork is pathetic, the fonts used are hard to read if you sit far from the tech tiles, and the (often bent) minis and overall production feels a little cheap.

Nevertheless, the game itself is great, and I'm still convinced that the dreaded Galactic War in the end is a very clever design element and the game builds up tension until the final conflict happens and the last scoring of the game begins.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play with the designer's variant rules for Covert Missions and score 2 points per mission for the Anarchy tech. I also use a minimum cost of 1 for each mission. Your idea of using strength in the box instead of initiative to determine order of play is interesting, but I don't feel that there is a problem with the current rule. Why are you concerned with the first player having first choice? It was that way with the discovery box in Empires: Age of Discovery and I never had an issue with it.

I like the fact that only one Imperial Action card can be used in each round and I like the current rules for determining which player gets to choose. The only variant that I use is to refresh all of these cards at the end of the round. Since these cards can be real game changers, I feel that allowing too many of them to come into play could make things very chaotic. Also, the winner of the 2nd (or 3rd) auction would potentially be getting a theoretically equivalent power for a significantly lower cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
rfeldster wrote:
Why are you concerned with the first player having first choice? It was that way with the discovery box in Empires: Age of Discovery and I never had an issue with it.

We played the last game RAW - so only one covert mission per turn, and I always started out taking initiative slot 1 and always got a covert mission (4VP). This frustrated the other players a little, who had also units in the box. I guess this problem is solved when you allow more than one covert mission.

rfeldster wrote:
Since these cards can be real game changers, I feel that allowing too many of them to come into play could make things very chaotic. Also, the winner of the 2nd (or 3rd) auction would potentially be getting a theoretically equivalent power for a significantly lower cost.

Good points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.